New camera, new videos

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

New camera, new videos

Postby maxarinkel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:56 am

Here's some video I shot with my new camera. Most of these were in the 390-420' range, which is a pretty decent step for me. I have problems with nose down, which I'm working on, and I don't get my weight forward as much as I'd like, but both of those are related to physical problems rather than form things, so tell me what I'm still doing wrong I guess. I'm throwing mostly Teebirds in this, with a Destroyer mixed in for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDY8xHe4YzA

And another, slower one from the front:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd_KrkUnxBg

EDIT 6-09 video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0yN9lX_S84 more distance, due to tighter pull, more nose-down, still need to work on hip rotation and facing the target before/at the throw.
Last edited by maxarinkel on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
maxarinkel
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: New camera, new videos

Postby JR » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:05 pm

Try to pause the rotation at chest pointed 90 degrees left of the target a little longer so that the disc reaches the right pec close to the body. Not pre cocking the wrist helps in getting the disc closer. Your form looks repeatable so you can easily add more speed and a run up most likely. Try not to run full speed first to see if you lose form or accuracy. If you don't go ahead full tilt and enjoy. But before you do that try to move the elbow a little closer to the target before chopping it straight. You do it well sometimes.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby maxarinkel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:09 pm

JR wrote:Try to pause the rotation at chest pointed 90 degrees left of the target a little longer so that the disc reaches the right pec close to the body. Not pre cocking the wrist helps in getting the disc closer. Your form looks repeatable so you can easily add more speed and a run up most likely. Try not to run full speed first to see if you lose form or accuracy. If you don't go ahead full tilt and enjoy. But before you do that try to move the elbow a little closer to the target before chopping it straight. You do it well sometimes.

I feel like I'm cocking my wrist as a result of trying to keep my orientation nose down. Is there a better way to do this without tensing my wrist so much? I think i get what you're talking about with the rotation, but should my chest be facing the target when I release the disc, or should my chest rotate to face the target AS I release? I realize that's a weird distinction, but hopefully that makes sense.
maxarinkel
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:02 pm

You should face the target at the rip.

Prior to the arm reaching the right pec position the chest should be at 90 degrees left of the target.

See if you can keep the forearm loose by keeping the wrist in neutral position until the elbow starts to straighten and only then forcing the wrist down. The maintaining of wrist down at the hit may be easier this way. If you have trouble doing this try to begin the wrist down motion at the right pec position.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby maxarinkel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:09 pm

JR wrote:You should face the target at the rip.

Prior to the arm reaching the right pec position the chest should be at 90 degrees left of the target.

See if you can keep the forearm loose by keeping the wrist in neutral position until the elbow starts to straighten and only then forcing the wrist down. The maintaining of wrist down at the hit may be easier this way. If you have trouble doing this try to begin the wrist down motion at the right pec position.

That's a good thought. I will give that a shot next time I do fieldwork. Thanks.
maxarinkel
Noob

Postby maxarinkel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:35 am

Here's video from my fieldwork yesterday. really trying to keep the disc close to the chest and letmy hips rotate a bit more. I know they are still pretty open at the throw, so that's what I'm working on today, but I feel really good about my pull through and about getting a bit more nose down as per JR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0yN9lX_S84

My distances were more consistently in the 420-450 range, with the second drive of this vid being (admittedly kind of a fluke/outlier) around 500'. All with Destroyers, about 170g.
maxarinkel
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:47 am

Your final step length varies according to whether or not you raise the right leg from the hip joint toward the target or not. You do it both ways. But how about more run up speed and more stpes before the x steps? There's more power there to be unlocked. That is if you don't have medical issues making that dangerous.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby maxarinkel » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:30 am

Not dangerous. I just have problems with my knees from doing heavy weightlifting when I was younger, so they can be a little weak at times. I'm for sure working on it though. I feel like just adding the speed I did helped me to unlock that 450 distance. I threw another 490 ish at a course yesterday as well, which was cool, but makes me want to just keep doing field work. Just have to remember to keep putting practice in there too, lol.
maxarinkel
Noob

Return to Video Critique