The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Postby masterbeato » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:24 pm

your not getting the recoil because your not accelerating. i notice that when i do sidearm.

fluid, and snap like your muscles tighten up at the very end after your loose coming down. like when you get a random muscle twitch.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:27 pm

Something is popping in my thumb when I try to do this and it hurts. I fail.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby matchu » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:44 pm

masterbeato wrote:your not getting the recoil because your not accelerating. i notice that when i do sidearm.

fluid, and snap like your muscles tighten up at the very end after your loose coming down. like when you get a random muscle twitch.

I have random muscle twitch down! call it epilepsy hee hee haa haa
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Taotefling » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:28 pm

masterbeato wrote:your not getting the recoil because your not accelerating. i notice that when i do sidearm.

Dan - Thanks much for the input. I was trying this some more tonight and looking over some addt'l instructions that Blake has given out, and I think my main problem was pounding the hammer too far left of my body. After I moved the target just slightly left of my body, I started getting recoil. Will keep working on this. Thanks again.
Tao Te Fling believes "Man's got to know his limitations."
Taotefling
Noob

Favorite Disc: we'll see

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:53 pm

for the recoil feeling...

try throwing a right jab (punch) towards an imaginary target with a tense fist, wrist and forearm.

now try it this way... relax your arm, let your wrist relax and don't clench a fist. in a fluid motion move your relaxed arm/hand/wrist towards the imaginary target. when you reach the target "snap" into a fist and swiftly pull back to your starting point.

all of this stuff (disc golf, hammering, and punching) requires you have a defined stopping point. you need the stopping point to trigger the levers, accelerate, and deliver force. it is only by working around said stopping point that the recoil happens.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:53 pm

and yah, it was me in the videos.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby goalkeeper19 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:29 am

had a little bit of a breakthrough last night with mid-range practice. I usually can only throw putters 240-250, and last night I got several out to 300'. Also my Roc shots usually dead-end at 280-300, and last night I had one throw that flew over a 7' fence (by 5 feet) that was 300' away! I'm starting to feel the hammer, and all of the throws that I felt the hammer on went dead straight with very little fade. I'm going to get out again tonight and try to replicate that feeling some more with the midranges before I try drivers.

If I'm getting the feeling down with putters/midranges, what difference should I expect when transitioning to fairway/distance drivers?
goalkeeper19
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:22 am

goalkeeper19 wrote:had a little bit of a breakthrough last night with mid-range practice. I usually can only throw putters 240-250, and last night I got several out to 300'. Also my Roc shots usually dead-end at 280-300, and last night I had one throw that flew over a 7' fence (by 5 feet) that was 300' away! I'm starting to feel the hammer, and all of the throws that I felt the hammer on went dead straight with very little fade. I'm going to get out again tonight and try to replicate that feeling some more with the midranges before I try drivers.

If I'm getting the feeling down with putters/midranges, what difference should I expect when transitioning to fairway/distance drivers?

I would say start with the fairway drivers. You will get a better grip on them. Also keep in mind that when you go to the "drivers" don't forget to relax and don't try to throw far. Sometimes I think it is more of a mental game when one goes from mids to drivers. Anyways when going to the drivers try to get the same feel as you did with the mids.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby seabas22 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:54 am

Can someone youtube the vids? I can't unzip the file on my mac.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby USAnarchy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:01 am

seabas22 wrote:Can someone youtube the vids? I can't unzip the file on my mac.

I can do you one better:

Use a program freely availalbe called Stuffit.

Info:
http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/
Download:
http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/download.html

Have fun unzipping on your Mac.
Accuracy is Slow. Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast. Fast is Far.
The Less Effort, The Faster and More Powerful You Will Be - Bruce Lee
Know What You Throw. Throw What You Know.
It's Not A Routine If You Have To Think About It.
-=| Click Here To See What's Currently In My Bag |=-
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:32 am

seabas22 wrote:Can someone youtube the vids? I can't unzip the file on my mac.

Mac fail.

No problem for me :)
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby patdabunny » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:50 am

Your help did work, Blake. Thanks.

It's weird. I must be getting it somewhere, as I was practicing with my TBs last night and was getting them average about 450' with some good ones out to 490'. I really think I can get much more power if I 1) Use my index finger as more of the pivot point (I'm having REAL problems with this) and; 2) Get the hammer pound more into my throws. The second I just need to practice more. I think I do it some, but not always.

Are there any threads about how to make your index finger the main rip point? It feels that my stacked ring/pinky combo are the main thing holding the disc in which I think is robbing me of some power...a link is all I need if anyone knows of it. Thanks.

Daniel
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JHern » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:11 am

patdabunny wrote:...1) Use my index finger as more of the pivot point (I'm having REAL problems with this)...Are there any threads about how to make your index finger the main rip point? It feels that my stacked ring/pinky combo are the main thing holding the disc in which I think is robbing me of some power...a link is all I need if anyone knows of it. Thanks.

I think this is important, and was behind my most recent distance/accuracy gains. I didn't get this feeling until I started to do some right pec drills with just my index and middle finger under the rim, purposefully going for that feeling of the disc pivoting and flinging off these fingers. You might try some low speed drills first, until you get the feeling, and then try to ramp up slowly in power. I did this for a while and now I don't have any trouble getting the disc to pivot and rip from these fingers. I put my pinky/ring fingers under the rim now, but they are only there to help orient the disc; as soon as I'm going into the hit they are gripping very loosely and slide off without much fanfare.

But I do have another problem that keeps cropping up, and the super sekret technique drills are revealing it to me very clearly now: I channel too much energy going into the hit, and the inner rim of the disc is popping off my rip fingers, rather than pivoting and getting a smooth "drive the hammer" feel. Last night when I focused on slowing down a bit more I was getting better results (Teebird and Wraith up to 350', Katana to 380'-ish).

I'm still working on these drills, so maybe too soon to report progress, per se. My forehand has not yet improved with this drill, but after doing the drill I see that I have some bad habits to eliminate with this throwing style, too.

Blake, I think this is going to be a big hit for me, because it is helping me to find all sorts of trouble spots in my throw. I just need to drill some more, and I think I'll be in the 400'+ club soon.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:20 am

Why on earth would you want a single finger as the crux of all your snap? It can't possibly handle it. Stacked ring and middle fingers on the pinky make for such a stronger resistance to the disc pulling out it would be counter productive to try and put more emphasis on the index finger. I explored doing this the first half of this summer, it is futile.

I have no doubt at this point that I fully understand the concept of "snap". I am just still at the point where my body doesn't inherently "know" how to reproduce it. The biggest concept helper was pre-empting my grip. Gripping hard before the momentum of the disc was too much for my weak fingers to respond to. i.e. "slip"
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby USAnarchy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:27 am

Hey Pat, If you start working with this enough you will start to find that you can start to feel the disc trying to come out of your hand and pivot around your index finger. When it does this, you should start to feel it trying to rip your pinky and ring finger off the disc.

When you get a good "Feel" for that sensation, start trying to pull the disc back into your hand and grip it tightly at that point instead of allowing it to come out of your hand. That is where you can really start to get some good snap on a disc.

Want to practice the pivot? Do the flip back exercise but only use your index finger and thumb. then as you get more and more use to that sensation, start to incorporate one finger at a time until you can perform the flip back with your normal grip.
Accuracy is Slow. Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast. Fast is Far.
The Less Effort, The Faster and More Powerful You Will Be - Bruce Lee
Know What You Throw. Throw What You Know.
It's Not A Routine If You Have To Think About It.
-=| Click Here To See What's Currently In My Bag |=-
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Technique