Dying Vibram Question.

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dying Vibram Question.

Postby lefty » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:44 am

for starters, I didn't think this would work well due to the "base-line" (anywhere from KC proish to JK proish) nature of the plastic. posed a question in equip/vibram thread and was given fine examples of the results, so it is possible. so the question. how the hell would you go about dying around the VIBRAM insignia. My thoughts were, 1. stay away from it, 2.don't dip it. The examples given didn't do "1" and may or may not have done "2".
So help from you pros on suggestions would be great. also any and help on what mix might do a better job would be helpful. And any results, or past experiences never husts. thanks alot in advance..........lefty
the one thing we need is a left-hand monkey wrench
lefty
Noob

Favorite Disc: roc-a-buzz

Re: Dying Vibram Question.

Postby jubuttib » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:50 am

lefty wrote:for starters, I didn't think this would work well due to the "base-line" (anywhere from KC proish to JK proish) nature of the plastic.

Just FYI, Vibram discs aren't exactly plastic, they're pretty much just rubber.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby mobster » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:38 am

From the Vibram thread:

Shaun wrote:Vibram Ridge
Vibram Ridge
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby ChUcK » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:18 am

I'm not going to call it advice, but I'll tell you what I would do if I got my hands on a Vibram to dye. I would creatively avoid the middle with any cuts, and depending upon the chosen design enhance the logo somewhat. I might even cut an entirely separate piece of vinyl to mask that part off in addition to the stencil vinyl.

For the designs that go "behind" the logo, the two dyes posted above are examples of good/goodish images to put behind the logo. The Spidey one is symmetric and all the important business happens around the yellow. It even enhances the logo a little, like Spidey Vibram brand underwear. For George, It really just looks like there's this sticker covering part of his face, like the two parts of the disc are competing for space. A great dye no doubt, but I think that for such a permanent part of these putters, the yellow logo really needs to be incorporated into the overall design better.

Heh, you can almost imagine that someone with a Sir Mix-a-Lot size Vibram ring gave ol' George a heinous haymaker. Blamo!
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby lefty » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:39 am

jub: good point bout the rubber, but thought Dave D. said somthing about JK's always being R-Pro, and i thought that stuff didn't dye well at all. (at least when I tried it)

Mob: U da man, thanks for posting that, I was too lazy.

Chuck: also good advice, thanks. My problem is whan I look at the Vibram "stamp", its embedded in the disc with a small "valley" around it and a circle R (copyright) in the upper right (bout where george's right nostrils is) and these scream, "ITS GONNA BLEED HERE", to me. some of thoes line but right up to the "seal". Its still got me scratching my head.
the one thing we need is a left-hand monkey wrench
lefty
Noob

Favorite Disc: roc-a-buzz

Postby mobster » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:31 pm

ChUcK wrote:I'm not going to call it advice, but I'll tell you what I would do if I got my hands on a Vibram to dye.

I'll let you borrow one of mine to dye :wink:
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby noobynoober » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:36 pm

I am not an artist. With that said, how about using the symbol as the end of a long tunnel. Create a perspective disc that looks like a bright light at the end of a Vibram Tunnel. Might look cool.
noobynoober
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z-BUZZ

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:37 pm

I know what I'm going to do with mine: Dye the sole of a shoe around the logo. Something along these lines.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Return to Disc Artwork