Help With Selling My Whip

General, Non-Disc Related Goods for trade/sale.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help With Selling My Whip

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:02 pm

Story:
Had a 1995 Jeep Cherokee passed down to me in highschool, drove the shit out of it (250,000+ miles), loved it, got rear-ended, car got totaled. Insurance company gave me ~2,800 or so for it which I used as a down payment on a used 2003 Honda Accord ~$12,000. I had my first big boy job and paycheck and thought the car was cool. Fast forward to now: I setup low payments (~$300 a month) and currently owe ~$7,500, I live in the city and park on the street which lends to chips, scratches, broken windows, keying, etc..., I do not want this vehicle anymore.

Solution:
Sell the car for around the amount that I owe and purchase another Cherokee for cash. I've learned in this time that I could care less about the style/speed/whatever of a car and only value it as a means of transportation, nothing more. I hate the stress that comes with owning a "nice" car and want to rid myself of it. I have ~$5,000 bucks or so that I am willing to shell out for another Jeep.

Problem(s):
Car has some scratches / dents / body damage. The biggest issues are a recent keying mark, a dent from a frisbee and the passenger side body kit has broken off after running over a curb and bending my fender. This is where I need advice:

Should I:
Pay to have the body work fixed, get the car detailed (or detail it myself) and try to sell it myself?
I realize this will net me the most money for my car but I fear that I will not be able to sell it.

Try to trade my car with a dealer that has a Jeep like the one I want?
Not sure exactly how this goes down. If my car is worth 7 or so and the car I want is worth 4-5 or so, how does a trade-in work? If I went this route should I fix the car up first?

Get raped by selling it to Carmax?
I realize this is probably a bad idea but I'm throwing it out there.

Thanks dudes. I'm also really trying to eliminate car payments as I may be changing my life in a way that I have less income to work with.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Re: Help With Selling My Whip

Postby kevind » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:22 pm

Clean it up and sell it yourself. I found myself in a similar situation with the wifes ride. We talked to a few dealers about trading and they wanted to give me about 2k less than what I felt it was worth. I put an ad in the paper and craiglist and sold it in about three weeks. I showed it to about four people before I got a guy to buy it but it still saved me 2k in the long run. A honda accord shouldnt be too hard to dump as long as its bluebook value is still there. Car dealers especially the used market is a racket so watch out for those too good to be true deals.
wizard, qms, roc, eagle-x ,valk, OLF
kevind
Tree Magnet

Postby Dogma » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:32 pm

It comes down to how much you value your time. Some people don't want the hassle of selling a car, and prefer to trade in or Carmax it and be done. You'll get more selling it privately but it can take a while. Sometimes a long while depending on your price. Try listing it for a week or two and see how it goes.

Professional detailing is usually worth it when selling a car. They generally do a better job than you will.

Body repairs depend on cost. Will it need paint? Is that something you can do your self?

What is the mileage and color? Where are you? Maybe we can send someone your way. Personally, I like cars with body damage as long as they run well. A tree fell on mine six years ago and State Farm totaled it. I bought it back for almost nothing, pushed the roof back up by lying inside it and pushing with with my feet, got a new windshield, and have been driving it ever since. It has... personality.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Solty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Dogma wrote:.....I like cars with body damage as long as they run well. A tree fell on mine six years ago and State Farm totaled it. I bought it back for almost nothing, pushed the roof back up by lying inside it and pushing with with my feet, got a new windshield, and have been driving it ever since. It has... personality.

after market theft deterrent ?
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Dogma » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Solty wrote:
Dogma wrote:.....I like cars with body damage as long as they run well. A tree fell on mine six years ago and State Farm totaled it. I bought it back for almost nothing, pushed the roof back up by lying inside it and pushing with with my feet, got a new windshield, and have been driving it ever since. It has... personality.

100%. It's like camouflage. People look right past it. Plus I don't worry about driving it off road or in the snow. It leaks a little when it rains, but that's easily worth $8,000. :mrgreen:
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Solty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Dogma wrote:
Solty wrote:

100%. It's like camouflage. People look right past it. Plus I don't worry about driving it off road or in the snow. It leaks a little when it rains, but that's easily worth $8,000. :mrgreen:

yessir!
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks for the advice! I think I will clean it up a bit and try and sell it myself. I have a buddy who details cars and will give me a good deal, I've been to him before.

As for the body work, the entire 4" or so strip under the door from the front to rear quarter panel is missing and the white clips that hold it are exposed. This looks pretty shitty and unless the person values body damage like Dogma and myself, I think it will be a huge red flag. I think the part will come painted from the factory but the reason it's come off is I ran over a curb and bent my fender, I took it to a body shop looking for a cheap repair and they said they need to straighten out the fender and would do it all for ~250$.

All in all it looks like I may invest around $400 or so for the body work and detailing, hopefully this helps me sell the car. I'm afraid it will be difficult to sell due to all of the accords listed on CL, maybe those guys are scammers...

As far as the car goes:
Make: Honda
Model: Accord EX, 2dr
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Color: Black
Features: Sunroof, leather, 6 disc CD changer, rear spoiler, power seats, power windows, power mirrors

If someone was to put me in touch with an individual who eventually purchased the vehicle I would be extremely appreciative.

Dogma wrote:What is the mileage and color? Where are you? Maybe we can send someone your way. Personally, I like cars with body damage as long as they run well. A tree fell on mine six years ago and State Farm totaled it. I bought it back for almost nothing, pushed the roof back up by lying inside it and pushing with with my feet, got a new windshield, and have been driving it ever since. It has... personality.

This is how I feel about cars now (before too, I claim temporary insanity caused by media and advertisement). Thing is, the car is still nice and I'd rather someone who appreciates the niceness drive it around than I. My old jeep was a tank and would've ran forever, I want something comparable back.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jaysus » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:20 am

I thought about this a little bit over night, and if I were in your shoes, I think I would do whatever I could to pay of the Honda ASAP, then drive it to the grave. With a little bit of maintenance, you will not need another car for a very long time.

I am Jeep guy too and my wife drives a Honda - so, uhhh... yeah, there's that.

P.S. did you ever sell your Kong? There is a Llama looking for one.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dogma » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 am

$400 to get rid of the body damage and get it cleaned up sounds like a good idea. 5 speed Accord is not as common, so hopefully you'll find someone who's been hunting for a stick. Good luck!

On the other hand, Jaysus makes a good point. There's a lot to be said for knowing a car's history, and Hondas run forever (we have two). It may have lost 75% of its monetary value, but it could still have 50% of its life left. That's a good side of the equation to be on. You'll be pretty bummed if you get a Jeep and it ends up needing a lot of work. Plus there's the cost of gas to consider. Decisions, decisions.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:40 am

Jaysus wrote:I thought about this a little bit over night, and if I were in your shoes, I think I would do whatever I could to pay of the Honda ASAP, then drive it to the grave. With a little bit of maintenance, you will not need another car for a very long time.

I am Jeep guy too and my wife drives a Honda - so, uhhh... yeah, there's that.

P.S. did you ever sell your Kong? There is a Llama looking for one.

Hmm... this may be a better idea and I do have enough cash on hand do pay it off. I have been thinking that in buying a 10 year old Jeep I could be asking for trouble and expensive repairs. My only problem with shelling out the cash to pay it off is that I wish it was a mid sized suv or pickup. What do you guys think about a swap or trade with a dealer on something comparably priced?

EDIT: Kong has been sold. I'm down to a single bag; my cute little cammo squirrel monkey.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Dogma » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:53 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote: My only problem with shelling out the cash to pay it off is that I wish it was a mid sized suv or pickup.

Sounds like you want to trade for a '98 CRV with some tree damage. :)
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Return to Garage Sale