UFC Fightnight

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

UFC Fightnight

Postby Flipflat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:20 am

Anyone watching tonight? Should be a good night, hoping Sonnen backs up all the talk and whips Silva's ass. Edgar Vs Penn should be good, I thought it was close the first time they fought, Penn ended up with two black eyes (never seen that before), but it wasn't exactly a definative ass beating. Looks like there's going to be some other good fights; I love seeing Guida in the cage, as well as Matt Hughs. Roy Nelson Vs Dos Santos should be interesting. I never think Roy "beer belly" Nelson is going to win any fight I see him in, but he seems to pull it off somehow. So yeah, I'll be heading out to the bar with some friends to watch this tonight, anyone else?
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: Detroitish
Favorite Disc: buzzz

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby BLURR » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:50 am

I am no Anderson Silva fan, but Sonnen is a joke. His interview with mma radio was completely ridiculous. The way he was speaking, I would have thought he was on something.

I will be surprised if the Nelson/Santos fight goes past the first round.
I think Almeida presents a pretty big challenge for Hughes. If Hughes loses, I would guess he will retire.
Fitch/Silva will be a battle.
Guida/Dos Anjos won't even be a fight. Guida should rip this dude a new one.
Hazellete/Story should be an interesting fight. I want to see how Hazellete bounces back after getting wickedly KO'ed in his last fight.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby jubuttib » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:35 pm

I really liked UFC, until they started enforcing rules like no crotch-shots, time limits, weight classes, referee stoppages, etc. (And yes, I'm aware that in UFC 1 they had time limits. UFC 2 was the peak, been downhill since then.)

I mean, if you're basing a series on the premise that it's all out fighting, let the best man win (and everyone knows and agrees with the rules) then do it properly.

It's not bad, but I miss what it was and could have been...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5445
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby DsmDisc » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:58 pm

I'll be watching it. Sonnen better hope he doesn't lose the way he has been talking. Of course, he is probably going to lose. Silva is fantastic. What he did in both Franklin fights and vs. Griffin was unreal.
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
Eagle | Teebird | Firebird
Archon | Pro Wraith | Destroyer
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Des Moines
Favorite Disc: 06 Augusta Wraith

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby Flipflat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:57 pm

jubuttib wrote:I really liked UFC, until they started enforcing rules like no crotch-shots, time limits, weight classes, referee stoppages, etc. (And yes, I'm aware that in UFC 1 they had time limits. UFC 2 was the peak, been downhill since then.)

I mean, if you're basing a series on the premise that it's all out fighting, let the best man win (and everyone knows and agrees with the rules) then do it properly.

It's not bad, but I miss what it was and could have been...


Not sure about it being downhill since ufc 2, I think the quality of fights has gotten better since Dana White took over. The only good fights from that era were the Gracie Vs. Shamrock fights, IMHO. But you can't really compare now and then. One wonders how today's fighters would fare using the old school rules. Everyone is so built and well rounded training-wise.

Also, the Penn V Edgar fight is next ufc, I thought they were on the same card cuz they've been advertising both at the same time. :cry:
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: Detroitish
Favorite Disc: buzzz

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby bill » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Flipflat wrote: hoping Sonnen backs up all the talk and whips Silva's ass


man you can only hope for something more than the last 3 fights. i really like silva but would love to see him get some competition. and yes, freaking lose. he's better than that bullcrap we've been seeing.

Flipflat wrote: I love seeing Guida in the cage


i love him and he's one of my favorite fighters. i just wish he had some hands.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:42 pm
Location: kansas city
Favorite Disc: eagle

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby DsmDisc » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:30 pm

What a PPV! Hughes was awesome, the Struve comeback was fantastic, and Silva pulled one out at the last minute! This will go down in the books as one of the better UFC's of all time!
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
Eagle | Teebird | Firebird
Archon | Pro Wraith | Destroyer
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Des Moines
Favorite Disc: 06 Augusta Wraith

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby jubuttib » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:46 am

Flipflat wrote:Not sure about it being downhill since ufc 2, I think the quality of fights has gotten better since Dana White took over. The only good fights from that era were the Gracie Vs. Shamrock fights, IMHO. But you can't really compare now and then. One wonders how today's fighters would fare using the old school rules. Everyone is so built and well rounded training-wise.

I meant the rules have gone downhill. The fighters are definitely better on average.

It'd be interesting to see how they'd fare. I think the biggest thing for most of them would be the no time limit rule. If they brought that back, along with removing referee interference, I'd definitely start watching it again. Grappling when there are short rounds and the referee can break you apart is speed chess. Interesting, but a different skill set from the normal.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5445
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby Flipflat » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:57 am

I can't believe Silva won. Chale tore him apart over the course of 4 rounds and he still won. Unbelievable.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: Detroitish
Favorite Disc: buzzz

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby bill » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:05 pm

Flipflat wrote:I can't believe Silva won. Chale tore him apart over the course of 4 rounds and he still won. Unbelievable.



i was sad and i'm a silva fan. 5 rounds is a long time....
rematch



but at least guida won. he's such a bad little mofo. even after his fights you can tell he could go another 3 rounds.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:42 pm
Location: kansas city
Favorite Disc: eagle

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:31 pm

yeah Sonnen made Silva look like shit for 4 and a half rounds :| i really expected anderson to be able to defend the takedown a bit better than that, I guess Chael is is just that good though.......although im glad he didnt win, that guy is a douche
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby Flipflat » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:33 pm

bill wrote:
Flipflat wrote:I can't believe Silva won. Chale tore him apart over the course of 4 rounds and he still won. Unbelievable.



i was sad and i'm a silva fan. 5 rounds is a long time....
rematch



but at least guida won. he's such a bad little mofo. even after his fights you can tell he could go another 3 rounds.


Dude has tons of energy, one of my favorite fighters to watch. Sucks he's never been champ of his division. He's challenged but I don't think he's ever won it.

I also really liked the Hughes fight, that was a sweet choke he laid on that Brazilian guy.

Also, Jon Fitch was pretty awsome. Never really watched him before, now I'm a fan. I realize Alves wasn't at his best, but Fitch was still pretty impressive.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: Detroitish
Favorite Disc: buzzz

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby Flipflat » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:yeah Sonnen made Silva look like shit for 4 and a half rounds :| i really expected anderson to be able to defend the takedown a bit better than that, I guess Chael is is just that good though.......although im glad he didnt win, that guy is a douche


But he can say that he can back up his own shit talking. Pretty much everything came true except the part about retiring Silva :lol:

But I don't know about him being a douche. I was talking about his trash talking with some friends of mine, and we pretty much agree Dana White put him up to all the talk, trying to promote the fight and all. Most casual fight fans probably never heard of Chael before. But then again, he could just be a total douche bag.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: Detroitish
Favorite Disc: buzzz

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby Eric O » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:18 am

That was one of the best overall UFC cards I've seen in a while with the exception of Alves' performance. The talent pool is getting deep, the title fight was insane, and Hughes came out to make a huge statement that hardly anyone could have seen coming. Dos Santos is a beast, and Nelson and Silva are tough as nails. Local boy Sonnen did just enough to keep himself from looking like a complete ass after all the pre-fight hype. Halfway through the title fight, you knew Silva's winning strategy was going to have to be rooted in pulling off a sub from the bottom. I was watching closely to see if Silva would be able to lure Chael into enough of a false sense of security in top position to be able to get him to relax his defense. Honestly, by halfway through the 4th round I thought if Sonnen hadn't made the mistake of complacency by then, that he would be able to focus long enough to ride out the bell to safety and victory. I was in for a HUGE surprise!
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: UFC Fightnight

Postby Eric O » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:23 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:yeah Sonnen made Silva look like shit for 4 and a half rounds :| i really expected anderson to be able to defend the takedown a bit better than that, I guess Chael is is just that good though.......although im glad he didnt win, that guy is a douche
People have been able to take down Anderson SIlva. If memory serves I think Lutter and Hendo both did it. Problem is that his jits are so good that most people can't threaten from inside his guard. Sonnen's wrestling is pretty high level, so he was able to throw a little of everything from within Silva's guard. Too bad for him that he got caught in a Spider Web while trying to keep the pressure on.

If you want to see Silva get schooled by a WTF move, look up his fight from Pride with Ryo Chonan.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron