Distance article question

A spot where people can post questions on the Instructional Articles from the site.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Distance article question

Postby Toney » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:02 pm

In the Distance Article, there is this sentence "Many of the newer high-speed drivers behave a lot like projectiles. Players must throw them hard and flat and when they run out of juice they simply fall to the ground.' How would a Teebird be understood vs. an Orc? Is the Orc more a projectile and a Teebird for ofa glider? Can you give other example (mainly Innova, if that's fair) of glider vs projectile drivers?

Thanks,
toney
Toney
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:09 pm

correct on teebird vs. orc.

there are some tweeners such as the valkyrie and viking. they don't require near the speed of an orc and get decent penetration on a low line but require more air to get max d. a 450' valk shot = 25'+ of height. an orc can do it probably closer 15-20' if there is sufficient snap on the shot. for a gazelle to break 450', it has to be closer to 35-50' high.

projectile drivers:
beast (old mold)
orc
starfire
orion
wraith

gliders:
beast (new mold)
valkyrie
viking
teebird
eagle
gazelle
cheetah
jls
sidewinder
roadrunner
leopard
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Blake_T » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:12 pm

suppose i should add...

for slower discs, they do not penetrate as fast so they inherently need more air time to carry the same D as a faster disc.

they are also... slower... so they will continue flying stable/turned with less speed on them. an ultra fast driver will begin to flex/fade as soon as it drops below its cruise speed range.

e.g. a wraith will start to fade/flex when its speed drops below 50 mph (number made up for use as a reference) vs. a teebird will not fade/flex until its speed drops below 35mph (again, made up number).
Blake_T

Distance article

Postby Toney » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:08 pm

So it sounds like it takes more height to get maximum distance with a Teebird vs. and Orc, but an Orc can be launched on a lower trajectory for maximum d, as long as you have the arm.

Maybe this is why I've been enjoying the Teebird lately. My distances with it match my Orc distance because either i throw the T higher or (more likely) I am more inclined to take it easy with it and relax into the throw, which improves mechanics.

By the way, why is this Climo's perferred driver? Does he have so much distance that he can sacrifice some for increased accuracy with a T? I do note that a Champ Orc has been added to his bag list, which puzzles me. Why? This isn't a marketing angle, is it?
Toney
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:13 pm

Not quite, why alot of big arms use tee birds even for max d is the teebirds stability. The orc is slightly high speed understable, and the bigger the arm the more turn they will get, and the disc will be more likely to turn all the way over.

The teebird however is high speed stable. So the big arms can throw high powered throws with tee birds without as much fear of flipping it (if you flip a new dx tee bird its a problem with form not power)

Did I miss anything blake (or lead him in the wrong way)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:01 pm

Toney,

i've found that the wraith is the first disc that will get substantially more carry than the teebird when height doesn't come into play. i've seen people throw teebirds > 600', but the longest orc throw i've ever seen went like 560'.

as for climo, he still favors the teebird but throws the orc in low ceiling situations or finesse d when he wants carry without having to throw as hard as pushing a teebird out farther.

now with guys like brinster, it's because the teebird will never, ever, ever flip.
Blake_T

Re: Distance article question

Postby Beetard » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:49 pm

What kind of potential to go really far does a star TL have?

Howbout a dx beast?
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Return to Questions About Articles on Disc Golf Review