Push Putt Issues

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Push Putt Issues

Postby thuracine187 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:25 pm

One thing that helped me is to keep my chin up. My putts would come up short a lot of the times if I didn't remember this little tip.
thuracine187
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Orc

Postby JR » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:41 am

Even push putters benefit from short arming. And it shares the need for the disc to leave prior to the elbow becoming straight and a fast acceleration. The looser the arm muscles are the longer the throw will be due to added acceleration.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cornelius » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:46 pm

i have been push putting for about 6 months and also had the lack of power problem initially. eventually i went to a dave feldberg clinic and he said that all of his power is from his legs so what he does is push off from his legs which brings the disc forward very quickly. I tried this and immediately noticed more power and distance when i push-putted.
cornelius
Noob

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:44 pm

I too went to Feldberg's clinic and it did wonders for my putt. I agree with cornelius about the legs, if I forget to use my legs, I don't get any weight shift nor do I get any power. I'm still a bit wonky (I tend to not go forward enough sometimes, just upwards which leads to me throwing over the basket by a meter or so) but I'm sinking shots from 8 meters like never before, and I always miss either high or low, never left or right. I'm still not comfortable enough with the motion so I try too much on longer shots and mess everything up, but I'm getting there. It's a process.

Incidentally and off-topic, the driving portion of the clinic was a bit of a let down, kinda, Dave said he's been "plugged into a machine" and claims that they now know the biomechanical truth about how to best use your muscles when driving. No guessing or opinions any more, "just facts" as he put it. Turns out it's pretty much the exact same thing that's taught over here. That's the "kinda", didn't really learn anything new there. I did walk away with a new look at the run up and that did amazing things to my accuracy though.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby cornelius » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:25 pm

yeah at the clinic I went to he spent about 10 mins on driving and the rest about the push putt. which was a slight letdown to me considering that is the main reason i went. Jubuttib, what did he teach you guys at the clinic about driving?
cornelius
Noob

Postby turso » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:44 pm

cornelius wrote:yeah at the clinic I went to he spent about 10 mins on driving and the rest about the push putt. which was a slight letdown to me considering that is the main reason i went. Jubuttib, what did he teach you guys at the clinic about driving?

The grip, of which the new part to me was that pinky to middle finger should have 70% of gripping power and 30% on index and thumb. He taught a run up which is better what I used to have. He mentioned wrist extension and such. Pretty much the same stuff people teach you here, reach back, pull tight and such.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby cornelius » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:48 pm

yeah, i thought it would really help to have someone right there giving hands-on advice but i thought we didnt spend enough tiome on the driving section
cornelius
Noob

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:13 pm

turso wrote:
cornelius wrote:yeah at the clinic I went to he spent about 10 mins on driving and the rest about the push putt. which was a slight letdown to me considering that is the main reason i went. Jubuttib, what did he teach you guys at the clinic about driving?

The grip, of which the new part to me was that pinky to middle finger should have 70% of gripping power and 30% on index and thumb. He taught a run up which is better what I used to have. He mentioned wrist extension and such. Pretty much the same stuff people teach you here, reach back, pull tight and such.

I KNEW IT. All this time I've been trying to do like a 60/40 index&thumb to Pinky&Middle thinking I was ripping off the wrong fingers. I should have known better. Feldberg's breakdown of power % is just about exactly the grip weighting I've used since I learned about different grips. I think it was a big part of why I was able to learn to throw 400' much faster than the guys who introduced me to the sport.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:20 pm

We did spend plenty of time on driving (maybe 5-8 minutes on approaching) and apart from grip and run up everything was the same stuff Blake and others advocate over here. Like turso said, "He mentioned wrist extension and such. Pretty much the same stuff people teach you here, reach back, pull tight and such.", elbow forward, right pec etc. He didn't really talk about the importance of timing yet, but he said he's coming back next year and doing the same clinic over again and an advanced clinic for those who participated this year, I believe he'll go more into specifics then. Come hell or high water, I'm going.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby josser » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:44 pm

I have found that after quite a few hours trying to work on it, I still wasn't very consistent with Feldberg's push putt so I tried doing the exact same thing he teaches at his clinics but keeping a bent elbow the entire time instead of a straight-arm the entire time. I still sing my arm like a pendulum from the shoulder, it is just a shorter lever arm. I found that the left-right accuracy was much better than my usual putting style (don't even ask) and that I obviously couldn't keep my bent elbow completely locked, but that the combination of a shorter lever arm and a little spring from the elbow made it quite a bit easier to have a nice quick motion at the point of release.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:44 am

JR wrote:Even push putters benefit from short arming. And it shares the need for the disc to leave prior to the elbow becoming straight and a fast acceleration. The looser the arm muscles are the longer the throw will be due to added acceleration.

Talking of Feldy clinic he has a different definition of push putting I had when I wrote the above piece. According to Dave push putts have the elbow straight from start to finish. My definition when I posted the above was a very slight bend at the elbow.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:05 am

JR wrote:Talking of Feldy clinic he has a different definition of push putting I had when I wrote the above piece. According to Dave push putts have the elbow straight from start to finish. My definition when I posted the above was a very slight bend at the elbow.

That's what the says, not necessarily what he does, judging by some footage.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby turso » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:59 am

Jeronimo wrote:
turso wrote:

I KNEW IT. All this time I've been trying to do like a 60/40 index&thumb to Pinky&Middle thinking I was ripping off the wrong fingers. I should have known better. Feldberg's breakdown of power % is just about exactly the grip weighting I've used since I learned about different grips. I think it was a big part of why I was able to learn to throw 400' much faster than the guys who introduced me to the sport.

Jesus christ how wrong you were! You better get on shifting that strenght to 70/30 so you can get over 350' at some point of your life!

/edit

on other note, the clinic's push putt instructions are gold. Sunk few really long ones today and anything under 10m is much easier than it used to be, sinking em a lot more than before. Just have to practice practice practice for few months to get the REAL confidence and repeatability into it.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:03 am

turso wrote:Jesus christ how wrong you were! You better get on shifting that strenght to 70/30 so you can get over 350' at some point of your life!

/edit

on other note, the clinic's push putt instructions are gold. Sunk few really long ones today and anything under 10m is much easier than it used to be, sinking em a lot more than before. Just have to practice practice practice for few months to get the REAL confidence and repeatability into it.

Iknorite?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby cornelius » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:49 pm

call me ignorant but I did a general search and couldn't find anything specific explaining wrist extension. what is it?
cornelius
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Technique