Books

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Books

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:46 am

I've heard people praise it before, but I don't remember anything very good about it other than the coed shower scene. Granted, I only saw it that one time, and I *might* have a better appreciation for it now, but I haven't had much desire to try it again.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jerrod » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:52 am

Tossin' in Memphis wrote:anybody read much Cormac Macarthy other than The Road.......Good Stuff

I have only read The Road so far but I am planning on grabbing Blood Meridian for my next read.
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:55 am

I have read several of his novels but most were in my early 20's...I recall them all being heavy and difficult but worth the read...I particularly recall Child of God as being short in length and brutal in subject matter..I am reading the Border trilogy right now....
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:08 am

Cormac McCarthy is a bad writer. Here is my impression of him:

"hey I'm Cormac McCarthy and am too cool to use proper punctuation. It doesn't add anything aesthetically or grammatically to my books but I'm going to do it anyway.

P.S. read my western books that I pass off as serious fiction unlike louis l'amour who is genre writer which means he sucks even though he writes better books in pretty much every way"
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:12 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Cormac McCarthy is a bad writer. Here is my impression of him:

"hey I'm Cormac McCarthy and am too cool to use proper punctuation. It doesn't add anything aesthetically or grammatically to my books but I'm going to do it anyway.

P.S. read my western books that I pass off as serious fiction unlike louis l'amour who is genre writer which means he sucks even though he writes better books in pretty much every way"

Does this make Vonnegut and Joyce bad writers?
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:17 am

Tossin' in Memphis wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:Cormac McCarthy is a bad writer. Here is my impression of him:

That depends, do you think that McCarthy's lack of punctuation is the same as Vonnegut's or Joyces' stylized punctuation?
Frank Delicious

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:23 am

Frank Delicious wrote:
Tossin' in Memphis wrote:

That depends, do you think that McCarthy's lack of punctuation is the same as Vonnegut's or Joyces' stylized punctuation?

Its not the same...they are simply quirks. Although I have enjoyed Vonnegut, "stylized" is in the eye of the reader...McCarthy is often writing very short,terse prose for individuals that simply don't say much.....its as much a "style" as many other approaches. To each his own....Not knowing where most of you are from, Do you think that McCarthy appeals to fans of Southern fiction more ofthen than not? Being in the delta, southern fiction takes on a new meaning.
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:32 am

stylized is anything doesn't follow the norm. Not using quotations when people are talking isn't a quark, it's just dumb. It doesn't add anything to his books or prose, it just comes off as lazy writing to me.

As someone from the south I don't really see McCarthy as a southern writer, he is definitely a western writer.
Frank Delicious

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:34 am

Frank Delicious wrote:stylized is anything doesn't follow the norm. Not using quotations when people are talking isn't a quark, it's just dumb. It doesn't add anything to his books or prose, it just comes off as lazy writing to me.

As someone from the south I don't really see McCarthy as a southern writer, he is definitely a western writer.

I can dig what your sayin'...he's a fellow Tennessean!
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jsw » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:54 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Starship Troopers was a great movie, you have no taste.

Truth. Give it another try - it was a great flick.

And yes, the movie "I Am Legend" is pretty much nothing at all like the book. There was an interpretation in the 70's called "The Omega Man" starring Charlton Heston which is a lot more true to the actual plot - and its a lot better because of that.

The book is so much darker then the movie.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Roy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:53 pm

I have some McCarthy audio books... He doesnt use quotation marks? That would be annoying.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:47 pm

Jsw wrote:

OK, I've put it on hold at the library and will give it another go. I remember it being pretty cheeseball though, like it could have been a lower budget Michael Bay movie.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:52 pm

and another

There is literally no reason not to use quotation marks in those examples.

some call me...tim? wrote:
Jsw wrote:

OK, I've put it on hold at the library and will give it another go. I remember it being pretty cheeseball though, like it could have been a lower budget Michael Bay movie.

Think of it as a B movie critique on fascism.
Frank Delicious

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Image

and another

There is literally no reason not to use quotation marks in those examples.

some call me...tim? wrote:
Jsw wrote:

Think of it as a B movie critique on fascism.

Maybe he just wants you to really pay attention :P
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Ultimately, I have to admit that the "reason" he did it that way is because he preferred to do it that way; it's that simple. Plenty of folks love him and apparently some don't...no big deal. I think it is clear that you are well read as are many others..That is what is going to keep me coming to this thread. His writing is demanding at times but other writers who are much more grammatically "normal" in their approach are a little hard to follow sometimes as well. I read The Complete Sherlock Holmes earlier this year and found myself re-reading certain portions for the sake of clarity! Bibliophiles Unite!
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.