hyzer/anhyzer technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby garublador » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:56 pm

Goob The Noob wrote:
garublador wrote:That only applies if you want to maintain the quality you are at. If you want to improve, you have to continue to assume it's broken and needs fixing, no matter what "it" is. It's the only way to make progress.

Not necessarily. Improvement can come from many areas that don't involve changing your technique - increased fitness, improved mental health and of course practice practice practice.

Yes, 100% necessarily. All of those things you mentined are still fixing things. If you don't change anything, you won't improve. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is just a cliche that applies to something you don't want to improve. Assuming the guy wants to improve (which is a safe assumption, considering he's asking the question) then he will have to fix something.

What exactly does "practice, practice, practice" improve anyway, if not technique? He's asking a technique question in the technique forum. He obviously wants help with his technique.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby kling » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:19 pm

Blake_T wrote:...leaving the left/right shoulders on an angle equal to the hyzer angle.

This is what I suspected, thank you again for confirming that. Will try this when I get the opportunity to throw some again :)

I'm just starting to get the disc where I want, the throw I tried to describe above is the only way I've succeessfully thrown hyzers, mainly because I have no idea what I'm doing. "Pretty well" is perhaps an overstatement but it works. My intention, since I'm a rookie, is to lern the most effective/clean/"proper" technique, hence the thread. :)
kling
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:00 pm

presidio hills wrote:is that rico? it definitely does look straining.

it is rico... and unless you have a bionic ankle loaded with ball bearings i don't recommend doing what he does.

one thing i'm curious about is what's up with jay reading's style? does his weird reachback cause him to do last second compensation on the pull through? do his shoulders stay on the right plane? i wonder if as disc golf progresses there will be only a few distinct styles based on body height and girth... or something along those lines.

jay's reach back is fine. downside = he comes over the disc and finishes all of them with anhyzer. jay used to throw air bounces and this is a common "fix" for the air bounce that gets the nose down but is not the fundamental method for getting the nose down. i will say that he does get his weight forward and has a good finish, but the shoulder orientation during his rotation is definite anhyzer technique while his throws are relatively flat. if you watch him lean his head that shows where his momentum is focused, which also is not in the forward direction.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Goob The Noob » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:50 pm

garublador wrote:Yes, 100% necessarily. All of those things you mentined are still fixing things. If you don't change anything, you won't improve. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is just a cliche that applies to something you don't want to improve. Assuming the guy wants to improve (which is a safe assumption, considering he's asking the question) then he will have to fix something.

What exactly does "practice, practice, practice" improve anyway, if not technique? He's asking a technique question in the technique forum. He obviously wants help with his technique.

Practice improves consistancy through muscle memory which in turn improves confidence. Improving your technique is obviously a good thing, I simply stated that you can improve without changing your techinque. When I say changing your technique, I mean changing the basic physcal movements used to throw the disc, hit a ball, eat spaghetti, etc...
Goob The Noob
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:56 am

It it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Well, it will be broke. Rather, technique flaws lead to injuries.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Technique