carpal tunnel

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:25 am

krusen wrote:Thanks to WebMD, I'm fairly certain that my problem is more of a tennis elbow issue. I haven't lifted weights or thrown a disc for a few months, and I no longer have pain, but I know things are not quite healed yet. I ordered a powerball yesterday for rehabbing. I'll keep you updated on how it works.

Tennis elbow I believe is a detached tendon. There is a strap that fits right under your elbow to alleviate it.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:15 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:Tennis elbow I believe is a detached tendon. There is a strap that fits right under your elbow to alleviate it.

From Web MD:
Also called lateral epicondylitis, tennis elbow occurs when there is tendon damage at the elbow where some of the forearm and hand muscles connect to the upper arm bone. It affects the muscles you use when extending your wrist and fingers.

Not detached, just damaged. From what I've read, those straps help by limiting muscle flex in the area, but are not a good idea for long term use. I might end up getting one of those too, but my intentions are to heal it fully and strengthen the surrounding muscles so it goes away.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:15 pm

Yeah if you can rehab it, that's good. Some of the people that I know have more severe tennis elbow; one of the guys says his is detached. He doesn't wear it all the time, but he has to wear it, for example, when he plays drums.

Actually, I'm thinking maybe he has a detached tendon and just calls it tennis elbow due to the brace he has to wear.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:39 am

Got my powerball on Saturday. I hit 11K w/ it already! Forearms are not sore at all. left wrist is kinda sore, and certain muscles in both hands are really sore.

I kinda took it easy as not to overdo it. Now I can step it up. When you get those rpms up there, the thing is really hard to hold on to, so I can say confidently that it will improve my grip on a disc. Not sure yet how much it will help to rehab my elbow, but while using it, I can really feel a pump in the forearm.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Mark Brunner » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:58 am

Keep us up to date on your progress using the powerball! I am interested.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby calvarycoffee » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:10 am

here's the update:

i had wrist surgery on the 13th of january. that was just over 6 weeks ago.

went out to play the local course yesterday. a little snow here and there but ok.

I can tell a BIG DIFFERENCE in my distance and power. I've added 15-30 MORE FEET to my drives!! I was flipping over my "stable" driver discs. my grip seems more powerful too.

i flipped over my flashes and my jk valks, which i've never been able to do before. throwing a XS was an ugly site. hehe.

my power drives average 300ft before surgery. can't wait to get back out and work on distance

midrange and approches are the same. some shots require a little less effort now.

putts are equal. . .

on the BAD side, my first 'power throw' hurt quite a bit in the scarred region on my hand. but throughout the round it 'toughened up'. that, or i shifted my grip to compensate. either way works for now.

now, i will have to re learn my discs, perhaps upgrade to more stable ones. thats a bummer though.

but, i guess any of us would pay that price to get +400' drives
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:58 pm

its really good to hear that youre able to get back out so soon and that it seems you are not going to have any long term problems. Keep us updated
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby roadkill » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:46 pm

krusen wrote:Got my powerball on Saturday. I hit 11K w/ it already! Forearms are not sore at all. left wrist is kinda sore, and certain muscles in both hands are really sore.

I kinda took it easy as not to overdo it. Now I can step it up. When you get those rpms up there, the thing is really hard to hold on to, so I can say confidently that it will improve my grip on a disc. Not sure yet how much it will help to rehab my elbow, but while using it, I can really feel a pump in the forearm.

You can use exercise gyros such as powerball for two different purposes:

- Strength building

- Rehabilitation

The key difference is your intensity level.

If you have healthy hands, wrists, forearms, shoulders and want to increase disc distance, bat speed, club head speed or racquet speed, you want to use your gyro in 30 second burst intervals. By this I mean rev the gyro as fast as you can for 30 seconds and then ease off for 60 seconds of active rest. Doing 3-5 of these intervals 5-6 days a week will yeild significant strength gains after 30 days.

On the other hand if you have carpal tunnel, tennis elbow, rsi, shoulder instability or other ailment, the best way to use the gyro is gentle steady wrist rotations at about 25-35% effort. If you have a speedmeter it would amount to 2000-3500 rpms. You would maintain this gentle speed for about 20 minutes a day while watching TV switching hands every 3-4 minutes or so.

I personally got great results rehabing my rotator cuff by keeping a gyro by my tv recliner and made it a habit of working the gyro everytime I sat down to watch the boob tube. Now that my shoulder is in good shape I'm back to my intense strength version workout 5 days a week.

Very competitive prices at www.ultimategyro.com
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Previous

Return to General Discussion