Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Vi

Postby masterbeato » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:12 pm

i recommend putters and mids to start out with. any kind will do. the key is to feel timing, and gain accuracy. over time you will be able to control OAT, but you first have to learn how to throw clean!

i highly suggest if you have magnets, or some other non stable putter, practice throwing pure and clean hyzer flip shots with them because if you can control a hyzer flip with a putter like that nice and clean, then you can basically do it with anything else.

even though you have big snap, this drill is not only working on distance but it will make you more efficient.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby patdabunny » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:16 pm

Hey Dan--

Quick question for you. I think I may have a little bit of OAT creeping in to some of my throws. I've been able to get my D out to just over 500' on pretty much line drives. When I drive for D, I generally throw with a tiny bit of hyzer (~15 deg or less) to get a straight (or a small S) flight out of my destroyers and bosses. Now, to prevent OAT and to try and have the most "efficient" throws, you keep your arm in the same plane all the way through the follow through, right?

I also seem to have a problem "remembering" to do all the things that combine to make a great throw (relaxing, reaching back as far as you can, starting with your hips, etc). In other words, I "forget" what I practice in the field. What do you do to remedy this? Is it just burned into your brain from so much practice and playing? Or, is there a routine you do?

Also, on long bombs on the course where it's pretty wide open, do you throw big tunrover bombs or more hyzer flip S shots? Just curious to get in your head. I'd say which ever would get you further down the fairway, assuming your couldn't reach it either way. (Obviously a lot depends on the wind, but take that out of the equation for now.)

Thanks for all of your help. It has taken me and my game up to a new level. Gone from 350' in March to 520' in July! Tonight in practice I hit 520' again and 480' with an E*TB! You and Blake have a really good teaching thing going here. I tell everyone who is learning about you guys.
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby masterbeato » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:24 pm

patdabunny wrote:Hey Dan--

Quick question for you. I think I may have a little bit of OAT creeping in to some of my throws. I've been able to get my D out to just over 500' on pretty much line drives. When I drive for D, I generally throw with a tiny bit of hyzer (~15 deg or less) to get a straight (or a small S) flight out of my destroyers and bosses. Now, to prevent OAT and to try and have the most "efficient" throws, you keep your arm in the same plane all the way through the follow through, right?

I also seem to have a problem "remembering" to do all the things that combine to make a great throw (relaxing, reaching back as far as you can, starting with your hips, etc). In other words, I "forget" what I practice in the field. What do you do to remedy this? Is it just burned into your brain from so much practice and playing? Or, is there a routine you do?

Also, on long bombs on the course where it's pretty wide open, do you throw big tunrover bombs or more hyzer flip S shots? Just curious to get in your head. I'd say which ever would get you further down the fairway, assuming your couldn't reach it either way. (Obviously a lot depends on the wind, but take that out of the equation for now.)

Thanks for all of your help. It has taken me and my game up to a new level. Gone from 350' in March to 520' in July! Tonight in practice I hit 520' again and 480' with an E*TB! You and Blake have a really good teaching thing going here. I tell everyone who is learning about you guys.

what makes a great throw is timing, you already seem to have that. OAT is OK if you are trying to turn something over for D and you need that for certain discs unless it is coming out wobbly. Otherwise you throw too clean like I do all of the time it does not turn like i want it instead it hyzers and i come up about 100' short of where i want to put it.

i have made a huge gain in distance this year as well. i hear from Blake that i am possibly cusping up on Kallstrom type power these days, which is quite an accomplishment to say the least. after reviewing some things, the best thing is to keep drilling. i am always on the course thinking about how i want my wrist, shoulders, plant foot etc. to hit. practice tweaking yoru wrist when you throw palm facing down for cleaner overstable shots, neutral for helping flatten out the disc, and palm facing up for torque over turnovers. or shoulder orientation coming downwards to help turn it over, flat or finish high.

those are things to think about when you want to enforce power onto a particular line.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby masterbeato » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:26 pm

when on a big wide open hole and it is like 1000 feet or something i would actually still try and throw a high line drive 45' in the air, but if i am feeling lucky, i with throw a 50' in the air distance line and get as close to 700' as humanly possible without a 360'. which most likely will not happen but if you try you will still get it out there pretty far.

most likely will be throwing a roller though depending on the terrain.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby patdabunny » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:21 pm

Good for you for making such strides! I think FD was right--you are more machine than bear! :lol:

What is it that takes you up to and beyond the 600' level? To get the extra 75' I need, is it luck with the wind? More technique? Last night, I was able to get my shots so that they panned out and started to hyzer out about 10-15' off the ground. I've read that's the best way to get max d. It was also pretty cool seeing my TBs just float for like a minute (vs the Bosses that took 1/2 that time...) in their S turn. Really cool.

I'd like to hear what is the best way to get from the 500' to 600'+ level.

Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:02 pm

patdabunny wrote:I'd like to hear what is the best way to get from the 500' to 600'+ level.

that level actually depends on the person to be quite honest. that is to the point of someone being able to accelerate their arm past 100mph at the hit kind of thing.

60% in and 100% out - their 60% in is quite massive compared to others, and Kallstrom is sickness. the avg. person accelerating at that speed does not have the strength or whatever you call it to keep accelerating after that, they just decelerate.

if that makes sense.

there is actually no way a human being as far as technology is today that can line drive 600'+.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby patdabunny » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:10 pm

I think I'm really going to try and work on acceleration at the hit and also throwing high turnover d shots. I've never been able to do that well, so might as well try it! :mrgreen:

Thanks again. I have been recently watching Kallstrom and he is really sick. Crazy insane kind of stuff. Especially when he does all this and his weight is back much further than most. Strange.

Daniel

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby kachtz1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:52 am

pat

going from 500'-600', the only real noticeable difference for me was feeling like i was getting more spin on the disc.

i was throwing over 500 just kinda frisbee whipping the disc around my body.

i started hitting 600 when i actually pulled the disc across my chest and it was forced out of my hand by the acceleration. it feels like my arm is moving slower using this form, but the spin on the disc is so much greater.
kachtz1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby patdabunny » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:34 pm

kachtz1 wrote:pat

going from 500'-600', the only real noticeable difference for me was feeling like i was getting more spin on the disc.

i was throwing over 500 just kinda frisbee whipping the disc around my body.

i started hitting 600 when i actually pulled the disc across my chest and it was forced out of my hand by the acceleration. it feels like my arm is moving slower using this form, but the spin on the disc is so much greater.

Thanks for the insight. I've gotten to 550' recently and that was by using slightly more understable plastic (pro vs e* boss), by accelerating my hand at my right pec as fast as I could, and by using my hips exclusively to accelerate the disc initially. All of that combined to make for some really powerful, fairly accurate throws. (All were within 50-75' of the target at 600'.) I'll focus on this even more when I practice or play next.

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm

kachtz1 wrote:i was throwing over 500 just kinda frisbee whipping the disc around my body.

Me too... only it was 500 inches. What you've essentially said to the many of us that are bustin' our balls with practice and study and trying SO hard to throw 350' is that you were throwing 500' without really trying... that hurts :( I've seen the video and believe you so it's not sour grapes or anything, just demonstrates how some people just really have a natural tendency towards something - whether it's from previous training, body physique or whatever. Really drills that home.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby thuracine187 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:39 am

http://www.youtube.com/user/oqohkqh1928 ... 2n54o5xE5Y

This guy uploaded Dan's video to advertise his ball golf website.
thuracine187
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Orc

Postby masterbeato » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:05 pm

thuracine187 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/user/oqohkqh192861#p/u/56/N2n54o5xE5Y

This guy uploaded Dan's video to advertise his ball golf website.

damn! i am going to ball golf now?

pad,

shits awesome that your goin 550', top of the top 1% in the world, and to hear that my video of Blake's drill that got you there is exceptionally more awesome to hear!

anyone can get at least 450', and if you wanna call me again udder, i will be available most this weekend just out in the field workin on my game.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby patdabunny » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Your teaching has really helped me as I said. Just ask BlakeT, I think I caused one of two things: Either his hair to go completely gray from frustration with me or for him to go bald as he tore his hair out getting frustrated from me asking so many questions! :lol:

If you ever get down here (KY), let me know and we'll hook up for a round.

Daniel

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby justaguy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:54 am

This is definitely the best instructional video i've ever seen. I learned a lot from this and i'm sure i still will.
justaguy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Stalker

Postby Smigles » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:54 am

I did the first exercise yesterday, just driving from standstill with the disc at the chest, turning the shoulders back a bit and snap it out there. After a few tries i started getting them 70-80 meters just from standstill. My normal drives go at LEAST 100 meters, and good drives go to 120-130 meters. During that exercise, i noticed a new feeling for whip - snap, with the lower arm saccelerating realy fast. Wasnt able to try drives with runup because the soccer field i train on got realy crowded by then, but will do more practice when i find the field empty enugh.

Is it possible to have 120-130 meter drives from just strong arming it ? How much further can i go with the proper whip-technique ?

( I only play a year, and i have improved my drives from 60+ meters to 120+ meters in that time, but i want 150+ ^^ I know it must be possible, i wonder what the best way may be to improve my drives further... Would it help to have a video of my form ? )

edit : to make my question more clear : I have no idea how my form is. Maybe i am allready at perfect form and 130 meters is just as far as i ever get. Maybe i am totaly strong arming it and could go up to 200 meters. I just dont know. Is it possible to strong arm a drive 130 meters ? Can doing this exercice have negative side effects at all ? What's the best way to get some feedback on my drives ?
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

PreviousNext

Return to Technique