Rip Into Me

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Rip Into Me

Postby J-Bolt » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:58 am

Please dont hold back. This is a vid of me driving ~300 ft. Wasnt going for all out distance(my consistent golf D is around 330, I want it to be 400), wanted to get a shot of a 'normal' drive. Sorry for the subpar video. Disc is a teebird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FL5vB1hCt8

I notice that I might not be dropping my shoulder enough, and may not be getting enough late acceleration. My back leg should probably be doing something different, I am trying to move away from toe-dragging.

Thanks for any comments!
Last edited by J-Bolt on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J-Bolt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Vacant

Re: Rip Into Me

Postby peppermack » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:03 am

I am by no means an expert in this stuff but I can consistently hit 400' so here is my 2 cents. One thing that jumps out at me is that your arm speed through the whole pull is the same speed. There seem to be no late acceleration which is going to help the wrist really open and launch that disc at the end with a strong thumb/finger pivot. Remember that right at the end to get a strong hit you need to imagine you are snapping a towel. I really concentrate on coming through to my right peck with a really relaxed wrist and hand and then as I feel my wrist and forearm start to come through really accelerating as much as possible. My distance potential is massively different between concentrating and doing this right and not doing it. I am talking like 50' or more. It has not become a muscle memory thing for me yet and I really have to focus on that.
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby peppermack » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:04 am

Try speeding up that last step of your X step too.
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby J-Bolt » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:34 am

Thanks PM! My snap has gotten better lately and I felt like my late acceleration was getting better. It's funny how things look differently than how they feel. I am sure there's a joke in there somewhere.
J-Bolt
Tree Magnet

Postby peppermack » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:58 am

J-Bolt wrote:Thanks PM! My snap has gotten better lately and I felt like my late acceleration was getting better. It's funny how things look differently than how they feel. I am sure there's a joke in there somewhere.

:lol:

but ya, the way things feel and the way they look to others is really different. Often I fuck up a throw and it felt fine, but the person that was there with me can pick out some little thing that made it go bonkers. Also, if you watch your follow through, both your leg and arm, are not moving very fast and snapping around to make you pivot hard, that is a sign that the needed acceleration is not there at the end. I have that same problem a lot of the time as well.
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby JR » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:27 am

You're not twisting your hips to the right of your knees AKA neutral position. If you pushed the elbow farther toward the target with the disc in the right pec position chest 90 degrees left of the target you'd get a more powerful snap and more distance.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Bend that elbow! Your arm looks real stiff the whole time. Try to poke out the eyes of the basket with your elbow just prior to releasing your forearm to go into the hit.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby J-Bolt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:32 am

Thank you so much, I was working on getting my elbow out and bent and I was gaining instant D. I will have to read up on the "twisting your hips to the right of your knees". My follow-up videos may take some time, as I have a broken paw. Guess it's time to learn to throw lefty. Thanks again.
J-Bolt
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:45 am

There's nothing much more to read it is what you quoted. The chest has to point farther right than the hips and the line between the shoulders even farther right than the chest. I think you need to have this already at the disc release not just the follow through. Achieving this at the rip means that you're pulling back on the disc as the disc is bouncing from the palm into the pivot making the pivot faster=snapping harder.

Hope you heal fully. Maybe it's time to keep a winter break if the injury is severe so that you're back in full force come spring.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique