What ever happened to Scott Stokely?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What ever happened to Scott Stokely?

Postby ziggy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Fritz wrote:
Jerry R wrote:
Parks wrote:That's not a 400-500 foot elevation change.

message board elevation!?

I'm fairly confident, I know how to judge elevation change, as I grew up in the mountains, and hiked all my life.
That hill you walk down to get to the basket is about a 60degree angle. It's pretty damn close to 400' of elevation. It was very tiring walking up and down that hill.
It was quite the site to see your disc flying through the air, thinking it was a good shot, to watch it fall 200' short of the basket lol.

Midrange or Driver?
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:54 pm

ziggy wrote:
Fritz wrote:
Jerry R wrote:
Parks wrote:That's not a 400-500 foot elevation change.

message board elevation!?

I'm fairly confident, I know how to judge elevation change, as I grew up in the mountains, and hiked all my life.
That hill you walk down to get to the basket is about a 60degree angle. It's pretty damn close to 400' of elevation. It was very tiring walking up and down that hill.
It was quite the site to see your disc flying through the air, thinking it was a good shot, to watch it fall 200' short of the basket lol.

Midrange or Driver?

I was throwing a QOLF. Stokely was throwing I think an XL or Cyclone.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby jubuttib » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:23 pm

So it's a 700 foot hole, with 400' elevation, a 450' walk down a 60 degree slope and then there's the 470' walk to the basket from the bottom of the hill? That's a mighty fine hole you've got there.

www.julkaisut.fi/arjapaakkanen/media/Vu ... /Himos.JPG

You see that? That's a 500' hill, with 2000' ski slopes.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Fritz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:16 pm

jubuttib wrote:So it's a 700 foot hole, with 400' elevation, a 450' walk down a 60 degree slope and then there's the 470' walk to the basket from the bottom of the hill? That's a mighty fine hole you've got there.

http://www.julkaisut.fi/arjapaakkanen/m ... /Himos.JPG

You see that? That's a 500' hill, with 2000' ski slopes.

Do you get to play disc on that hill?
You should see the Kiss the Sky hole at Aspen Mountain here in Colorado.
I will post pictures later.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:55 am

Fritz wrote:Do you get to play disc on that hill?

No idea, don't live in that area. Kinda beside the point anyway. =)

There are some ski resorts that put up dg courses in the summer, especially temporary ones for competitions, it's possible that Himos does this also.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Fritz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:32 am

jubuttib wrote:
Fritz wrote:Do you get to play disc on that hill?

No idea, don't live in that area. Kinda beside the point anyway. =)

There are some ski resorts that put up dg courses in the summer, especially temporary ones for competitions, it's possible that Himos does this also.

I wasn't trying to be an ass, it was a serious question, my bad lol. I thought you were showing a hole on a course in your area.

Here are some pictures of an amazing mountain course; http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottshots ... 421599339/
I believe the course is around 11,200 ft in elevation. Talk about overstable plastic lol.

I can't find the stats, but some of the holes are ridiculous in length and elevation. I think one of them has a record score of 23 strokes to get to it. lol
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:03 am

Fritz wrote:I wasn't trying to be an ass, it was a serious question, my bad lol. I thought you were showing a hole on a course in your area.

Never thought you were. =)

I mainly included the link because I have some doubts about that hole being about as high as that ski resort (it's 500', and the elevation stated was "400-500'"), but in the space of 230 feet. =)
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:23 am

Yeah, I'm dubious about the height too. We have a top of the world hole at our course that's sorta kinda similar. Here's a crappy pic, you can't see the basket but you get the idea (it's around where the dude's head is): http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_imag ... 83b689.jpg It's about a 500' hole and feels like you're WAY up there. In actuality though, it's "only" about a 70' rise.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:52 am

Kewl deal, I understand your doubts. I'll see if I can get you a better photo from the bottom, up to the teepad.
The official distance on the score card was 700' from pad to pin. Shrug. Walking up that hill was tiring. edit: As the crow flies of course.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Fritz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:19 pm

Wish I would have taken more pictures. If the course is made permanent, I will definitely get more photos of the insane holes.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Fritz wrote:Kewl deal, I understand your doubts. I'll see if I can get you a better photo from the bottom, up to the teepad.
The official distance on the score card was 700' from pad to pin. Shrug. Walking up that hill was tiring. edit: As the crow flies of course.

No disrespect, it certainly is a grand hole. But if the specs were right it'd be a 450' climb up and down the hill, and it would be far more than just tiring. =)

Please provide pics, the hole does look very interesting and would be fun to play. I'd probably use a putter though, seems like the way to go when throwing downhill.

I need to get me a decent job and some money for a trip, you've got such nice courses over there, I'm jealous.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Check out the top of the world holes at Whistler's Bend (hole 14, 600' long, 100' high), and Diamond X (Hole 18, 726' long, 186' high).

Not tryin' to jump on your shit, Fritz, just saying that heights can be deceiving. And yeah, regardless, it does look like a fun hole.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:59 pm

this is 6 long at Staffod Lake, the red dots are the 3 most common basket positions (i believe it's in the trees in this pic) IIRC it is just under or just over 100' of elevation
......i dunno Fritzy ;)
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Parks » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:01 am

A 700' hole with a 400' elevation is going to be a shot where you're throwing Whippets on 80 degree hyzer lines or just fluffing your putter out there.

I don't think that hole exists in the whole disc golf world.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:31 am

I was wrong on my assessment of elevation change. I spoke with the course designer, it's ~190' in elevation, and 700' from Teepad to Pin measured with ones of those lazer site things.
My apologies. It felt a lot higher than that but oh well, it was a long ass hole.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion