Shoes - Keep tearing up the toes

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Shoes - Keep tearing up the toes

Postby DiscinLeopard » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:10 pm

Hey guys, I know there are a ton of threads about shoes on here, but none of them have catered to what I am looking for an answer to. Every weekend when I'm off of work, I go and play 32-48 holes each day. The problem is almost every time I go back into work on Tuesday, I've torn the toe of my right sneaker and the sole is loose. Now, I know this is because I am wearing payless shoes, but I want to know if there are any kind of shoes out there that hold the toes for someone who doesn't have a buttload of money? Thanks in advance for any info.
DiscinLeopard
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Star Xcaliber

Re: Shoes - Keep tearing up the toes

Postby dgdave » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Ya get what you pay for. Instead of paying 20 for a pair and then need new one, pay around 100 and get some shoes that last so much longer. Also, most shoes in that price range have some sort if warranty so if they do blow out, the manufacturer will either repair or replace them free of charge.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Roy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:30 pm

I've never torn a toe on my shoe and I've played for 11 years. I know people who have, but they drag their footin their throwing motion. I dont know if that's necessarily bad, but it isn't a common thing for a good throw. I'd slow down your throw and figure out what's going on. maybe you can tweek it a little bit and save yourself some wear and tear and maybe gain some distance on your throw.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby JHern » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Yeah, I think you save money and trouble in the long run by saving up for a better pair of shoes. They won't smell as bad, nor damage your feet and skeletal structure which could otherwise make old age painful and lead to expensive medical bills (that isn't included on the price tag at Payless, but it is implied).

E.g., try Keen shoes, they are quite robust.

Roy wrote:...they drag their footin their throwing motion. I dont know if that's necessarily bad, but it isn't a common thing for a good throw...

It depends whether it is a drag or a push off the side and toe. I've seen people kill discs well over 500' with a good side push, and this would wear out the side of the shoe and toe areas pretty fast.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:39 am

Hey DiscinLeopard,

You are dragging your toe. But you already knew that.

Most forehand throwers drag their toe, including me. I typically blow out the right toe of a pair of shoes before any wear is noticeable anywhere else.

I use the same solution as you: I buy cheap shoes. I have tried expensive shoes (Merrils, Keens, etc). Generally they fared no better than cheaper shoes. A $150 toe wears out at about the same rate as a $25 toe.

I bought the Keens just because they have a built up toe. The toe did last longer but it didn't matter since they tore out on the sides.

Sometimes if you shop in a discount chain you can find great deals. I found a pair of Salomons in Marshalls (or was it TJ Maxx?). After trying them and liking them, I went back and bought a couple more pairs.

If you happen to find a pair of shoes you really like you can replace the toe once it wears off. The product is known as a "pitching toe" and can be found in the baseball section of sporting goods stores. This is a rubber bumper which glues on to your shoe. You won't win any fashion awards with an oversized black bumper on your right toe but they are effective. The downside is they cost about $12 last time I bought one. If a new pair of shoes is in the $20 -30 range, would you rather have a new pair or a patched up old pair?

Some players like the more expensive shoes because they are waterproof (Gortex or whatever). Cheap shoes usually are not waterproof but if you use Gortex socks with your cheap shoes they are. And the Gortex socks transfer readily between shoes, cleats and boots. So I, of course, buy cheap shoes, cleats and boots.

Disc golf puts a huge strain on shoes, even if you don't drag your toe. The sideways torque is more than some shoes can handle. In the first few years I played I was a backhander and bought nice shoes. They looked good but many of them did not last. These days in the summer months I wear long socks (soccer socks) to protect my legs from foliage so no matter what else I wear I won't win any fashion awards. I can live with that. Since I can't get by on my looks maybe I can on my charm? Maybe not.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Redisculous » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:04 am

There are tons of products you can put on the toe of your shoe once it starts to wear down or blow out. Shoe Goo is the standard but many reputable brads (Kiwi etc) have thier own version. It is basically heavy duty rubber cement. I like to apply it to the toe of my shoe immediatley when I buy them. I put several liberal coats on and then add more as it starts to wear down, so there is no real wear on my shoes.

If you are blowing out the sides though, this will not help you much.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby DiscinLeopard » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:56 am

dgdave wrote:Ya get what you pay for. Instead of paying 20 for a pair and then need new one, pay around 100 and get some shoes that last so much longer. Also, most shoes in that price range have some sort if warranty so if they do blow out, the manufacturer will either repair or replace them free of charge.

Duh. I know this. thanks for your insight (or should I say repeating back to me what I already typed out).

Roy, I drag my foot on my sidearm shots because it gives me a little more traction, hold and pivot.

JHern, thanks for the idea on Keen shoes. I'll give them a looksie.

Mark Ellis, Thanks. I definitely got a case of the feel good when I read your post. There's a lot of those stores around here and I'm sure that at one of them there is the pair of shoes marked down into my price range.

Redisculous, if I can't find a pair of shoes to match my budget I may end up trying out this Shoe Goo. Thanks.

And thanks for everyone else who might post something here later. Appreciate it.
DiscinLeopard
Noob

Postby Big Weekend » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:22 am

http://workingperson.com/products/22_36 ... 40008.html

Buy these and thank me later...trust me....amazing comfort, support, and once you eventually wear through the rubber, it doesn't matter, because you have steel underneath...makes a killer spark at night on tee pads too.

Let me know if you get a pair.
Big Weekend
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Blue Pro Rhyno

Postby Redisculous » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:48 pm

Man, I have shoe goo on my keens and merrels, cos I toe drag and it is going to wear down no matter how much you spend on it. Preventative maintanence my friend.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby JHern » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:05 pm

Mark's idea about the baseball toe thing sounds like a nice solution to your dilemma.

Believe me, I understand being on a tight budget. I try to watch for sales or whatever at stores that sell good shoes. For example, REI sells off their return items on certain days of the year for insanely reduced prices. Get a pair of good Keen shoes that ordinarily go for $100-ish for as little as $20. Of course, these events can also be madhouses...the store here in Sacramento witnesses people camping overnight just to be the first in the door!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby DiscinLeopard » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:36 pm

JHern wrote:the store here in Sacramento witnesses people camping overnight just to be the first in the door!

I'm only 6 months out of Sacramento myself right now.... to be back in Cali. :D
DiscinLeopard
Noob

Postby Yehosha » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:51 am

Having this same issue myself. I tried 10 coats of plasti dip on the portion that had worn away and I'll see how that goes. If it doesn't work, I'll try the pitching toe thing Mark mentioned. And if that doesn't work those steel toe boots Big mentioned look nice and will be my next shoe purchase.
Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Dogma » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:07 am

Play a few rounds in a pair of sandals. You'll be motivated to break that toe dragging habit.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:30 am

Dogma wrote:Play a few rounds in a pair of sandals. You'll be motivated to break that toe dragging habit.

And to toughen up your feet for sandals, drive the Flintstone-mobile, barefoot, to work for the next couple weeks.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby niq » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:07 pm

i realize this is an old thread, but have you guys tried skateboarding shoes? They're designed to hold up to sandpaper (grip tape on a skateboard). I haven't really thrown sidearm in a while but i used to throw exclusively sidearm and have never had the problem you guys are talking about. I've seen wear on the right toe, but not enough to stop me from still wearing them.
niq
Noob

Next

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear