*New video* critique my throw? what am I doing wrong?

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

*New video* critique my throw? what am I doing wrong?

Postby Codester101 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Newest video

NEW VIDEO.
I think I am taking way to big of a plant step, and not getting my hand as close to my chest as I should, anything else you see?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSW5Pd_0wNo

OLD VIDEOS
backhand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM_TqR0VNhk
backhand and forehand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCLxObuFWPs
please help critique me on both my back and forehand drives.... The best of these were getting around 320, any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by Codester101 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I can find.

Re: critique my throw? what am I doing wrong?

Postby dgdave » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Slow down and get your weight forward
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby keepitfreshbrah » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:55 pm

As Dave said you weight is very far back when you release, also work on your pull back, if you slow down and reach back further and focus on coming off the right pec for your snap your distance should improve. In the second video it looks as if all your throws are being released with a strong anhyzer. If this is true you may want to throw slower disc such as midrange or understable discs, and work on a clean level release, before you step it up to the faster discs or you may further develop Oat
wizard|fuse|wasp|gazelle|predator|pd|roadrunner
keepitfreshbrah
Noob

Favorite Disc: Gazelle

Postby Codester101 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:23 pm

Thanks for the help, I will When talking about the strong annies, were you meaning the backhand or forehand or both? Some of the discs I (being the standard teenager) went out and bought before I realized that faster isn't always better. I usually throw with a sidewinder, but just naturally threw annies with the faster ones because I can't keep them on a good line. (I only threw them here so I could have more than 2 throws.)
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Postby Codester101 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:27 pm

oops, just realized that I mislabeled the videos, thats why the question about which throw...
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Postby Codester101 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:29 pm

(Just reviewing the video) Having the camera at ground level probably made it look more anhyzer that it actually was, (not saying it wasn't, just not as bad as it looks.) many of them flew really flat... but idk
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Postby seabas22 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:35 pm

Hurts to watch, good thing you are still young. You stop all forward momentum FH and BH and direct it back so theres no weight transfer. Walk the x-step or go to a one step throw, the run up does nothing for you at this point.

BH: Reachback is curling where it should be straight. Pulling in too fast with no snap or acceleration. No elbow chop so the disc never gets to the right pec or power zone. On the follow through the back leg jams into the plant leg, it should kick up and swing around while the plant foot pivots. Also finishing anny torquing the disc over. I'd start with the right pec drill and work the hit backwards with putters/mids.

FH: Your elbow is already in front of the shoulder line at your max reachback, so your elbow is way ahead of the shoulders and not getting much leverage. Your right shoulder also finishes high or anny which is part of not getting the weight forward or reverse pivoting. Try a slightly shorter plant step and lean over more so you finish more like a pitcher.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:45 am

Welcome. Your knees bend the other way around from what they should be. Try to find a place where you won't slip. The plant step should have the knee with a little bend but the rear leg should really kick forward hard and have the knee straight at the hit with the leg planted. Or with the Feldy style kick the rear leg to the right of the right leg to avoid twisting the upper body into wrong direction from the arm straightening. Other things may change after you gain balance and get your weight forward so I'd post a new video after changing those.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Codester101 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks for the help, whats the right pec drill again? Also, I think I am getting my weight forward more (haven't video taped again, so I'm not sure how far...) but it has helped me be much more consistent in both distance and accuracy, (still right around 330, but staying in the range of 325 to 330 instead of 275-330) I will ask people who look like they know what they are doing to help me next time I head to the course,
Again, Thanks for the help!
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Postby seabas22 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:32 am

seabas22
Tree Magnet

Re: *New video* critique my throw? what am I doing wrong?

Postby Codester101 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:24 pm

bump with new vid
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:50 pm

:shock: wow you really took it seriously when they told you to get weight forward. you are correct in your self-observation that your plant step is too big. you also look like you are using too much arm (too much wasted effort). Your throw looks immensely better than the first video but you still have some room to improve. keep the weight forward mentality but now work on being silky, buttery, greasy, baby-ass smooth. don't try to throw hard. you look like a fairly young guy so that means you have more years of enjoyment and adjustment ahead of you. It's good that you are trying to do things right. keep it up. just remember be smooooooooooth.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby seabas22 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Yeah...wow! Falling over forward now, but looks better. Still pulling in too fast and running up too fast, so there's no late acceleration and out of control. You're not getting your hips in there. For hyzer your left hip should come through lower when facing toward the target. For footwork it may help to land your right leg a few inches farther to the right and shorter.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Do you get non pig stable discs to turn over a lot with those throws? Your follow through has the arm going down which flips discs over. If you look at the I only throw 430' with Ions thread there's a vid of a guys that goes as much weight forward with D throws. Just not in those vids. And he is so much weight forward only with a run up and 360 from what i've seen. With equally long plant step. The weight being so far forward and the final step so long is necessary to keep the discs low enough for him because he's just shy of 700' at Primm. Jussi Meresmaa won Big D 8. I need to get almost or equally weight forward now to keep my Nuke low and i only got it to 405' +- a few feet with skips yesterday.

You don't turn your torso form the hips farther to the right than the knees and the shoulders don't turn right of the torso. That loses in power generation and acceleration meaning spin loss too. You turn toward the target too early. The disc should be in the right pec position with the knees, hips and shoulder line facing 90 degrees left of the target. You aren't far off the mark there. Just a little early with the turning toward the target. In order to turn toward the target you need to really accelerate explosively with the hips and shoulders.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Codester101 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:46 am

I don't think things torque over too much, my stalker will turn a tiny bit, and my wraith (well beat star) can't have hardly any hyzer and flip up, just guessing (i have not had a computer with google earth with me yet) but i think my furthest drives there were 380ish. The first one was a pretty bad worm burner, but the rest were fairly good.
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Video Critique