The River

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The River

Postby MrScoopa » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:20 pm

169 Opto River:

I really like this disc. It powers down well. Thrown to about 200' it is very straight and fades for the last 20%. Thrown with more power on a flat shot it S's. Thrown from hyzer it flips flat nicely, about like a beat Star TL of the same weight. Typical under stable disc... but

The crazy cool thing about this disc is the glide(really? you don't say!).I've never seen a driver "hover" like this disc does. Thrown with the same power it went the same D my Beast did - 350'. But, it took 5 or so more seconds to get there. With a good tail wind this disc could go a mile. I haven't thrown it hard yet. I've been admiring the glide. 375' should be attainable without a lot of fuss.

The plastic is MONEY. In 90 degree weather it is GUMMY and sticky. I LOVE the feel. In flight it throws off flashes of light like a prism. I have a blueish clear opto.

The Flight In a Nutshell.

Decent speed(equal to a TL). As it slows it cruises like a kite.

Yea, I've got puppy love for this thing, but my PD still crushes it. :lol:
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby JimW » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:21 pm

It sounds great and I look forward to trying it but to me "redonkulous glide" sounds a lot like "overlaps with PD distance". There's a distinct distance range where I throw a Gazelle between the Buzzz/Fuse and PD and the River sounds like it might not really fit there naturally. Hard to imagine it knocking out my PD armada.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Booter » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:44 pm

jim I doubt it will knock out ur pds. It sounds nice though,more like a glidey stalker. .i wanna try it because I love the fuse and I'm always up for trying new shit but I like my stalker too much :| . We'll see. I might break down n try one.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby money 21 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:11 pm

got my river today. great glide, flies like a jls + 20' will replace the jls I tacoed the other day.

A friend got one for his girlfriend it is the best womens starter driver i have seen.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:15 pm

money 21 wrote:got my river today. great glide, flies like a jls + 20' will replace the jls I tacoed the other day.

A friend got one for his girlfriend it is the best womens starter driver i have seen.

I'd say its almost a little too stable for that, I usually start the ladies on a Vision. The glide is obscene though, just truly amazing.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby money 21 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:52 pm

don't know much about the vision you have to order all your lat disc around here. my friends girl was using a river a glide and a birdie and was doing well and got some parrs tonight.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby DPJ88 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:34 pm

I gotta say. I love the river. It is amazing for those long, gradual anhyzers. It doesn't turn and burn unless you really want it to. Very controllable. It knocked out my Z Xpresses that I had in my bag for 4 years. It is so much less finicky on the long gradual turnover lines. The Xpress had to be hyzer flipped with considerable power and sometimes it wouldn't turn at all and sometimes it would flip and burn.

That said it flies just as controllably on intended hyzer or flat lines. which is one thing I loved about the Z Xpress.
Pred - Orc - EagleX - River - Wasp - Buzzz - Fuse - Challenger
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:06 pm

I was in AZ for vacation two weeks ago and was hanging out at spinners (great shop) when their shipment of rivers came in. Great looking and feeling discs. My wife wanted one, but some reason I convinced her that she should stick with her JLS's for now. It was probably better for her game (as she really gets down about losing a 10$ jls much less a 17$ disc) but it was really hard to not say yes just so I could throw it a few times as well...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby RS39 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:14 am

I am impressed at how well this flies, and can be snapped out close to 350. Less flex than a semi-stable run Vision, more fade left than a 275 Fuse huk.

For the calmer air of the Massillon course, tight woods/hills, it's a good P PD replacement since it's the same disc after every inevitable tree bounce. And the glide climbs hills so very well..........
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:35 am

The River is a great disc! I'm not a power thrower at all. But the River has amazing glide that can make it go as far as much faster discs for me. My longest unofficially measured throw was 350 with a Nuke (Measured with a crappy cell phone gps program that wasnt too reliable). My longest shot measured with a measuring wheel was about 335 a couple times, again with a Nuke and with my P-PD. My first River (171 Opto) throw measured around 300, thrown on a hyzer flip. My third throw got out to 343. Since the first day with the River on the local course, I've had a little more inconsistency with it, but even bad throws with it still go a ways, because of the glide. I just need to work on getting a more consistent throw with it. But the disc is awesome. And Jim, to a certain extent I think there is a slight overlap with the P-PD. Actually I think the River overlaps more with the TD though, except the TD seems to have a little more fade on throws that come back from the turn. But I think in time, I will settle in enough with each disc to know when to throw which one. My P-PD throws are still more consistent right now. My 162 GL River flies pretty much like the Opto, but I haven't gotten in as many throws with that one yet. But I like the River enough that I think I want to get some back ups in case I lose one.
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Ryan C » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:31 pm

I threw the River a lot this weekend in a tourney, and I got a lot of surprised comments because of the glide. One particular throw surprised even me. The only real issue I have with it is getting the right range. If thrown too hard, it will track right for a while, but if thrown soft, it doesn't really turn, just has a soft fade.

Because of this, you need to adjust the direction you throw based on the range. It finishes straight to right on longer shots, and slightly left on shorter ones. And just when you consider the glide, it makes finding the right touch a little tricky when you're trying to land 10 feet or less from the pin.

But now that I have thrown it at least a hundred times, I do really think it has a spot in my bag. A PD is really a perfect compliment. I definitely recommend everyone give them a try.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:16 pm

Ryan C wrote:I threw the River a lot this weekend in a tourney, and I got a lot of surprised comments because of the glide. One particular throw surprised even me. The only real issue I have with it is getting the right range. If thrown too hard, it will track right for a while, but if thrown soft, it doesn't really turn, just has a soft fade.

Because of this, you need to adjust the direction you throw based on the range. It finishes straight to right on longer shots, and slightly left on shorter ones. And just when you consider the glide, it makes finding the right touch a little tricky when you're trying to land 10 feet or less from the pin.

But now that I have thrown it at least a hundred times, I do really think it has a spot in my bag. A PD is really a perfect compliment. I definitely recommend everyone give them a try.

That's a really good review of the disc, I couldn't have said it better myself.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby bill » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:38 am

are the gold lines and opto's comparable? is one more stable than the other?

i really love the gl plastic. much easier to find and almost bulletproof.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Booter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:44 am

in my experience with my 172 opto and 172 GL the opto had a little more turn. In the open they flew the same sorta. In a tight wooded area,the turn wasn't what I wanted.the PLH was different on both as well. Also,even though the opto had more turn it wasn't bad to where it was just turning and burning. It was actually a nice compliment to the GL
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby emiller3 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:47 am

What's a GL River like compared to a (state your plastic) Eagle-X?
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment