The River

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The River

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:41 am

Elevation doesn't affect how one disc flies at elevation compared to another another flown at elevation. Mine (yellow Z 172) flew like a champ teebird, unless thrown with anny, then it flew like a cheetah or something. My buddies only a hair less stable. It wasn't piggish like a banshee or whippet. Just more stable than I expected. I suppose I was hoping for a disc that flew like my XL's but was magically better. I may try them again, as I was not finding them to be any shorter than my XL's or other control drivers. They just were not flying well with the gentle touch I like putting on a control driver.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby elnino » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:50 pm

threw the rivers a few more times today and i'm really beginning to love these things. wow...

can't believe i'm turning into a swedish fanboi!!!! next thing you know i'll be drinking aqua vit!
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Postby DPJ88 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:36 pm

Your tellin' me, man. I agree.

I threw old Lat Plastic like the Primitus and original Medius.

I liked the Primitus some. Medius was terrible. Got an opto striker and it was abnormally stable (and probably would have never pulled me away from my Eagles anyway) But it feels amazing in my hand and I still love to fondle it and throw it in the field.

Have a Opto Chameleon sparkle Vision. Didn't make the bag, mostly because I don't want to lose it. but it sparkles something real puuurrrty and is a hell of a fun disc to hyzer-flip in a field. It just bombs.

Then I hit the River and it instantly replaced 4 year veteran discs of my bag (Z Xpresses) It is longer, more stable, less finicky, and still hits those long annies that I loved my Xpress for.

I got a GL Fuse and I can not say that it has won me over entirely... My grip feels odd on that disc. That said, I like its flight and I love Lat's plastic (Opto is far and away my favorite plastic to fondle and Gold Line is great too!)

I have yet to try an XXX, but its on my list of things to do. I do love my preds though, and I know the XXX is more firebird-ish, right?

Also want to try a Halo and Riot just for kicks.

Long story short: I love Latitude even though I only throw a couple of their molds. I love their plastics and I can't wait to see what they come out with next.

[edit]: and because this is a River thread:

I love the River. I love the River. I love the River. It has saved me strokes and I already have a ton of confidence in this disc.
Pred - Orc - EagleX - River - Wasp - Buzzz - Fuse - Challenger
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby billnchristy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:14 am

Seemed to be kind of a mix between a gazelle and leopard. Not quite a cheetah though.

Pro leo and Opto river are my wifes go-to drivers.
Stalker-Gazelle-Gator-Demon-Sinus AP-Spike-VP
billnchristy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Sinus AP

Postby Ryan C » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Since I was posting here, I actually took the River out of my bag and put back in my ESP cyclones.

The cyclones aren't as long, but its just a fairway driver slot, afterall. The River may really work well for some people, but I find that their glide and stability make them a little bit irrelevant in my general purpose fairway driver spot. They are almost as long as my distance drivers, and the flip is sort of hard to control for me. If you don't throw them hard enough, they just go straight, with a little bit more power, they don't seem to just turn a little, but rather they do a largish S in the air. Its a balance I don't care to throw lots of bad shots trying to figure out. I loved cyclones from throw #1.

I'm am not calling it a bad disc, but not quite something that makes sense for me to carry.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby money 21 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:10 pm

I was going trough some disc that I am looking at trading and pulled out a zxs that I have had for a couple years and threw it a long side my river. Te river is 171 and the xs is 163 but they were hitting the same lines and landing damn near on top of eacher other 300' down the fairway. After the round I traded the river to a friend for a champ eagle and a z talon and put the xs in my bag where the river had been. The river is a good disc.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Ryan C » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:37 pm

money 21 wrote:I was going trough some disc that I am looking at trading and pulled out a zxs that I have had for a couple years and threw it a long side my river. Te river is 171 and the xs is 163 but they were hitting the same lines and landing damn near on top of eacher other 300' down the fairway. After the round I traded the river to a friend for a champ eagle and a z talon and put the xs in my bag where the river had been. The river is a good disc.

Don't you mean, the XS is a good disc? I actually like them. Think they are a little underrated.
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Ryan C wrote:
money 21 wrote:I was going trough some disc that I am looking at trading and pulled out a zxs that I have had for a couple years and threw it a long side my river. Te river is 171 and the xs is 163 but they were hitting the same lines and landing damn near on top of eacher other 300' down the fairway. After the round I traded the river to a friend for a champ eagle and a z talon and put the xs in my bag where the river had been. The river is a good disc.

Don't you mean, the XS is a good disc? I actually like them. Think they are a little underrated.

I like the z xs but not the x xs. the z xs is stable enough to pull out of a turn for me. The x and the z in this mold are very different.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Ryan C » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:22 pm

Very true. I have an X XS that is almost an auto-roller. You can't even hyzer flip it enough to make it not turn into a roller.
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby what'shisname » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:11 pm

I got a GL 170 in today and carried it with me for a quick 9 holes at lunch. I threw it back to back with my CEJLS for a comparison and it was pretty much the same flight on 3 of the 4 holes that I actually got to throw a driver on. Misfired on one of them and hit a tree, but other than that they flew the same as the JLS.

It'll have to battle pretty hard to knock the JLS's out of there, but it looks like a promising disc for sure and I'm looking forward to some more testing.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Ryan C » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:44 pm

In my experience, which has only been a handful of JLS throws, the JLS was quite a bit more flippy than either of my opto Rivers are.
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby what'shisname » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Ryan C wrote:In my experience, which has only been a handful of JLS throws, the JLS was quite a bit more flippy than either of my opto Rivers are.

what kind of plastic was the JLS that you were throwing? The base plastic gets very flippy. The GL River I was throwing today was quite a bit more stable than I was expecting actually.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Postby what'shisname » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:35 pm

Well, I lost the last river I had but now have a new Opto and GL. I threw them quite a bit last night and am definitely loving how they fly. Like I said before, they're a lot like my JLS but on the same throw they net me more distance very easily. In fact last night I got my longest ever drive, around 400' with one while warming up for dubs.

I can see how they might overlap a bit with my P-PD, but they're a little more understable for me than those and I'm pretty sure I'd use them in different spots for the most part. Definitely don't overlap with my S or C PD's though. I'm going to take the JLS's out for a bit and give these things a good run.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:57 pm

I love my Rivers and like what'shisname, I got my longest measured shot ever with one. But one thing I'm finding is that for me they are more flippy than my Visions. So for me it is a matter of hitting the right angle of hyzer and getting a clean motion without too much OAT. That's where my inconsistency is coming in with it right now. But the flippiness helps some when I throw stand still powered down shots for fairway approaches. On those shots, my Rivers have been easier to get to fly on the lines I'm wanting. But I'm always loving the glide on them. As long as I don't turn it into the ground early, it just goes.
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Postby what'shisname » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Heh... I haven't found them anywhere near as flippy as my Visions. I haven't thrown my Visions in a while, but for me they were way more understable than these rivers.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment