Middle Finger, 2nd Knuckle Pain

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Middle Finger, 2nd Knuckle Pain

Postby n3tw0rkn3rd » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:45 am

Curious if anyone has any recommendations on this one. After a normal round I typically end up getting pain in the 2nd knuckle of my middle finger. My driving grip goes back and forth between Power Grip version 2 and Fan Grip (as seen in Blake's grip article). The pain will go away after a few days, or when I get a good solid popping on that middle knuckle. My assumption is that the stress put on it from the Power Grip is what is causing the pain, and I've considered just using fan grip (lose some distance, so I haven't done it yet), or possibly taping that knuckle so that my middle finger can't bend. I could still use power grip with the rest of my fingers and it would force that finger to not be a lock point.
n3tw0rkn3rd
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Roc

Re: Middle Finger, 2nd Knuckle Pain

Postby JR » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Taping helps a lot but let it heal. I'm on month erm three? now of index finger inner part.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby n3tw0rkn3rd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:45 am

Yeah it just comes back is the problem. It started last year and actually made me consider switching to throwing RHBH. I don't have the pain every round I play, but it's more often than not. I basically took the whole winter off because of weather and such, and it was fine for a few months and started hurting again maybe a month and a half ago.
n3tw0rkn3rd
Tree Magnet

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:36 am

Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it. Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.Ice it then stretch it.

Repeat as needed. This cures some conditions and seems to help most overuse problems.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby n3tw0rkn3rd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:55 am

So would you say emphasis on the icing... or the stretching... ;-)
n3tw0rkn3rd
Tree Magnet

Postby n3tw0rkn3rd » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:55 pm

Ok, so I finally figured out what was causing this. In my last round, I pulled out my Destroyer to throw it for a couple holes, and the first one that I threw it on I felt the problem. It appears that occasionally when throwing the destroyer, my pinky and ring fingers will slip off the rim, leaving me throwing with my middle and index. When this happens, I can REALLY feel the torque that gets put on my middle finger, and it pretty much instantly started hurting. It took me two of those throws that day to realize that this is what was causing the issue.

Previously when I had I hadn't really thought about it, only thinking that I had got a little better snap because I could feel it more. Fortunately that round I caught what happened. Miller's recommendation was to modify my grip a bit, allowing it to sit deeper in my hand and my fingers to get a bit more traction on the rim. I'll be trying this over the next few rounds. I know it's possible, as I don't always have pain when I throw the destroyer. If I continue having the pain though, I'll probably just end up dropping the destroyer, which is sad, as it's a great disc.
n3tw0rkn3rd
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:15 pm

i've just recently had the same thing happen to me (fingers slipping and torquing the bird). and I feels it deep in my hand under the base knuckle. I guess I need to hold an ice cube. man this hurts.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby keltik » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:12 pm

let's say I wanted to play leagues this week. would it be moronic to tape my middle and ring fingers together, take about 4 ibuprofen and just throw easy?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby n3tw0rkn3rd » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:03 pm

:) Good question. It seems like taping the middle finger to the ring finger would mess up grip a bit, did you try it? My thought was just taping the middle knuckle on the ring finger to force it straight out, which would take any torque off it and pretty much make you throw with a semi fan. I've been working on fixing my throws with the destroyer though so this doesn't happen anymore. It's been happening less and less, but I've not actually played all that much recently because of a new baby.
n3tw0rkn3rd
Tree Magnet

Postby mejlholm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:48 am

Should have discovered this thread yearlier. I've got the same problem and come to the same conclusion. Often when throwing a big one, my middle and index finger take all the torque. I've also been trying to change the grip a bit, but only to some extent (i seem to fall back into my old habit).

Let me know if you guys have any revelations :-)
PDGA | Bag | Drives

Wizard | Roc | Eagle-X | Sword | Giant
mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Smigles » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 am

A proper power grip is with all 5 fingers, anyway, so this may change your grip for good :)

I got this problem alot from playing Ultimate, the sidearms there realy put a LOT of stress on that exact nuckle. Never had it happening in Discgolf yet, hope it stays that way.
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury