Shoe Help

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Shoe Help

Postby rusch_bag » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:51 am

Well basically I need suggestions for picking out shoes. I am looking for something that is lighter weight, waterproof, and I need the sole to be durable and not fall off. They also need to be comfortable. I have 4 pairs of shoes right now where the sole is peeling off of my right foot starting on the outside of the shoe. I have tried to shoe goo them back together but it lasts like 4 or 5 drives before it rips open. I have currently tried and in my order of the shoe lasting it has gone, solomons, merrells, vasque, and then nike/adidas are tied. I had one pair of solomons make it through their life and one that did not, 3 pairs of merrells and only my chameleons still have the sole on them but they are the least comfortable shoe I think I have ever worn. I was not impressed at all with my one pair of vasque shoes, and nike/adidas was obviously going to be bad but I needed something cheap for the time being.

So, with all that said, does anyone know of a shoe that won't fall apart on me after a couple months?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Shoe Help

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:59 am

Will you soil your panties if they cost more than $100? If not, I can give you a few suggestions.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby rusch_bag » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:21 pm

I spent over 100 on most of the shoes I have right now so I will not be too upset with them being over 100.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Postby longneck » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:26 pm

longneck
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby tgm » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm a big Keen fan. I have wider feet and they fit the best. Can't speak to how long they last though, I'm still on my first pair of only a year old.

I've got the Newport Trails and I wear them in snow too, they work great. I have the sandal versions that I wear in the summer sometimes too.
sols, trak, pd/teebird, firebird, buzzz, ridge, summit
tgm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby dgdave » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:45 pm

longneck wrote:if price is no problem http://www.leesadventuresports.com/lees ... scGolfShoe

Mine blew out I'm about 6 rounds.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Yehosha » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:07 pm

dgdave wrote:
longneck wrote:if price is no problem http://www.leesadventuresports.com/lees ... scGolfShoe

Mine blew out I'm about 6 rounds.

Yep there's a thread dedicated to those here. At first everyone loved them and were all excited....then they actually started using them and they fell apart.
Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby rusch_bag » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:43 pm

I would prefer to spend less but if someone can guarantee me a miracle shoe i would spend the money.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Well... one of my most recent indulgences was a pair of Treksta Kobra's. They intrigued me because I've worn shoes with the BOA lacing system before but not on a shoe this outdoorsy. I really enjoy the BOA lacing because of ease of use with the longevity to not be a gimmick. So I gave them a try and I managed to snag a pair for right around $120 or so by waiting for sales. The color isn't the greatest but it's not terrible and the shoe over all really looks like it would fall apart in the 6 rounds Dave said his keen's did. Around the time I wore them for the first time I found the contact info for the company that provides them to the U.S. (korean based company) and I have had several dialogues with him over the shoe. Suffice to say, I told him they would never last and he told me to test them and let him know. 8 months later, they are still waterproof, the BOA laces are great, the rubber on one of the lugs is just now starting to pull off, but the shoe is structurally sound. I was very surprised with the longevity of the shoe.

I wholeheartedly recommend them. I'm going to shoe goo the black rubber on the one heel point where the thin black layer separated from the rest of the rubber and hope it makes the shoe new again. The fit is marvelous for my feet as well. They're not Keen width but they're not far off. They're like what Salomon's should be for those of us that DON'T have skinny fucking feet. Let me take this moment to say fuck you Salomon for your catering to thin feet and not offering even a decent portion of your line up to people with wide feet. I'll be giving my money to other companies who offer wide sizes. :evil: Anyway, the Kobra's are worth a try in my opinion.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:27 pm

These have also treated me VERY well. No rubber separation at all. Very roomy and fantastic grip.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby RS39 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:55 am

Sorta what you asked...

I have an old pair of North Face 103 GTX that have been excellent except for one area, the tread under the ball of my foot peeled back where there is a gap exposing the support foam in the design (I shop to avoid this now). Local shoe guy did not get the flap to stay put, so I cut them off and the shoes have otherwise been excellent. Took over a year for the gtex to blow out where the rubber toe meets the mesh sides/lacing starts/most flexed area.

I've gone to Seal Skins for the few cold days I need dry sneaks outside of winter boot season.

My Vasque Aether Techs with Boa lacing have been pretty comfy this summer. Ugly orange snagged $56 as the last in my size online. Great tread for muddy hills.

Another fan of NB D width, anti skinny shoe....
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:42 am

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBo ... y=4&Type=M

ive had a pair of these for almost a year now and they are BULLETPROOF! after 6 months of DG use (enough to destroy most any other shoe ive owned) i started using them for work boots too (40 hrs a week of trade work) and they are still going strong. right at the top of my list of best DG shoes ever.....next to fivefingers KSO Treks :wink:
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:55 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=3105869899&Category=4&Type=M

ive had a pair of these for almost a year now and they are BULLETPROOF! after 6 months of DG use (enough to destroy most any other shoe ive owned) i started using them for work boots too (40 hrs a week of trade work) and they are still going strong. right at the top of my list of best DG shoes ever.....next to fivefingers KSO Treks :wink:

Seconded. I have the high top version and they are the shit. Order a half size smaller than you normally would imo.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby backswing » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:11 pm

Best advice I got was to go to REI. I got some Gortex Merril Moabs in the mid length. No issues at all, comfy, keeps water out, great grip on all surfaces and the soles are holding up. I'm pretty rough on DG shoes at 6' 2" 260lbs and the soles of these still have a ton of tread. I play 2-3 rounds a week on very rocky courses in Austin. The toes are starting to pull away but that just means it's time to go back to REI to swap them out for a new pair. The best reason to get them from REI.
backswing
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:58 pm

Jeronimo wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=3105869899&Category=4&Type=M

Seconded. I have the high top version and they are the shit. Order a half size smaller than you normally would imo.

hmmmmmm... i usually wear 12/12.5 and i get these in 13
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Next

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear