Books

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Books

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:30 pm

I think that if you are going to break the established rules of English in a "literary" novel than it should add something to the book, otherwise use standard grammar like everyone else.

I am trying to read Kavalier and Klay right now and am not really digging Chabon's style at all. I hope it gets better at some point. I might put it down and pick up something else. I've got The Prestige waiting in the wings.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I am trying to read Kavalier and Klay right now and am not really digging Chabon's style at all. I hope it gets better at some point. I might put it down and pick up something else.

I really liked Kavalier and Klay, I think it took me a little bit to get into it, but I didn't find Chabon's style off-putting or anything. I also really dug comic books as a kid, so maybe that helped, but I thought it was a great book all-in-all.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Flipflat » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:40 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:I am trying to read Kavalier and Klay right now and am not really digging Chabon's style at all. I hope it gets better at some point. I might put it down and pick up something else.

I really liked Kavalier and Klay, I think it took me a little bit to get into it, but I didn't find Chabon's style off-putting or anything. I also really dug comic books as a kid, so maybe that helped, but I thought it was a great book all-in-all.

That was an awsome book, but you got to be able to get along with Chabon's super-long run-on sentences. He's got a great style of describing things, there's a ton of really beautiful lines in it. The story it's self is freaking epic. I don't know how far you're into it, but I'd give it a hundred pages and if you're still not interested then move on. If you do, I'd suggest Chabon's Wonder Boys.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Jerrod » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:43 pm

I liked the style of McCarthy in The Road. I didn't know he did that in all books. I'm interested to see if it works in a different story.

I just read Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Best fantasy book I have read in years and absolutely on par with any I have ever read.
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Jerrod wrote:I just read Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Best fantasy book I have read in years and absolutely on par with any I have ever read.

I recently read that one too, and I liked it as well. I still prefer GRRM's stuff, dark and verbose as it is (zip it, Frank), but I'm looking forward to the next two books for sure. And at least those are already written, unlike GRRM's next entry--who knows if that one is ever going to see the light of day.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:49 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:I still prefer GRRM's stuff, dark and verbose as it is (zip it, Frank)

*snickers*
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:02 am

I'm reading Modern Times by Paul Johnson.......good stuff so far...History is actually a recent addition to my reading list so I am flying blind to some extent. I found it for 50 cents at a garage sale!
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:22 am

My buddy let me borrow the Illuminatus Trilogy which I started reading a bit last night. I may put it on pause and pick up Prometheus Rising to read before...
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:59 am

The Illuminatus Trilogy is the only book I've read where I found it easier to get through by being "under the influence" while reading it. It's a fun read though once you get into it and get used to the disjointed style of writing.

Right now I'm working on Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. I'd heard good things about Mieville before, but this is my first experience with him. It's steampunk/sci-fi/fantasy and very, very weird. It kind of reminds me of Naked Lunch, only it makes sense, and is actually entertaining to read. It's good stuff, I can't wait to see how it finishes and definitely will be checking out more of his stuff in the future.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DiscZombie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:01 am

Why I sure do know a good book... This book is for adults. A true story about a shark hunter off Seista Key.
www.sharkmanofcortez.com
DiscZombie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: D challenger

Postby BLURR » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:08 pm

Just started reading "Data Mining and Predictive Analysis: Intelligence Gathering and Crime Analysis" for my job. And I started reading Treasure Island with my son at night. All good stuff.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby colombo117 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Don't know how missed this thread.

I am currently reading a few books for enjoyment. I started "The Riddle Master Trilogy" by Patricia McKillip and it is a beautifully written book. She uses language in its simplest form, yet it is unique and a real pleasure to read. Also I have been trying to make time for the first Stephen Donaldson "Covenant" Trilogy as I have heard good things about it and I have them sitting here waiting to be read.

Also, do any of you guys like short stories? I have a great anthology of science fiction and they are all short stories. The author was my prof. and I really feel that this book is full of gems worth reading.
http://www.amazon.com/Prentice-Anthology-Science-Fiction-Fantasy/dp/0130212806
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Roy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:16 pm

The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby jubuttib » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:26 am

Been reading the Unseen Academicals (Pratchett), and while it's still very good, there might be a hint that his Alzheimer's is slowly starting to take over. It's not as brilliant as the others I've read. Dunno, might be a coincidence.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Just started to get into Philip K Dick with Martian Time Slip, first of 5 in a single hardbound collection. That book was nuts and left me contemplating my own phsycotic health. I can't wait to read the next one Dr. Bloodmoney. :D
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.