Don't worry disc golf is not that dangerous

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Don't worry disc golf is not that dangerous

Postby JR » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:23 am

While there are too many injury reports here there would be in any other sport too. Most of us on this board are seriously hardcore about our attitude to this sport and those of us that can dedicate enough time to training do it like any other sport. Train hard sometimes at the limits of what the body can take. That's why there are so many reports of injuries. I don't think the injuries are more common than in any other sports per amount of training and playing.

What do you guys think? I know I'd be at equally much of a risk of an injury in any other sport I trained for as rigorously or with as much push through pain attitude. I could think many training methods that would injure me more often and worse than disc golf. A disc doesn't weigh as much as weights for example. Martial arts guarantees getting beat :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Don't worry disc golf is not that dangerous

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:21 am

JR wrote:Martial arts guarantees getting beat :-)

Not if you're good or into aikido. ;)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:26 am

JR wrote:While there are too many injury reports here there would be in any other sport too. Most of us on this board are seriously hardcore about our attitude to this sport and those of us that can dedicate enough time to training do it like any other sport. Train hard sometimes at the limits of what the body can take. That's why there are so many reports of injuries. I don't think the injuries are more common than in any other sports per amount of training and playing.

What do you guys think? I know I'd be at equally much of a risk of an injury in any other sport I trained for as rigorously or with as much push through pain attitude. I could think many training methods that would injure me more often and worse than disc golf. A disc doesn't weigh as much as weights for example. Martial arts guarantees getting beat :-)

Let's see: motorcycle racing or disc golf? Sounds like a toss up to me. :lol:

I like the sport where they roll a big round block of cheese down a mountain and the competitors run after it. That looks pretty safe.

By "training" I am guessing that JR is referring to practicing the shots of disc golf, not "training" as in cross training (aerobics, weight lifting, etc). Most disc golfers do little of either. They drive their car to the parking lot and walk to hole #1 where they toss their first shot. I think the injury rate for the sport would be less if there was more training done in both senses.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby biodarwin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:53 am

One thing I see is a lack of proper warm up technique. It seems like most people at my home course just grab there discs and throw.
Orc | Valkyrie | Teebird | Leopard | Buzz | Aviar
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc,Leopard,Teebird

Postby Cavere » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:19 am

As a former pole vaulter and semi-pro halfpipe/big air skier it is a fairly tame sport. That being said anytime there are quick movements, esp quick repetitive movements there are going to be strains and injuries. I think I'm kind of an anomaly when it comes to injuries, like I'm still the only person I know that has received a cracked skull while playing tennis.
katana--Boss--Surge--Orc--Monster--Roadrunner--Eagle--Buzz--FR Ion
subject to change almost each and every day!
Cavere
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby emiller3 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:24 am

For me, I have definitely been getting injuries due to experimentation with my form. Torqued knee due to some flat footedness, I've felt a pop in my shoulder a couples times, almost like it shifted around in the socket, when trying to get my weight forward, and I strained a muscle on the back of my shoulder working on late acceleration. All it takes is one wrong move and something can go very wrong. I'm feeling better, though, so I'm hopeful I don't get any long term injuries while messing around.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Cavere wrote:I think I'm kind of an anomaly when it comes to injuries, like I'm still the only person I know that has received a cracked skull while playing tennis.

Pfffft, that's nothing. I dislocated my knee while cooking noodles.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Roy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:44 pm

I have a big crack in my ass.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby seabas22 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Roy wrote:I have a big crack in my ass.

From Nasty Nate.

Sport Injuries:
DG...currently fractured tibia, and I've had fractured foot and multiple muscle strains.
Kickball...strained groin.
Swimming...tendonitis, I broke someones nose, seen people break arms.
Basketball....torn menisci, sprained ankles, strained multiple muscles.
Skiing...partial torn ACL.
Soccer...dislocated leg.
Football...fractured ribs, partial torn ACL.
Me vs door frame...dislocated shoulder.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:13 pm

seabas22 wrote:Sport Injuries:

Sounds interesting, what are the rules?
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby seabas22 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:09 pm

jubuttib wrote:
seabas22 wrote:Sport Injuries:

Sounds interesting, what are the rules?

Only 1 Rule....keep drinking until you can't dodge door frames. If you can dodge a door frame you can dodge a ball.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:15 pm

seabas22 wrote:Only 1 Rule....keep drinking until you can't dodge door frames. If you can dodge a door frame you can dodge a ball.

Yes, those door frames are sneaky little bastards. Always jumping out at you when you least expect it. Kinda like duffel bags.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby StumperTX » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:49 am

JR wrote:While there are too many injury reports here there would be in any other sport too. Most of us on this board are seriously hardcore about our attitude to this sport and those of us that can dedicate enough time to training do it like any other sport. Train hard sometimes at the limits of what the body can take. That's why there are so many reports of injuries. I don't think the injuries are more common than in any other sports per amount of training and playing.

coming from an athletic background, and having played a lot of ball golf there are fewer injuries in DG than any other sport I've played, ball golf included. there's a higher incidence of repetitive stress injuries in BG, and contact injuries are MUCH worse.
IRL, they call me Brett

Distance Drivers: Pro Destroyer, Champ&Pro Boss, FR Nuke, Champ&Star Xcal, Champ & Glo Wraith
Control Drivers: S&P-PD, Evo Spirit, Proline Rogue
Fairways: Pro Leo, DX Whippet-X, Z Xtreme
Mid: ESP&Pro D Buzz
Putters: 2xMedium Voodoo, O Wizard, Polecat
StumperTX
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Nuke/Destroyer

Postby patdabunny » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Dislocated rib and tennis elbow (from bad FH technique early in my career).

Not too exciting.
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:12 am

Had a little time off due to twisting my knee using new shoes with great grip and too much sole to ground contact while pivoting. It wasn't that bad but lifting stuff at work from a deep squat and turning before the knee was straight... I'm not well yet but at least I could do an x step. I've heard that new grippy shoes are dangerous for disc golfers. I'm a believer now. OTOH I've gotten much fewer slips throwing from fairways with these shoes. I'm gonna continue using the shoes and will need to pay more attention to minimizing sole to ground contact.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury