The River

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The River

Postby Booter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:53 am

I wouldn't compare it to an eagle x at all. I'd say the closest comparison is a stalker. Or maybe even a champ td. I'd say a leo as well but it's been forever since I've thrown a leo
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Pat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:21 am

booter wrote:I wouldn't compare it to an eagle x at all. I'd say the closest comparison is a stalker. Or maybe even a champ td. I'd say a leo as well but it's been forever since I've thrown a leo

yea, definetly not comparable to an eagle X.

I would say that its got less HSS and more glide than a stalker.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby emiller3 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:28 am

Sorry, I meant contrast them. I know they aren't similar, more like, how different are they?

I haven't thrown a Stalker, or a TD, or anything other fairway driver but a Teebird and a Leopard. The Leopard comparison makes sense to me.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Shank » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm throwing TBs out to 350+ now and have been finding myself pulling out my star and proline leopards a lot for line working that my TB cant handle. I've been eyeballing to River, waiting to see what the consensus is on them. I have leopards, but am not 100% on them, they are kind of just filling a spot in the bag right now until I decide what I want there. Would the River be a comparable replacement? Do they break in like Leos and become even more workable over time? How far are higher power throwers getting them out to? On similar power throws, but different lines, I can usually get me Leos as far if not farther than my TBs. Would you say the same of the River?
Magic + Wizard + Fuse + Roc + River + Teebird + ????????
Shank
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The lake ate it

Postby Ryan C » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Rivers are definitely longer than TBs. I throw a TB about 340, and a River 375 easy. I would not mind calling them a slightly longer, slightly more stable leopard. Mine are not really what you would call seasoned, but they are definitely a hair more stable than any leopard I have thrown before.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby RS39 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:06 pm

emiller3 wrote:Sorry, I meant contrast them. I know they aren't similar, more like, how different are they?

I haven't thrown a Stalker, or a TD, or anything other fairway driver but a Teebird and a Leopard. The Leopard comparison makes sense to me.

VS the Fuse in your sig line...

Same huk gets 280 Fuse, 330 River. River has more climb and a bit more turn in the fast phase, settles into similar long glide with more wind push in gusts, finishes a bit more left compared to the elevator drops of the Fuse.
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby elnino » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:23 pm

threw two rivers 172. one opto and one GL. They do glide...I think of them as longer beat rocs. great for huge anny's(up up and away the things just love those shots. thrown on a rope flat they will turn and burn. with hyzer on a rope they just go straight and far....I think they will probably hold almost any line you throw them on. u can throw them soft too so you can really work lines...I'll have to do some field testing but i'll keep you updated.
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Postby Monocacy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:45 pm

The Big Brown Truck of Joy arrived this afternoon, delivering (among other delights) a 162 and 164 GL River. I tossed the River a few times before triples, and liked it so much that I threw the 162 River on most tee shots. Unfortunately, the 164 River (dark blue) disappeared into the rough on its first test flight.

At my distance (starting to break 300’ fairly regularly), the River is a more controllable, easier to throw Valkyrie or a longer, much less touchy Leopard. In calm, humid air, the River easily held hyzer, S-curve, and anhyzer lines. I found the disc to be quite versatile and highly controllable, with only a couple of miscues hitting anyhzer lines. Pretty amazing for the first day with a new disc.

I am tempted to use the River in my distance driver and understable driver slots.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:50 pm

Are people really comparing the river to a stalker? The two stalkers I have thrown (mine and then a friends to see if mine is an anomaly) were piggishly stable.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby josser » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Ryan C wrote:Rivers are definitely longer than TBs. I throw a TB about 340, and a River 375 easy. I would not mind calling them a slightly longer, slightly more stable leopard. Mine are not really what you would call seasoned, but they are definitely a hair more stable than any leopard I have thrown before.

Curse you and your ways. I picked up 3 Leos in the past month or so and now I want something else. Stupid greener grass.

I had a crap throw with one Ryan's Rivers yesterday, but I would say that it was a lot like my newish Star-Leo with a bunch more glide
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Airwide » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:21 am

TDK: I have 3 stalkers:

1 Orange Z stalker - Overstable (at least for my 90-95m distance)
1 Yellow Z Stalker - Straight ( more flat and a bit lower parting line compared to the orange stalker)
1 ESP Stalker (PDGA disc) - a bit understable compared to the yellow one.

Sounds like you've got a Stalker similar to my orange one.
Airwide
Noob

Postby discspeed » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:51 am

Airwide wrote:TDK: I have 3 stalkers:

1 Orange Z stalker - Overstable (at least for my 90-95m distance)
1 Yellow Z Stalker - Straight ( more flat and a bit lower parting line compared to the orange stalker)
1 ESP Stalker (PDGA disc) - a bit understable compared to the yellow one.

Sounds like you've got a Stalker similar to my orange one.

He's also at altitude, which I imagine would make a disc like the Stalker quite a bit more stable.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:10 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:Are people really comparing the river to a stalker? The two stalkers I have thrown (mine and then a friends to see if mine is an anomaly) were piggishly stable.

elevation problem id guess, ive thrown alot of Stalkers and none were what id call piggy
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby turso » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:33 am

as a owner of 2 z-stalkers and 1 GL river I can say they're nothing alike(except both are discs).

The river is way more stable, having real trouble turning it even with 400' power, as where the stalkers turn over a bit at that strength, make a nice straight'ish flight even with the turn and fade slightly as they drop to the ground.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby Booter » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:24 am

yea I dunno,my stalkers turn easy,especially my glo's. I have 2 that are pigs so I know some are overstable but most are easy to flip. My rivers and stalkers were too much alike,which is why I got rid of them to elnino. I have about 400' of power and I had no problem getting my rivers to turn on a small hyzerflip. When thrown flat my opto that I had,would turn alot more than my GL.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment