Vinyl guck...

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Vinyl guck...

Postby ChaseGod » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Just did my first dye and when I weeded the stuff I wanted off for the next color I found there is the sticky guck and I don't want that on there for the next dip so how do I get it off without screwing the already dyed portion? Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere else but I have not seen it.

Thanks in advance and I plan to show off my work as soon as I figure this out.

Last edited by ChaseGod on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
ChaseGod
Noob

Favorite Disc: Xcaliber

Re: Vinyl guck...

Postby jubuttib » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:22 pm

If you've already dyed the disc, then the color is in the plastic and is impossible to remove, at least completely. So just do pretty much whatever you want to get the gunk off, apart from the harshest chemicals.

Don't have any experience though about this though, so you might want to wait for a second opinion.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:50 pm

Don't worry about the gunk. In my experience the dye will go right over that stuff.
you should be fine.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby eky8 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:41 pm

I am having the same problem. If you run it under cold water and rub hard you can get it off. But it takes forever. I started using solvent from work. (I'm a printer.) But it will lighten the dyed color a little. But not enough to make me stop using it for now. My experience is the opposite of acidbath's the dye will NOT dye through the gunk. I am interested to see if anyone has something that works well. Since I started doing lots of multi color dye's the process to remove all the gunk between each color is driving me nuts.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby ChUcK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Dip-dyeing with water will not dye through the gunk well, it needs to come off. Whenever you are weeding the vinyl between color dips, keep a trickle of hot water running on the disc as you carefully peel the vinyl off. This will minimize goo residue. After weeding, do like eky8 says and use cold water and furious rubbing, along with saliva and hot water with furious rubbing as well.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:21 am

Weird. I've gone right over it on some of my jobs. I just peel off layer two, and throw it in the dye. When I saw that gunk at first, I thought it was ruined. but after dying several I noticed it seemed to not even care if there was anything in the way.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby ChaseGod » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks for all the help, I did not think I would get such varied answers but I went ahead and dyed over it. It seemed to work but you can see small specks where the dye did not take as well. Here are the first few I have done. Thanks again to all for the info on the site as it was really fun.

1) Green Lion on Champion Wraith
2) Purple Skull on Champion Wraith
3) Zombie on Glow Champion Xcaliber
4) Lion on Blue Champion Xcaliber

ChaseGod
Noob

Postby plshrk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:26 am

WOAH!! This is your first time? Those are awesome! All handcut?
www.LandSharkSports.com

Latitude 64/Innova/Gateway/Vibram/Discraft/MVP/Golden Retriever

Your source for Billiards and Disc Sports Equipment
plshrk
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: LandSharkSports.com

Postby NoLifeLeft » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:44 am

I find that putting the disc in the freezer for a couple of minutes makes the peel cleaner.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby ChaseGod » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:01 am

Yup first time all hand cut. I really have to credit the site as to why they turned out well on the first try.
ChaseGod
Noob

Postby eky8 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:58 am

Those are exceptional dyes. Especially first time dyes. I'd like to know where you find those patterns. I've looked for images similar to those and haven't found anything nearly as nice as those. Great work.

I have had the small spots of non dye on the multi color dyes I've done where the guck stuck. You can see it in the red on the target dye in the figuring out the dye process thread on page 2. It's not terrible but I find it annoying.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby lefty » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:24 am

laundry detergent, let it soak on disc for 5 mins. or so. rinse with hot/warm water while rubbing with a rag. I use something with "shag" to it. (towel/ old sock inside out).....lefty
the one thing we need is a left-hand monkey wrench
lefty
Noob

Favorite Disc: roc-a-buzz

Return to Disc Artwork