Sciatic Nerve

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sciatic Nerve

Postby Discdude25 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:26 am

I've been having quite a bit of trouble with this over the past couple of weeks and it makes playing quite difficult. Any other disc golfers out there having this problem? How have you dealt with it and are there any suggestions you can make to help this situation heal or are there exercises that can be done to help relieve the pain? Any suggestions or advice you can give to help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Discdude25
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Roc

Re: Sciatic Nerve

Postby Flick4D » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:10 pm

Use a foam roller (myofascial release aka self-massage) on your glutes in a figure 4 position and IT band from your hip to knee. Mini band walks is a great exercise that will help, too. You should be able to find these on youtube, but any questions, send me a PM.
Flick4D
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Star Destroyer

Postby keltik » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:55 pm

I bought an inversion table. I think I've only gone completely inverted twice. usually I just put my feet 20-45° above level and cushion under my lumbar and it all stretches out. my back will also pop if things are really out of whack. I may also try what Flick is talking about too.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Discdude25 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:54 pm

I'll definately try these exercises. Thinking alot of my problem was dehydration also. I've begun drinking tons more water and it seems to be helping to alleviate the problem somewhat.
Discdude25
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Roc

Postby rehder » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Flick4D wrote:Use a foam roller (myofascial release aka self-massage) on your glutes in a figure 4 position and IT band from your hip to knee. Mini band walks is a great exercise that will help, too. You should be able to find these on youtube, but any questions, send me a PM.

+1 on foamrolling, it really works well

for foamrolling substitute for your feet, use a golfball
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:44 pm

I don't know anything about that nerve problem and haven't used foam rollers but I took a tip from weight lifters about using the side of the palm to rub the muscles up and down. It helps in getting the recovery going fast. I'm a bit fresher on the next day. It also helps in getting swelling down.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury