Michigan Discers.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Michigan Discers.

Postby Jester87k » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:33 pm

So my main Courses I play are Stoney Creek and Cas Benton I live in Roseville witch is in middle of those 2 courses.
Anyone got any other sweet courses they recommend me driving out to? that aren't really that much further
Jester87k
Noob

Favorite Disc: Force

Re: Michigan Discers.

Postby Robin Hood » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Ahhh. I live in Clinton Township and the best local course is Addison Oaks. OU is also a good course.

Check out www.discgolfscene.com as pretty much the entire metro Detroit dg community is on there.
Force/Tracker/Hornet/Buzzz/Comet/Zone/Challenger
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby keepitfreshbrah » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:10 pm

I am from the Clarkston area, and I really enjoy the Holly Woods Course, however the new wholes still need alot of work. Then also driving out to Kensington is always worth the trip.
wizard|fuse|wasp|gazelle|predator|pd|roadrunner
keepitfreshbrah
Noob

Favorite Disc: Gazelle

Postby Flipflat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:55 pm

Cass Benton is pretty far from you, what's that like a 30min drive? You're passing a bunch of courses in Royal Oak, I know of 2 off the top of my head, and then there's firefighter's park in troy which isn't too far, or just as far as Cass. If you go to pdga.com and go to the course directory and put in your zip you'll get a bunch of courses near you. Here's the direct link:
http://www.pdga.com/course_directory
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:07 am

Jester87k wrote:So my main Courses I play are Stoney Creek and Cas Benton I live in Roseville witch is in middle of those 2 courses.
Anyone got any other sweet courses they recommend me driving out to? that aren't really that much further

If you go to PDGA.com and visit the course directory, you can punch in the zip code for Roseville (48066) and it lists 36 courses within a one hour drive.

Michigan has a wealth of fine courses, both public and private. While everyone will have their own preferences and standards, the public courses within an hour drive of you I view as being of world class quality are Kensington ( Milford, Black Locust permanent 27 holes and Toboggan-temp only in for the next couple weeks), Hudson Mills (Dexter, two 24 hole courses), Independence Lake (Whitmore Lake, two 18 hole courses, one permanent and one winter only temp) and Rolling Hills (Ypsi).

On my next tier of quality but still public and within an hour's drives are Cass Benton, Starr, Stony Creek, Grizzly Oaks, Willow, Ponds at Lakeshore, Goldenrod and Vienna.

The design of Cass Benton is great but the destruction, littering and hordes of bad attitude casuals brings it down a tier. At one time Addison Oaks and River Bends were great courses but time and poor redesigns have harmed them immeasurably.

On my short list of the finest courses in the state are Blue Gill (Wayland, private), Flip City (private, Shelby), Leviathon (Ludington), Kensington, Indy Lake, Hickory Hills (Traverse City), Sleepy Hollow (Laingsburg), Kimble Pines (Battle Creek), Oshtemo (Kalamazoo) and Discraft Ranch (private, Holly).
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Flipflat » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:17 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:The design of Cass Benton is great but the destruction, littering and hordes of bad attitude casuals brings it down a tier.

I totally agree. About 10 years ago when they put Cass in, it was really beautiful. I love the way the holes are set up. It had less people and way less litter. That place has deteriorated with the passage of time. I am fucking sick of the littering there, beer bottles and trash are strewen around garbage cans and sprinkled through the woods. I don't mind people who smoke weed, but I'm sick of coming up to teeboxes where there's a bunch of minors sitting on the benches rolling joints and drinking beer. Do they even play? Do they realize people with kids sometimes walk the course as a nature walk, or just to check out what the hell these peole are doing chucking frisbees? Last year there was even some kid (def. not 21) selling beer on one of the holes. I've seen cops roll through on foot and on horse, and have seen a few kids get arrested, but it doesn't seem to help. I wish you were charged to get in, just to get rid of the jackasses, but that'll never happen. Plus, a hell of alot of trees have fallen over the last couple of years (no one has removed the logs) which has sapped some of the beauty of the course. The course just seems abandoned to me.

Sorry for the rant :)
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby x-out » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:26 pm

*bump for this thread*

just moved to Michigan 3 weeks ago and love hearing about the wonderful courses im surrounded by now.

currently on a vacation in cali, but would like to have a list of must play courses once i get back ;)

michigan courses played:

osthemo, irving, robert morris, cold brook, knollwood, begg, meyer broadway
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby Acerunner » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:27 am

PLAY RIVERBENDS, 22 mile N ryan signs posted everywhere
its minutes away from stoney

hardest course around......
Acerunner
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Sidewinders

Postby Jester87k » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:04 am

ya ive played river bends. I liked it but seems really wet and swampy. + worst mosquites ever lol
Jester87k
Noob

Favorite Disc: Force

Postby colombo117 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:40 pm

If you come north you have to play the new course in Grayling at Hanson Hills. Great signage, new concrete pads, and a hell of a challenging course. Its a true players paradise.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Acerunner » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:34 pm

DAMM SKEETERS ARE EVERYWHERE lol :lol:
Acerunner
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Sidewinders

Postby trainwreck05 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:35 am

Since I'm a noob, I like to mess around at Brys park at 8mile & harper. It's a very poorly designed course, with a walking trail in the way. I like to pratice there.

I do like the course's in Royal Oak. I live in Warren & it's about a 15min drive from me.

Jester87k, how is the course at Cass Benton?
trainwreck05
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Flipflat » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:18 pm

trainwreck05 wrote:Jester87k, how is the course at Cass Benton?

Cass is nice. Nice layout for the holes. But it used to be nicer. Lots of trees have fallen in the woods, changing much of the fairways. Wayne county doesn't seem to like to keep up on the maintenance The pics on DGCR are way outdated. Lots of litter too. Plus (probably because of the location) lots of kids smoking, drinking, etc...
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Return to General Discussion