How often is the 2M rule in effect?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How often is the 2M rule in effect?

Postby emiller3 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 am

For you guys who play a lot of tourneys, is the 2M rule generally in effect? Does it vary by tiers, course layout, or anything else?
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: How often is the 2M rule in effect?

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:19 pm

If the TD wants to use it, it's in effect. It's up to them to decide.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby emiller3 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm looking more for a percentage of time that the TD decides to enforce it based on people's personal experiences.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby curt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:41 pm

somewhere between 30% and 50%. It seems to vary by TD (some of the old school TDs always use it) and the impression of the course. For example, it doesn't seem to be used on wide open courses or extremely tight courses.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby rusch_bag » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:46 pm

In wisconsin, I have only seen it at one TDs tournaments and that is Terry Miller.

Personally, I loved what AM Nats did with the two meter rule. They only have it applied on certain holes that have somewhat dangerous "cheater" routes. It really makes you think about going for it. I generally do not like the 2M rule as it basically comes down to luck if your disc gets stuck or not, but if you do it the am nats way and you actually have it for a specific purpose, I think it is a great rule.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Dig It » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:06 pm

I am going to say 70% of the tournies I have played are 2M in effect. All MHDGC ones (HPC, Fling, JRM) are 2M in effect while the ones that don't use 2M rule are put on by other clubs such as BadCo (Denver Classic) and I want to say the Foothills Fliers (States) didn't use the 2M rule as well. I am pretty torn on the whole issue of the 2M rule.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby emiller3 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:23 pm

Overhand drives seem to be considered almost cheating, whereas people seem to appreciate overhand get-out-of-trouble shots from the fairway. I don't get it. But I like the Am Nats approach, if there's a cheater route via overhand, it ought to carry a penalty with it if you get it stuck in the trees.

They did use the 2m rule at CO States from what I heard. I lost two Firebirds there the week after States taking overhand routes, one on a hole where I was circumventing the design of the hole (15), and the other on a hole where it could have happened just as easily had I thrown backhand (19). That's kind of what prompted my question. I had no problem taking a stroke on the first one, but taking a stroke on the second one felt cheap (plus I lost two discs in the process.)
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dig It » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Yep, you were right. They did use the 2M at States. I was thinking of the Wooden Basket fiasco. :o

It's a tough call on 2M rules. I think trees are a hazard no different from water and if you get into a hazard you should be punished. It sounds like you would advocate having the 2M rule be a kin to the mando rule where certain holes on a course will be subject to them while others are not. I want to find something wrong with that but I can't and it would possibly just be another tool a course designer can use to flesh out individual holes.

Now get up north and lets get a round in Eric. You could show me a thing or two I am sure and I need a thing or two because I just moved up to Advanced. D:
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:45 pm

emiller3 wrote:Overhand drives seem to be considered almost cheating, whereas people seem to appreciate overhand get-out-of-trouble shots from the fairway. I don't get it. But I like the Am Nats approach, if there's a cheater route via overhand, it ought to carry a penalty with it if you get it stuck in the trees.

That's bullshit. It's not right to punish a shot style, or call it cheating. Disc golf is NOT all played backhand nor should it be. This is the same thing as placing huge logs in a fairway where rollers could be used :roll: to prevent that shot. No one sets up a hole like that.....or blocks the chances for a backhand, it shouldn't be done for overhands either. If the shoe was put on the other foot (artificial lake placed in the way of the typical bh shot, but the o-h route was left alone), the masses would be shittin a brick.

BTW I hate the two meter rule like most NE disc golfers...there are a lot of trees up here to get stuck in backhand or overhand. Mandos suck too. Not ranting at you...I just think this rule sucks
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby emiller3 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:45 pm

To be clear, I wasn't stating that I think overhands are cheating, that's just my impression of what some people think when I throw overhand. There's still a lot of skill involved with being able to execute a long, accurate overhand, so if you got it, use it. I have a better than average overhand, and I use it. I'm one the one taking the heat for taking the "cheater routes."

But I do think that there are always one or two holes on a course that are just too easy with overhand routes, I'm fine with being penalized for getting stuck in a tree on those.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cjskier » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:20 pm

I'm going to say the 2 meter rule is in effect for our ace race, lol. Just for fun.
don't pretend you care what discs I throw
cjskier
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: beat ass banger GT

Postby rusch_bag » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:22 pm

They didn't have it at am nats strictly for overhands. It was more for big hyzers over the top of everything, but I guess if you can throw a thumber that far it was for you too then. They just didn't want people to go over the top without having some sort of risk.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:21 am

All the people around here who call people who overhand a lot cheaters are generally joking.

As for the 2m rule, it is not used around here very often.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:03 am

round here pretty much 100% of the time
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby Dig It » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:06 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:round here pretty much 100% of the time

How does that make you feel?
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Rules Discussion