Finally got some vids up (slo mo!)

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Finally got some vids up (slo mo!)

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Help me, oh knowledgeable ones!

Here's the backstory:
Been playing for about 5 years, never played in leagues or had any kind of instruction. Just go out to the practice field a night or two during the evening and hopefully play a few rounds on the weekend during the warmer months.

As of last August, I was playing the best golf of my life. My D was capped at about 350, but my accuracy was really solid. Had one run over a few weeks where I went 5-6 rounds without a bogey.

THEN I decided that I wanted to increase my D. So I borrowed my wife's digital camera and took my first ever video of myself. Wow, was it bad. I mean terrible. My form was so much worse than I ever realized. I never even bothered to post it for critique because there were glaring deficiences that even I could recognize right away. Throwing off my back foot and all kinds of other crap. It quickly became apparent to me that I was never going to be able to "tweak" my form into something decent. I was looking at a rebuild from the ground up. I began the rebuild last fall. Winter interrupted it, and I resumed the rebuild this spring. I have actually succeeded in increasing my D. My max D is now out to about 450 on a good throw, typically some kind of hyzer flip or flex shot.

Problem is, my accuracy is shot to hell. My scores have gotten worse even as my distance has increased. So, recently, I've decided to stop practicing max-D hyzers/anhyzers and just focus on throwing discs with a flat release.

This video shows three throws from today's practice. All thrown flat and low. All ended up between 375-400.

Thanks in advance for any critiques you may offer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpZksIRi3ys
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Favorite Disc: 1st run CE Valk

Re: Finally got some vids up (slo mo!)

Postby JR » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:02 am

Try a little shorter x step and the plant step. That looks unbalanced and you remain weight back. Try to avoid moving the right leg from the hip sideways and kicking the knee straight on the plant step. A lot can change from those changes so I'd like to see a new video with those modifications. Now the arm moves from back low to front moderately high. The discs will fly differently when you get weight forward. Heart as close to the target as the right knee. Keeping the left leg on the ground pushing forward helps getting the weight forward and adds power and facilitates turning explosively toward the target.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:46 am

Thanks much for the feedback, JR! The shorter steps definitely makes sense and I'll try that. However, could you clarify something for me? When you say "Try to avoid moving the right leg from the hip sideways and kicking the knee straight on the plant step", I don't know that I'm grasping what you mean. Do you mean that the right leg should be kind of stepping backward with my hips more closed when planting, rather than sideways with my hips 90 degrees from the target? And about kicking the knee straight, are you saying that my knee shouldn't ever lock straight at any point in the plant step?
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Favorite Disc: 1st run CE Valk

Postby Aaron_D » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:48 am

Your weight is too far back. Try and get over your plant foot more. The weight shift from back to front is important in getting extra D.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby JR » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:10 pm

The right knee should definitely be bent as you plant the final step. That helps with getting weight forward and keeping the plant step short enough. The right leg should stay roughly at the same angle relative to the hip. That limits the plant step length. You aren't doing it terribly bad but if you were standing still and raised the right leg 90 degrees right you'd raise the leg from the hip. You do it a little on the plant step prior to planting.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique