PS3 RPG's

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

PS3 RPG's

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:24 pm

gamestop has a buy 2 get 1 free sale goin on for the next two days and i'm on a tight budget but figure i should probably try to take advantage of this at least a little bit.

wondering if anyone has any feedback on the following:
resonance of fate
trinity universe
last rebellion
white knight chronicles
demon's souls
dragon age origins
alpha protocol

any thoughts on which ones are worth buying or which ones definitely suck?
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Re: PS3 RPG's

Postby Yehosha » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:42 pm

Blake_T wrote:gamestop has a buy 2 get 1 free sale goin on for the next two days and i'm on a tight budget but figure i should probably try to take advantage of this at least a little bit.

resonance of fate
trinity universe
last rebellion
white knight chronicles
demon's souls
dragon age origins
alpha protocol

For sure get these two, both amazing games.
Demon's Souls
Dragon Age Origins

Trinity Universe - Only get if your super into anime, otherwise you can find better.
Last Rebellion - Sucks. Avoid it at all costs.
White Knight Chronicles - Meh. Not horrible, but there are much better games out there.
Alpha protocol - 3rd on your list behind dragon age & demon's souls. A more modern setting shooter-rpg.

Not on you list is The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. If you haven't played it yet then get it, it's one of the best RPGs to come out in awhile, and can be bought for under $20.
Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:52 am

haha. that's the kind of feedback i wanted on last rebellion. i would have had to drive the farthest to get it. i usually pick up atlus/nis games simply because they hold collectible value but i'm trying to only get stuff i'll want to play.

i have oblivion already. i had demon's souls deluxe edition but sold it when someone made me a good cash offer on it and i had never gotten around to actually playing it. white knight and resonance of fate had been high on my wish list but i expect both of them to get much cheaper in the next few months.

i am into anime but i'll skip on trinity universe for now as well. keep in mind i'm way bigger on JRPG's than american ones.
Blake_T

Postby bill » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:54 am

Yehosha wrote:Not on you list is The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. If you haven't played it yet then get it, it's one of the best RPGs to come out in awhile, and can be bought for under $20.

and you'll get roughly onegazillion hours of play with oblivion. it's a massive game and very pretty.

i also like dragon age origins and had a lot of fun with it.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Flipflat » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:20 pm

This isn't on the list, but 3D Dot Heros is pretty hilarious, nice graphics too.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:34 pm

thanks for the input.

i ended up passing and not buying any of em because gamestop has them all overpriced right now. their "in store" price and "online price" are way different.
Blake_T

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Blake_T wrote:gamestop has a buy 2 get 1 free sale goin on for the next two days and i'm on a tight budget but figure i should probably try to take advantage of this at least a little bit.

resonance of fate good game, trippy battle system, meh story and graphics though
trinity universe
last rebellion
white knight chronicles
demon's souls GREAT game, played through it 3 times already.....not in any sense a traditional RPG though, really in a class of its own
dragon age origins In my top 3 of '09 list for sure, this game sucked me in and held me there until it was done (way better than any JRPG.....ever :P )
alpha protocol Good concept, shitty game

if i didn't comment on it i haven't played it
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby sunspot » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Blake_T wrote:i ended up passing and not buying any of em because gamestop has them all overpriced right now. their "in store" price and "online price" are way different.

I think they matched the in store price with the online price one time when I bought a game. Most of the time they won't do it. I don't know if it's to encourage people to buy online or what. Regardless, I think it's retarded.

I haven't "evolved" to the next generation of consoles. I can't comment on PS3 RPGs. However, I can comment more on PS2 RPGs and older RPGs.

You may be already familiar with www.gamerankings.com. If you you're not then that would be a good place to start in getting an idea of what certain games are like.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:47 am

Meh, I personally think Oblivion is only worth it if you get the PC version. It pretty much sucks without any mods. Remove the auto-levelling enemies, balance the weapons, etc. and it's one of the all time best RPGs. And if you feel like it, you can also add stuff like hunger, thirst and sleep, which make the game that much more difficult and immersive. By changing the mods around you basically have half a dozen different games, albeit with the same story line. But you don't have to follow that story anyways. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:27 am

thanks for the link, i'll check it out. i'm not always a fan of how games get rated, especially rpg's.

story is my #1 concern. #2 is that the battle system doesn't suck. it doesn't have to be innovative, but it shouldn't be lame or tedious. it can ruin a game but never make a game.

e.g. grandia ii's battle system was sweet but the story that dragged out for 60 hours on 30 hours of story was lame. dot.hack's battle system was lame but the story got me to actually finish a game i didn't think was fun to play. final fantasy 8's spell system and enemy leveling was so bad i still have a save point sitting outside the final dungeon with 1 char at level 80 and every other character at lvl 45 or lower that get bizzowned in 1 hit. persona 3 was fun for the first 30 hours or so but then it started feeling more like the sims and very little plot progression.

FF10, Xenosaga, and Rogue Galaxy were probably my favs from the PS2 era.
Blake_T

Postby holyschemp » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:52 am

Guys. Starcraft 2 comes out in a week...put the RPG's on a back burner!
holyschemp
Tree Magnet

Postby sunspot » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Blake_T wrote:thanks for the link, i'll check it out. i'm not always a fan of how games get rated, especially rpg's.

There are some games that I really enjoyed that were ranked lower than some of the ratings i.e., Suikoden V. Some of the reviewers gave Suikoden V a good rating while others gave it a mediocre rating. In staying with the theme of the Suikoden series, I think Suikoden V did a great job on the story and gameplay. Granted, the pacing was slow to start with, but it did pick up after the first few hours. Overall, I give a higher rating that some of the ratings that I read.

One recommendation in searching reviews is find a game that you have played and liked and read the reviews for it. Find someone that you think represents your opinion the most and look for other potential games that you might by and go by their recommendations.

Another thing you can do is go to Youtube and check out the gameplay of a game that you are interested in. See if it lives up to your expectations.

story is my #1 concern. #2 is that the battle system doesn't suck. it doesn't have to be innovative, but it shouldn't be lame or tedious. it can ruin a game but never make a game.

As far as priorities in RPGs, I agree. I more forgiving in the gameplay department than the story. I can live with some flaws. However, I don't want the gameplay to be endless grinding from point A to point B and it shouldn't be boring and too cumbersome.

Speaking of Suikoden, I thought the story in 3 was good but the gameplay was a little slow. I figure that one small problem didn't ruin the game. It was different than the previous installments, but it wasn't (imo) something that made the game a lackluster. Overall, I look at it as a great game with interesting additions like the different viewpoints that you can take through different stages of the game.

e.g. grandia ii's battle system was sweet but the story that dragged out for 60 hours on 30 hours of story was lame. dot.hack's battle system was lame but the story got me to actually finish a game i didn't think was fun to play. final fantasy 8's spell system and enemy leveling was so bad i still have a save point sitting outside the final dungeon with 1 char at level 80 and every other character at lvl 45 or lower that get bizzowned in 1 hit. persona 3 was fun for the first 30 hours or so but then it started feeling more like the sims and very little plot progression.

I never got around to playing the dot.hack series. I couldn't get past paying the idea of having to shell out money for each installment, which appeared to be mediocre at best. If there were two installments instead of four then I would probably have purchased it. The story seemed interesting but the execution to tell the story over a period of four installments turned me off.

I thought Final Fantasy 8 was boring. I gameplay would have been cool if it were left to one or two people "drawing" from enemies, and everyone else having a traditional role and/or some sort of job class. It was a good try an being innovative but it's a good example of innovation with bad consequences. I liked the rivalry that Seifer and Squall had, but the overall story was just "meh."

You might want to try Persona 4. I never did play 3, but most people have said that 4 is more refined with better characters, a better story, and gameplay. You can control all your characters in Persona 4 instead of having to rely on the computer to control your characters. They still give you the option for the computer to control your characters if you want. Personally, If I need someone healed I want my character to be healed and not cast fire.

The story in Persona 4 is a murder mystery. You are trying to find out who the killer is. I'm enjoying it so far.

FF10, Xenosaga, and Rogue Galaxy were probably my favs from the PS2 era.

You should try also try Tales of Abyss. The story is somewhat cliche and the main character can get annoying but I think it's still worth a play. As I mentioned earlier, you should try Persona 4.

My favs from the PS2 era are Persona 4, Suikoden V, FF 10, Tales of the Abyss, and Suikoden 3.

Back to the PS3 RPGs, have you considered getting Valkyria Chronicles? I think it's more of a hybird strategy with rpg elements.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:23 pm

i haven't gotten to the suikoden games yet. i played the first few hours of 3 and 4 but that's it.

my tastes seem to never quite coincide with other reviewers... i guess what i key on tends to be different than most.

i have persona 4 and tales of the abyss, just haven't gotten around to playing em, although my gf did play persona 4 for a while.

i have valkyria chronicles but haven't beaten it yet. i'm about 60 hours into ff 12 but haven't touched it in like a month.
Blake_T

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.