Driving Critique Wanted

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Driving Critique Wanted

Postby Mike C » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Well this is where I originally meant to post my videos but I accidentally posted under the Technique section.

Here's a slow-motion video of me throwing 4 (Pathetic) drives. 2 Wizards, a Teebird and a Destroyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx1BFgmPomc

Watching it myself I can already see some things I blatantly did wrong, like on drive #1 released too early, final 3rd of the x step has my feet too wide apart and unbalanced. Looking at all four drives I think I need to slow down and shorten my x-step, and accelerate later on the pull through. These drives were a little below average for me, usually throw this hole better.

This is the video I posted yesterday, just a collection of Wizard drives with the holes listed (Distances are on DGCR). Not quite as boring as the first video :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx9w6cOs ... r_embedded
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: Driving Critique Wanted

Postby Jeronimo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:31 pm

You're form is actually pretty good. It's clear you're getting some snap into those throws. I'll let the other guys tear you down though.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby keltik » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:43 pm

your form looks good. you can't crack 300 with a putter with crap form. the things you desire to "fix" in your form are minor and more accuracy related. if you deem it necessary to adjust then do so.

on a more personal note you are just as goofy and ugly on video as I am. Welcome to the Neanderthal Disc Hucker's Club. :lol: love the beard btw, but not love in a Frank_D kinda way ;)
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby masterbeato » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:13 pm

you are not releasing the disc at full elbow extension.

when the disc is at your left pec, your shoulders are already coming through.

try to keep your shoulders parallel for as long as humanly possible or at least until the disc is positioned in the armpit (past right pec) position.

you are pivoting which is good, and just work on leading with that elbow more.

otherwise your form is solid you are getting decent amounts of acceleration.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby JR » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:57 pm

The right leg kicks forward from the hip during the plant step. That lengthens the stride and makes getting weight forward more difficult. Which is even harder from the right knee getting straighter at the end. The right knee should be bent and the left straight at the hit.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mike C » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks for the tips.

JR, I see what you mean with my right leg. Watching it close I'm surprised I've never noticed how long and off balance my final step looks.

masterbeato, I thought about what you said as I was playing today, trying to lead with the elbow more and rotate my shoulders later. I tried getting my arm more fully extended before releasing too, ended up very badly the first few tries but when I got it right distance came more easily. One thing I noticed watching my video then watching some of yours is you keep the disc much closer to your chest as you pull past the right pec / armpit area, something I'm trying to emulate.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby masterbeato » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Mike C wrote:Thanks for the tips.

One thing I noticed watching my video then watching some of yours is you keep the disc much closer to your chest as you pull past the right pec / armpit area, something I'm trying to emulate.

correct!

that is the one thing that would be great for you to emulate and the only position that needs to come in tight to your body is starting from the right pec, and through them armpit area. so you can accelerate through that power zone.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Mike C » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:44 pm

I loaded up my bag with some extras and threw them in a field, so I could see my form. A few things to note:

-Didn't go full power on any of the throws, field wasn't long enough.
-My computer is such a piece of shit that I can't view videos on it, which makes it impossible to edit the video in movie maker. So, sorry I couldn't cut out me waving my disc around like a nerd in the beginning to make sure I was in the frame, and to be honest I wanted to delete that FH Orc throw too, that's such a joke! :D

Anyways if you see anything wrong with my form please point it out.

I tried to throw a bit of a variety. I threw a Wizard flat, then hyzer, then two anhyzer Buzz throws, a Predator Thumber, a Stalker BH roller, Orc FH, then a flat OLF drive followed by a flex shot OLF drive. Then I threw the two Wizards I used for a tee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X_xAA75f44

So go ahead, tell me how jealous you are of my FH skills :D
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:12 am

Falt footedness is gonna hurt you soon try to pivot on the heel or the ball of the foot. Feldy recommends toe landing rolling on the left side of the shoe to heel, pivoting on the heel and stepping through onto the ball of the foot and stepping forward with the left leg. You're missing the pause. And full too fast too early although it's not too bad. Your torso should pause turning a little while when you're pulling the arm from the reach back to the right pec position. Then the hips should turn toward the target explosively. That will likely change your timing so a new vid would be helpful.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Mike C » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:18 am

JR wrote:Falt footedness is gonna hurt you soon try to pivot on the heel or the ball of the foot. Feldy recommends toe landing rolling on the left side of the shoe to heel, pivoting on the heel and stepping through onto the ball of the foot and stepping forward with the left leg. You're missing the pause. And full too fast too early although it's not too bad. Your torso should pause turning a little while when you're pulling the arm from the reach back to the right pec position. Then the hips should turn toward the target explosively. That will likely change your timing so a new vid would be helpful.

The video isn't a good example of my pivot, which is usually cleaner on a teepad, but I will keep that in mind.

I agree with you on the reach back, pause, hips leading etc. That's probably my weakest link in my throw at the moment from what I can tell. I've been working on it, but I'm still off with the timing. Thanks for pointing those things out to me.

Actually this part:

"Your torso should pause turning a little while when you're pulling the arm from the reach back to the right pec position. Then the hips should turn toward the target explosively."

Just made me realize something. I've been focusing on late acceleration, but focusing on doing that with my arm only. I've completely neglected to think of late acceleration as a full body concept and had been applying that just to my arm. Definitely something to think about tonight, thanks again.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby justaguy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:59 am

Didn't look very pathetic to me :D
justaguy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Stalker

Postby JR » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:28 am

Welcome I'm from Helsinki too. Ollaanko me tavattu?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Mike C » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0vcBkGOKpc

Still doing a lot of the same things wrong but I figured I'd post this anyways, since it's better than that empty my bag video. I need to get away from the course for a while and go out to the field, and work on my timing issues...
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mike C » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:59 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXUx7PE-pR0

When I watch that I wonder how in the hell I throw as far as I do, no joke. I'm getting good snap but my body position looks horrible.

-Looks like I'm turning too much too early, I'm turned backwards on my first step it seems.
-Shoulders don't seem to rotate enough before the hit. I think correcting the above would help me turn them later, maybe a longer reach back would help too?
-I feel like everything from the shoulders down isn't doing half of what it could.

Making this slow motion video really helped me to see all this. For some reason at full speed I felt like I was doing okay, but slowing it down made it painful to watch. I'm sorry if it feels like you guys are talking to a brick wall. I go out to the field thinking about body positioning and stuff, and it just doesn't seem to be coming together. I feel like if I could correct that, with the snap I seem to be getting I should get a big distance jump.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Redisculous » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:13 pm

Does the explosive movement of the hips happen during the first or second part of the upper body rotation?
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Next

Return to Video Critique