Mike C's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Mike C's bag

Postby Mike C » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:22 am

Updated - Scroll down a few posts

DRIVERS

172 ESP Surge - not a permanent member of my bag, but I've played around with using it as a distance driver. Typically only get it 15 feet further than my teebird and I find it less reliable so I question it's worth in my bag. Might be more excited about it when I get better at driving?
175g *RR - long annies, s curve distance throws and straight distance shots when there's no wind. One of my favorite discs.
175g pro FB - this was my go to driver but the teebird took it's spot. I use it as a reliable max d disc or the same shots I'd use the TB for when the wind is forceful or I want a bit more D.
175g *TB - this beefy teebird is my go to driver. On a good throw I can toss this 8 - 12 feet high for 400 feet of distance. I can really muscle it without fear of turning it over.
Leopard - I rotate between a ?g CE, a 172 pro and 175 star. I use it like a slower a roadrunner. I also like this for straighter drives and sometimes on hyzer lines where I want a more delayed fade than the teebird.

MIDS

176 glo z buzz - everything that's too much for a wizard and not long enough for the fairway drivers...usually in the 280 - 360 foot range, more or less depending on elevation etc. I try to drive with this when I can, and step up to the teebird etc only when needed. I use it for straight shots, annies, long approaches and hyzer drives where a teebird would be too much.

PUTTERS

SS wiz - tuned so it's really understable. I throw it with power grip flat and straight with 250 feet of power and it turns itself right for a gradual anny the whole flight. Works goodfor tight anny putts.

SS wiz - not tuned at all but broken in nicely. This one will fly 300 feet straight with 5-10 feet of fade at the end. It's hit metal three times off the tee, it's my go to putter and driver unless there's lots of trees in my way. I baby this one a bit to keep it at the stage of wear it's at because it flies perfect.

S wiz - tried the firm wizard for woodsy drives but I prefer the softer plastics. The most stable of the bunch, will probably tune it to more stable as it wears to keep it that way. Flies great, not as good as the slightly stable ss but I cringe less when this smacks a tree.

That's my typical bag for courses with 400 foot plus holes. For smaller courses I take out all the drivers except the TB and maybe a leopard.

I've thought about trying the TL out because I might be able to throw just that rather than teebirds and leopards from what I've heard about them. The firebird used to be my favorite driver bu since throwing teebirds it feels kind of excessive to me.

Took me a while to get used to driving with the wizard but I'm happy with it these days. For a while I still carried a beefy champ rhyno but I found myself not doing anything with it my wizard could do for me. I'd feel pretty content playing any course with my wiz/buzz/TB combo.
Last edited by Mike C on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: Mike C's bag

Postby longneck » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:39 am

add a comet. take out surge.
longneck
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby Mike C » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:48 am

longneck wrote:add a comet. take out surge.

I think I will take the surge out. Don't feel like I'm throwing up to max d driver range. Curious to try the comet since so many people who throw the buzz throw them too.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby longneck » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:35 am

Mike C wrote:
longneck wrote:add a comet. take out surge.

I think I will take the surge out. Don't feel like I'm throwing up to max d driver range. Curious to try the comet since so many people who throw the buzz throw them too.

You need an under stable mid range. It will hold any line you put it on.
longneck
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby Mike C » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:00 am

Updated.

This is my current bag.

SS Wizard 174, well broken in, super floppy and very straight
S Wizard 175, flies nice and straight too
Evo Wizard, just got it today. More stable than the other two. Mainly got it for drives where I might hit a tree and mess up the soft ones
FLX Buzz 167g, was found in a tree so weather exposure + lighter weight make it my understable mid
Z Glo Buzz 175, been tossing it for a few months. Still a touch more stable than I'd like but it'll beat in eventually
Star Leopard 175g, favorite driver
Star Teebird 171g, go to driver for headwind / left to right wind, and max D driver
Pro Firebird 175g, strong headwings, strong left hooks

Considering dropping the FB for the 175 Teebird I used to carry, as it feels super beefy and I feel I could cover the same spots with it that my FB currently does.

Real content with this setup. Don't feel like I'm lacking anything.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Danforth » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:20 pm

If this was me (I rock a bag pretty close to this) I'd get the Leo in a lighter weight (165 and you might consider also carying a 150)and/or switch to Pro plastic and I'd switch the Pro Firebird for a Champ or Star. You might also look into an X Buzzz for the understable duties, it glides a bit better than FLX. On the E Wiz, the clear Evo plasic has better glide AFAIK.
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Postby Mike C » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:46 pm

Minimalised my bag some more.

Putters: Evo Wizard (Primary putter, approach disc, driver for most anything under 320), Organic Wizard (Back-up putter, water hole driver etc. No particular reason I chose this Wizard other than to test out the plastic)

Mids: 176 FLX Buzz (Short range control driver, roughly 325-370 feet depending on wind conditions. It's a touch straighter than the Z Glo which works well because I use my Buzz for a couple gradual anny drives, will switch back to the Glo when this one gets flippy)

Drivers: 171 *Teebird (Worn, go to driver, love it. Getting kind of flippy for me in headwinds though. This and the other drivers are used for 340-420), 175 *TB (Beefy as hell, only for strong headwinds, found I prefer it for this slot to the FB), 175 Champ Leopard (Tried lighter * Leopards, felt too flippy, happy with this one. Go to tailwind driver, controlled anny drives too long for a buzz), 175 * Roadrunner (tailwind D driver, S shots, 400 foot annies)
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keepitfreshbrah » Sat May 01, 2010 9:42 am

You may want to consider picking up an xXx as a meat hook, it is a bit shorter and more overstable then a firebird in my experience. Also it is a great overhand disc/ fh roller
wizard|fuse|wasp|gazelle|predator|pd|roadrunner
keepitfreshbrah
Noob

Favorite Disc: Gazelle

Postby Mike C » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:35 pm

2x Organic Magics
Organic Wizard
Z Glo Buzz
Element HPP
2x Star Teebird
Star Destroyer

That's the current setup.

Golf D is about as follows: Magic - 300 | Wizard - 340 | Buzz - 370 | Teebird - 410 | Destroyer - 425.

I tried the Magics out a few days ago and I love them for putting and approaching. There's no fade to fight like a Wizard when you want to run straight at the chains, which is what I prefer to hyzer putting. Dead straight on 120-220ish foot approaches. Great for anhyzer drives up to a bit past 300. Still playing around with throwing them straight as far as I can.

Keeping a Wizard in the bag as a reliable short range driver that I have a lot of confidence / experience with.

The Buzz and Element is my mid combo right now. The buzz is pretty stable, and can handle lots of power, while the Element takes very little power to get going, turns right more easily and is more of a finesse feeling disc all around. Still playing with it in regards to how hard and far I can toss it. Might switch the Buzz out for a Roc to cover a wider stability range.

The two Teebirds are both star, one worn 171 and an overstable 175. The 171 holds a great line in calm conditions for 400' or a bit past, and I can turn it over easily for drives that need to go right. The 175 fades hard left, can handle a strong headwind.

The Destroyer is worn star, 175, with a flat top. Flies great, I just need to keep throwing it to get used to it. I have a 2nd I bring on days I play alone and want to toss multiple drives for practice. Will eventually beat one in for an understable max D disc.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mike C » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Magic x2/ Wizard x2/ Z Buzz/ Cheetah/ Teebird/ Destroyer

Sticking with that for now. The Element seems to love going off the fairways for me, just doesn't seem to be working out. Tried out a Warrior too and I like the feel but I don't find a midrange that stable useful. Back to the reliable Buzz. I may have to toss it with extra hyzer and power down a bit to get a strong fade, and it may take a bit of a forced anny for some right turning drives, but I make it work. It seems more consistent for me manipulating my buzz than trying to use various stabilities of molds. I do love the Element for FH approach though.

I kind of miss having just one putter mold, but the magic has such little left to right movement on longer putts, and it's great for 250-300 foot turnover drives. It's worth using as a dedicated putter at least, while my Wizards still handle 90% of my putter driving and approach. It's the straightest flying disc I've thrown.

Lately I've been using the Cheetah more and the Teebird less. I think I'm throwing a bit cleaner and more nose down, so I can get the Cheetah out to where I would of used the TB for. I kind of feel like taking the TB out as I feel Cheetah + Destroyer covers my driving game well, but it's so reliable and familiar. Been using the Cheetah a lot for BH rollers up to 380-400 ft. I'm finding them useful. Not consistent with them enough to bust one out in a tourney, but as I practice it I'm sure it will become a good shot to have.

Discs I'm field testing: Flick, Stalker, Warrior, Boss, Force, Sidewinder, Summit, Roadrunner

EDIT: Curent bag is SSS Magic 170 / S Wizard 178 / Z Glo Buzz 170 / Z Glo Stalker 171 / QOLF 168

Magic is used for all putts, including jump putts, and some short range approach.

Wizard is my go to approach disc, and short range driver. Used for roughly 100'-330'

Buzz is used as a control driver. I can put it on any line I need. I throw it in the 320'-370' range usually, but sometimes use it for shorter shots if I think it'd work better than the Wizard (Low ceilings etc.). I prefer the 170g Z Glo for all-around use, but I also have a 175g Z Glo and 177g Z Buzz that fade a little harder and glide a bit less, useful for headwinds.

Stalker is used like an extension of my Buzz. I use it for 350'-410' and find it equally useful for 365' hyzers as I do 400' anhyzers. It's also my favorite distance BH roller disc (Up to 420').

QOLF is the newest addition to the bag. I just purchased two 1.1 QOLFS, 168 and 171g. I prefer the 168 for it's slightly later fade, goes a little longer and is still plenty stable. This is my distance driver now, since I feel more in control of it than Destroyers and I'm throwing them within 10' of them anyways. More comfortable rim too. It's used for the 380'-450' range, sometimes shorter if I want a stronger fade then the Stalker offers. Still learning the disc obviously, but so far I find them long, consistent and possible to use for a variety of lines. The other day I threw a ~450' anhyzer that held the turn and then levelled out right as it was coming to the ground. It was interesting, it was the first time I tried to put it on an anhyzer like that.

I throw all the discs BH, OH, roller and FH.
Last edited by Mike C on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mike C » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:23 am

Took out the Magic and added a Predator. The Magic is sweet for strictly putting and certain woodsy approach shots, but I just don't like carrying two putter molds. I'd rather carry a beat Wizard and a newer Wizard, so I'm back to putting with those.

The Predator went in my bag for very strong headwinds, but I've since come to like it for thumbers, tomahawks and FH rollers. I use it for FH rollers more than anything else, as 99% of my distance driving I prefer the QOLF and Stalker.

I've got 3 QOLFS and a SOLF now. They all fly about the same, so I plan to try to thrash the SOLF to pair with a fresher QOLF.

Stocked up on Stalkers and the Buzz. I have a nice variety of both that fill a good variety of stabilities. I've been using the Stalkers for rollers a lot, and lines similar to what I do with my buzz but there's a low ceiling present. I like it for turnovers and shorter, controlled hyzer drives. The Buzz bridges the gap between my putter and Stalker nicely, and comes into play primarily on drives just outside comfortable putter range, and short shots where there's a low ceiling.

I am extremely happy with this setup and what it allows me to do. That said I'm testing out a Ridge, VP and Orc at the moment :D
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby cfair » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:59 am

Hey Mike, let us know how things go with the Ridge and VP. Also I'm interested to see what you have to say about the Orc again. On DGCR you were saying something about it going almost as far as your destroyer throws but you felt more control. Lets hear the results.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby Mike C » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:26 am

Suppose I should update this.

168g SS Wizard, putting putter.
174 Organic Wizard, beating it up ASAP to replace the 179 beat S Wiz I lost. Drives and approaches, redundant with the E Wiz until I beat it up more.
174g Evo Wizard. Driving Wizard / putt through a bush Wizard (Softer plastics stick to shit, sometimes that's a bad thing) or when I need a better skip. Short range rollers, FH's and OH's too. Going up to about 350' BH 175' FH

Mids

167 beat FLX Buzz. Good for turnovers and anhyzers.
177 Z Buzz. Much more stable, less glide. Better for headwinds or stronger hyzer finish, or skip shots and rollers. Been throwing some good FH drives with it lately too. Also enjoying it for short OH shots (200-250'). Up to 375' BH 275' FH

Drivers

171 Z Glo Stalker. Fairway Driver. Recently decided to get flippy on me, so I only use it for turnovers and BH rollers now. Surprised it lost stability that quick.
173 Z Stalker. Stable Stalker, used for controlled hyzer and straight drives up to about 400' BH and 300' FH
164 Z Predator. Strong hyzer finishes, FH rollers, thumbers, headwind distance drives, when I want something super predictable. Used up to 400' BH 300' FH 325' OH
171 Star Orc. Distance driving. 400'+ BH open shots or shorter low ceiling shots.

Very pleased with my setup. Only thing I intend to change is adding another Orc or two, and maybe a max weight Predator if I find it useful enough to carry in addition to the one I have.

cfair: Ridge and VP are nice but don't really do much my Wizards don't besides fight headwinds a little better. Curious to try out their new driver though, since I do like their disc material. After throwing the Orc I have no interest in Destroyers at the moment. I could probably break in my Pro Destroyer more and enjoy throwing it, but I think the Orc is the ideal combination of speed and control for where my power is at. I can actually shape lines with it, while my Star Destroyers I find difficult to give me high speed turn and they take more power to travel the same distance it seems.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mike C » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Here's what I'm currently using. Distances listed are the max I'd typically throw a given mold on flat ground on a course.

166g Organic Proto Wizard - Putts
170g Gummy Evo Wizard - Drives, rollers and approach shots up to 320-340
172g OG Wiz - Water disc
177 FLX Buzz - Stable mid, used as a control driver up to about 375'
167 FLX Buzz - Understable mid, will do a turnover, holds anhyzers better, can go further than the heavier one if I need it to
175 ESP Cyclone - Testing this one out. Control driver to bridge the gap between Buzz and OLF, up to about 400'
169 OLF - Main distance driver, can shape lines with it well up to about 420, 425'
170 OLF - has a bit more high speed turn than the other one
173 Predator - Headwind D, thumbers, FH distance rollers. Very overstable even for a Pred, used for shorter shots too where I need a drastic left fade
164 SL - Max D Roller disc, that's it. Not very attached to this mold, just find it's easy to get 450-500' of roller D out of it
173 Z Nuke - Max D disc, used for the 430'+ range
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mike C » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:53 pm

166g Organic Proto Wizard - Putts
170g Gummy Evo Wizard - Drives, rollers and approach shots
178g S Wiz - Water disc
177 FLX Buzz - Stable mid, used as a control driver
175 ESP Cyclone - Control driver to bridge the gap between Buzz and OLF
175 QOLF - Somewhat overstable for a QOLF, used when I want a harder fade, no risk of turn over, or there's a decent headwind
170 QOLF - Stable QOLF, main driver, good line shaper.
173 Predator - Headwind D, thumbers, FH distance rollers, powered down shorter drives and approaches when I need a hard left fade or extreme wind resistance
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion