The River

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The River

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:58 pm

I have slept with some of my Rivers. It made the others jealous, but the special ones love me now.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby jnecessary » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:12 am

GLIIIIIIIIIIIIDE
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby RS39 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:35 am

I know the stability difference in Opto/GL Fuses is tiny (have 5 in o/gl) .
Any real extra stability in Opto Rivers?

My GL River is a good disc, just blows around a bit more than I prefer when wind kicks up. However, for the glide, I'm not whining...

It gets good play on calm days where I want fairly max D or straight finishes, but do not want to risk teeing my perfectly seasoned P-PD into trees.
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby turso » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:24 am

I have a GL river at 171g that was quite stable at the beginning, now it's turning over pretty nicely. Had an opto that was easier to turn and with slightly less fade off the shelf.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby Dag » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:18 am

I've been carrying two Rivers in my normal bag of ten discs, a 167g Opto for touch shots and a 177g GL for power shots. This past weekend I lost the Opto in practice for a tourney so replaced it out with a 167g GL. The Opto came back to me at the start of the second round so I was carrying all three Rivers with me. I liked it, using the 167g GL for right oriented throws and the 177g GL for left oriented throws (RHBH).
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby what'shisname » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:20 am

Dag wrote:I've been carrying two Rivers in my normal bag of ten discs, a 167g Opto for touch shots and a 177g GL for power shots. This past weekend I lost the Opto in practice for a tourney so replaced it out with a 167g GL. The Opto came back to me at the start of the second round so I was carrying all three Rivers with me. I liked it, using the 167g GL for right oriented throws and the 177g GL for left oriented throws (RHBH).

I really want to try a heavier one out to see the difference. I've got a 168 Opto and a 171 Gl and they're both pretty similar. I bet the 177 is more stable though.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:54 am

I hit the most beautiful line with my River last night, carded the deuce on a (roughly) 400' hole through a narrow alley. It was a thing of beauty. Favorite driver ever.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby koffee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:18 am

I played a round last night and was using two opto rivers both pink and their weights are 175g and 165g. I put the 175g river down a tunnel shot 300 feet .That was a fun shot as it just kept gliding. I agree that it will probably get blown around a bit in the wind with that kind of glide. With the 165g I tried using it as turn over disc and it seemed to do a decent job for those low ceiling turnover shots.

I am looking to see if they can replace my cyclone as I seem to really like the D plastic in them and at my course I go through these like water with the rocks and hardpan soil. So it would be nice if the River along with the PD could bridge that slot. It would be nice to have a disc in a more resilient plastic there.

CHEERS - Koffee
koffee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:21 pm

what'shisname wrote:
Dag wrote:I've been carrying two Rivers in my normal bag of ten discs, a 167g Opto for touch shots and a 177g GL for power shots. This past weekend I lost the Opto in practice for a tourney so replaced it out with a 167g GL. The Opto came back to me at the start of the second round so I was carrying all three Rivers with me. I liked it, using the 167g GL for right oriented throws and the 177g GL for left oriented throws (RHBH).

I really want to try a heavier one out to see the difference. I've got a 168 Opto and a 171 Gl and they're both pretty similar. I bet the 177 is more stable though.

I have a 171 Opto River and had a 163 GL River (lost it about a week ago; hoping someone from Dayton, OH will eventually find and return it to me). They both appeared to fly exactly the same. I'd be curious to try out a 175 or higher in both plastics to see how they fly by comparison. I'd love a little more stability without giving up any glide.
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Postby bill » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:19 pm

i agree. my 166 opto is not a flipper but it's hard to call it stable any more. any real snap and it's turning well, not flipping over but turning. i'd really like a max weight opto.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby elnino » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:40 am

i fell for the river and then felt like i needed something more unstable that i could use as a roller too so i went with a roadrunner. Also the Lat64 promise of a bright color just crushed me so i have my yellow opto river 172 throw maybe one round. 9/10 so anybody not want an XXX pm me. first river lover with an extra bright GL or opto XXX gets it.
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Postby eg37167 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:33 am

I finally broke down and tried the River yesterday. Mine was 165 Goldline Orange. At first I was not impressed. After about a half dozen throws I got the hang of it. On the last 5 poles I was a convert. I exceeded my best score on the last three holes (where I often get my worst scores) by at least 6 strokes-- hole 18 is a long downhill that curves to the right that really aggravates me and I often skip it. Parred that hole for the first time ever!
eg37167
Tree Magnet

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:46 pm

I tried out a 173g and 178g GL River yesterday and they were very nice. A little more stable than my 171g Opto that I've been using, which is what I hoped to see. What's the heaviest weight they make in Opto? I've seen a 176g on DGC. I wonder if the Optos can go up to 178g or more like the GL. I think the heavier Rivers are more controlable.
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Postby turso » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:19 pm

ForeverBlue232 wrote:I tried out a 173g and 178g GL River yesterday and they were very nice. A little more stable than my 171g Opto that I've been using, which is what I hoped to see. What's the heaviest weight they make in Opto? I've seen a 176g on DGC. I wonder if the Optos can go up to 178g or more like the GL. I think the heavier Rivers are more controlable.

I have a 177g Blue Opto, and it's less stable than my 171g Blue GL or my 171g Pink Opto. Not by much, but it's noticeable.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby discspeed » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:07 pm

I finally got to take the River out for a round (opto, 172, yellow, moderately domey). I was very impressed. I want to throw it some more, but tentatively I can say that it is the disc that I always wished the Stalker had been. It flies on Stalkeresque lines (with a little less HSS and a little more LSS), but does it with a fraction of the effort and has considerably more range due to it's remarkable glide. Despite being slower than my P-PD, it seemed to have the same range. It didn't lock onto laser beams like a P-PD, but it was also more forgiving of a less than perfect release or aim. My P-PD flew better on lower lines, but the fact that it is 3 grams heavier may have a lot to do with that. Once I played with my River a bit I was getting really low flights out of it without issue, but I had to use more hyzer than with the P-PD. Thanks to Jeronimo for the River...The chances of it ending up in my bag seem very high right now. I can't wait until the 2nd run and a huge order to pick through at CDGS!
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment