28th Annual Kansas City Wide Open

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

28th Annual Kansas City Wide Open

Postby Timko » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:20 am

Who's playing? I designed all the layout and OB at Swope (7300 ft, Par 60/61 depending on whom you ask). SSA will be around 55 I hope.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Re: 28th Annual Kansas City Wide Open

Postby Discwrangler » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Flier? Info?

(I'm in, just wondering why there is no info :) )
Discwrangler
Noob

Favorite Disc: Whatever I'm throwin

Postby Timko » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:11 pm

I've yet to see a .pdf of the registration form...however, here's a draft of the rules for Swope park and the distances. This may be tweaked and amended; you'll get a copy of what the final rules are in your player's pack. I highly suggest playing Swope on Friday to get an idea of where the landing spots are. I find Rosedale and Waterworks to be more straight forward.

General:
The areas defined by rocks on the south side of the
course (holes 1, 2, 14, 15, 16, 18) are not OB. The areas
defined by rocks and apoint on the north side of the
course (hole 9, 10, 11, 14) are OB. The pro shop and
patio are OB. Any water on the course is casual.

Hole #1 293’, Par 3
OBs: Rope and beyond on left. OB rope defining #3’s
fairway on right.
Mando: Must pass tree to left. If missing the mando,
play from the drop zone and add one
throw.
The area defined by the rocks is not OB, except when
you cross an OB line.

Hole #2, 339’, Par 3
OBs: Rope on left and beyond. OB rope defining #18’s
fairway on right.

Hole #3, 515’, Par 4.
OBS: Rope on right and rope on left. Park road in front
of the green. Across the rope defining the green.

Hole #4, 807’, Par 5
OBs: Rope and beyond on right. Street and beyond on
left. (Totally surrounded by concrete.)

Hole #5, 671’ Par 4
OBs: Road and beyond on the left. (Totally surrounded
by concrete.) Park road. (Except for teeing area.)

Hole #6, 269’, Par 3
OBs: Across any fences. The thick shrub on the left side
of the fairway as marked.

Hole #7, 259’, Par 3.
This is an island green surrounded by OB. If you do not
land on the island on the tee shot, take your next shot
from the drop zone and add one throw. All subsequent
throws that land on the island and land OB (off the
island) or passes over the island and lands OB, is played
from where the disc left the island.

Hole #8, 378', Par 3.
OBs: Across the fence. Across the OB rope defining #4’s
fairway.

Hole #9, 365’, Par 3.
OB: The area defined by the rocks and paint.

Hole #10, 300’, Par 3
Mando: Must pass tree to left. If missing the mando,
play from the drop zone and add one throw. The teepad
is the drop zone.

Hole #11, 345’, Par 3.

Hole #12, 340’, Par 3
OBs: Across the fence on the left. The road and beyond
on the right.

Hole #13, 725’ (long tee), 525’ (short tee-pool C only),
The long tee is the only inbounds area on that side of
the road.
OBs: Left side of road as painted and beyond to the
right. This includes being on land. Rope on the left. The
marked tree on the left side of the fairway signifies the
end of the left OB. Thus the dropoff around the green is
NOT OB.
If you go OB, you have three options: play from your
previous lie, from where your disc went OB, or from the
short tee.

Hole #14, 505’, Par 4.
OBs: The area defined by paint and rocks. The painted
OB line on the road and beyond. Exception: the penin-
sula green which is across the road is NOT OB.

Hole #15, 394’, Par 3
OBs: Rope and beyond on the right. Road on the left.
Mando: Must pass tree to left. (Note: going through the
Y of the tree is NOT making the mando. If missing the
mando, play from the drop zone and add one throw.

Hole #16, 433’, Par 3.
OB: Roads

Hole #17, 254’ Par 3.
OB: Parking lot. Across the rope behind the basket.

Hole #18, 515’ (394’ short tee - Pool C only), par 4.
OBs: Rope on left. Rope on right. The area as defined by
the rocks is NOT OB when inbounds between the OB
ropes.
Timko

Postby Discwrangler » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Is there a map of all that?
Discwrangler
Noob

Postby Timko » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:34 pm

Sorry Tanner, there isn't. The only holes that really play different are the 3 that go on the north side of the course. All 3 are shorter than they've previously been though.
Timko

Postby Timko » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:41 am

Tanner, just for you.

Red - Tees
Yellow - Pins
Gold - OB Rope

Edit: Picasa sucks. To view a blown up version of the image, go to the pic url.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cstimko/Golf#5483427541638240994
Timko

Postby Discwrangler » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Thanks Timko. Everything played really well. I had one OB all weekend, it was hole 1 at swope, last hole of the third round. I thought both long grass areas were ob and missed left instead of right. No biggie.

the only issue we ran into was on 13. George Smith didn't cross the road on his drive and we weren't clear on where his next shot was to be played from. Reading the notes on the hole, we determined the short pad was his legal option, even though he's gaining distance he didn't earn. Again, not biggie, but your intent may have been better stated in the guide.

Great job Kansas City and thanks for all the hard work. See ya next year!
Discwrangler
Noob

Postby Timko » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:57 pm

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. It looks like you played pretty solid.

While I didn't like giving people "free distance" like you spoke of in terms of the moving to the short tee, it makes lining the course a whole lot easier. The back tee of #13 is a OB nightmare in terms of marking with that drainage problem that exists on the road. Making the back tee the only thing in bounds on that side of the road seemed like the easiest to do. We thought that all divisions would be playing the long tee there (until we realized a round from the shorts is at least 3 1/2 hours), and I wanted to ensure those who can't control a forced carry of 250' would still have some way to start playing from the main part of the fairway. In the future (especially for the Open division), I would rather have the back tee the only thing in bounds on that side, and you have to re-tee until you get to the other side.

I'm curious about your feedback on some of the Swope holes. I'm getting all of the scorecards from Rick this week, but if we keep it in the WO rotation, I would like to do another roped course with some improvements to allow more scoring seperation. I know #14 won't be on the island next year; it will play 380' downhill with the pin 30'ish feet from the road. #14 didn't offer the scoring seperation I was after. I was hoping pros could drive it, but after looking at the line, the only way to get there was to throw a big hyzer over all of those trees (a 1 in 20 shot if you can throw 500' in the first place). #18 will be moved to the middle placement with a re-shaping of that green as well. #1 will be in the middle left pin with similar OB on the left. #2 will play longer. #14 will be the same; I really liked the scoring seperation between 2, 3, 4, and 5 I got on that one.

All of the temp holes will probably change. Any thoughts on those? Was the island a big enough challenge, or too easy for Open players?
Timko

Postby Discwrangler » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:21 pm

yeah, I saw the issue on 13 and thought you did a good job. Both tees are good, the short is reachable, no way it's 525'. Just state that you must make it across or re-tee until you do. OB after reaching the fairway played as it was stated. #3 needs to be shorter to get people to go for it. We could throw it over, but was not worth it since it's 1 in 50 you're going to get a putt. 4 was good. 5 was good. 16 was kind of dumb in that position.

Other than that, Rosedale #1 should have been in "D" IMO. And 4 was kind of weird, no 'obvious' route. 12 was a jacked up hole....didn't fit my eye, or anyones really.

WW in the shorts was scary being a deuce or die that I had not seen most of and didn't have a chance to practice, but I made the best of it :)

I played with Kevin Tulp and really was impressed. Good game and a calm demeanor, it was a pleasure playing 3 rounds with him. GDL!
Discwrangler
Noob

Postby Timko » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:43 pm

#3 may go in a shorter pin position next year, and I may really clamp down on the OB around the basket to make you be accurate there. Or I may just pull #16 and #17, and put in another par 5 that makes you play to #16's corner.

My favorite #16 pin is the one just to the right of the pin we played; you can throw a monster hyzer, anhyzer, or roller and still get to the pin.

I didn't have anything to do with the pins at Rosedale, but:

#1 - I agree, but most people get all worked up about that back pin.
#4 - easy 3 - hyzer out to the left of all the stuff (like way left), anhyzer around the tree, putt. You can even play it closer to the tree line and throw a spike annie, but that requires some local homie knowledge. The best pin in terms of scoring differential is the the one on the other side of the tree line, but straight.
#12 - really? I love that pin. I had 40' putts both rounds I played it. Perhaps it's just an experience thing since I live 2 miles from Rosedale. But it's a typical Rosey shot: left to right, do not miss right.

I really liked WW in that super short config. WW is one of those courses that, even tipped out, isn't ever that long. So having something with an SSA around 49 is kinda nice.
Timko

Postby Discwrangler » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Timko wrote:#3 may go in a shorter pin position next year, and I may really clamp down on the OB around the basket to make you be accurate there. Or I may just pull #16 and #17, and put in another par 5 that makes you play to #16's corner.

My favorite #16 pin is the one just to the right of the pin we played; you can throw a monster hyzer, anhyzer, or roller and still get to the pin.

I didn't have anything to do with the pins at Rosedale, but:

#1 - I agree, but most people get all worked up about that back pin.
#4 - easy 3 - hyzer out to the left of all the stuff (like way left), anhyzer around the tree, putt. You can even play it closer to the tree line and throw a spike annie, but that requires some local homie knowledge. The best pin in terms of scoring differential is the the one on the other side of the tree line, but straight.
#12 - really? I love that pin. I had 40' putts both rounds I played it. Perhaps it's just an experience thing since I live 2 miles from Rosedale. But it's a typical Rosey shot: left to right, do not miss right.

I really liked WW in that super short config. WW is one of those courses that, even tipped out, isn't ever that long. So having something with an SSA around 49 is kinda nice.

Swope #3 could be 15-20ft. inside the road, or the tee moved back. If you limped it on that shot, the slope being steep, saw alot of discs going ob left. If you can get the bottom of the hill to be the landing zone, the shot to the green is legit. The wind was pushing discs right ob too.

I hear you on 16. I love multiple options on disc golf holes. There were some where it was, but all where too tough, unless you're McCabe and can get your XL to go through trees (dude's a straight ninja), or George and can roll a disc anywhere, you're not getting it. :)

The issue on #1 (rosey) was safety. That stuff was slick everywhere. The less you have to deal with the safer it is. Dude on my card had been impaled a few Wide opens ago by a stick in his arm. Cost him $8000.

I understand #4, but it was just a weird playing it like an 'open' hole with all those trees. I was too scared to the throw the putter flop roller for the first time. Yeah, local comfortability plays a huge part at Rosedale. I'm glad I'm getting the knowledge in finally. :)

and 12 was definitely gettable, but the woods to the right looked like auto-bogey so it was nice and stafe out-of-towner golf.

Thanks for listen to me tell you about the holes I didn't birdie! Did I mention I had a blast?
Discwrangler
Noob

Return to Tournaments