LCD TV...how to optimize it now?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: LCD TV...how to optimize it now?

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:30 pm

emiller3 wrote:Check AVS Forum and search for your model for the best calibration settings and such.

No luck there. I tried but with no luck. Here is my tv Vizio 26" Class LED-LCD 720p 60Hz HDTV, M260VA if someone can search better than me. Has anyone ever tried one of the calibration dvd's? Just wandering if they are worth it or not.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:51 pm

bcsst26 wrote:Right now I have no hd but am running most of my stuff through coaxial. Will components make that much of a difference?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD YES!

Now that that's out of the way, yeah, there's a lot to consider when buying a TV nowadays. One thing I might say, though no-one will listen to me: 720p is totally unacceptable on principle, unless it's very old or not LCD. Every damn 720p LCD screen actually has a 1366x768 panel, meaning the picture is always either scaled up, or they've covered the panel a bit to mask the extra pixels (which never happens). HD is meant to be pixel perfect, using a panel that's the wrong size is completely unforgivable.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby emiller3 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:31 pm

Calibration DVDs will calibrate your DVD player, but that may not be good enough for your cable or other input sources. It may help give you an eye for what you're looking for, but you'll most likely have to calibrate differently for your other input sources.

I don't know, I'm not too good at all this, I just used the calibration settings I found on AVS Forum for my TV and its worked out well. I wish cable/satellite providers had a calibration station. Maybe try searching for similar models.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:59 pm

calibration DVD's work pretty well but are pricey. Shockingly most any Pixar movie these days has the THX optimizer that is actually quite good, i used a copy of "the incredibles" and got mine dialed in pretty good. For the price of the DVD ($15) it was way worth it....and i got a free movie with the deal
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Dogma » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:02 pm

some call me...tim? wrote: If you have component hookups, just go with those...make sure that it's actually component (red, blue, green) and not composite (red, white, yellow) though. If you do use component, be aware that you'll need a separate cable for audio.

Yup.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby bcsst26 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:48 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:calibration DVD's work pretty well but are pricey. Shockingly most any Pixar movie these days has the THX optimizer that is actually quite good, i used a copy of "the incredibles" and got mine dialed in pretty good. For the price of the DVD ($15) it was way worth it....and i got a free movie with the deal

Thanks. This sounds like a good option. I think I probably have something at home that will work already.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby bcsst26 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:03 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:calibration DVD's work pretty well but are pricey. Shockingly most any Pixar movie these days has the THX optimizer that is actually quite good, i used a copy of "the incredibles" and got mine dialed in pretty good. For the price of the DVD ($15) it was way worth it....and i got a free movie with the deal

Well I played around with the THX optimizer last night. It was on all my Star Wars movies. Who knew? Anyways I am pretty happy with the picture. I went ahead and ordered some glasses off ebay to take it to another level. I have one question though. Does anyone know what setting the backlight should be on? Right now I have it somewhere in the middle. This sound right or should it be lower? Thanks again guys.
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.