Another driving form update

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Another driving form update

Postby DsmDisc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:23 pm

I took these vids on a pitch & putt course in Des Moines (Crivaro Park if your curious). I'm posting these mainly as an update, I can pretty clearly see the two big things I'm doing wrong (WAY too large of a last step giving me weight-back problems, not getting the disc into the right pec before releasing my elbow.) You'll notice the first drive I had my pullback too low (I think), which was a big problem for me in my previous videos), and I tried to adjust that for the rest of the throws. If you have any additional tips, let em fly!

/*
obligatory self esteem boost
The drive at :25 was 6" low from being my first ace!
obligatory self esteem boost */

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PogpIRP-868
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
Eagle | Teebird | Firebird
Archon | Pro Wraith | Destroyer
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 06 Augusta Wraith

Re: Another driving form update

Postby JR » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:53 am

Were you trying to anny so often? You were tilted to right often because of the plant step placement. You really should try getting the elbow much closer to the target before chopping the elbow straight.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby DsmDisc » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:13 am

Well, the friends that taught me how to play are not 'students of form.' their distance comes from throwing overstable discs with a big anhyzer to get a big s-curve. I picked up the tendency to step too far forward and in front of my body early on and have been trying to break it ever since. As you can see I haven't gotten out of the habit yet.

As for pulling through further, I'm improving slowly there. My first vids my arm basically does not come forward at all, so getting it into the left pec is an improvement for me. Rest assured I will continue to work on those two points. I'm not naturally athletic so my learning curve is slower than some.
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Postby DsmDisc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Finally making some progress! After struggling mightily with the 'pound the hammer' drills, I'm actually starting to put the pieces together. I've got my limp-armed reach-back, and a strong snap at the end. The part I had been missing was my body movement. Taking smaller steps like JR suggested on previous threads and getting rid of my anny foot placement helped get my weight forward, nose down, and timing worked out. Hole 10 at Ewing in des moines (little over 600' to the basket downhill) I had the longest drive of my life, about 550' per google maps. This is easily 150' beyond where i've ever seen my normal disc-mates throw on this hole! Other holes that were flatter had drives in the 350-375' range, which is a more than a 50' increase for me.

I'll get out to a field and get some new vids to show the improvement! thanks for all the tips!
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Cool! Congratulations :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby DsmDisc » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Got another vid. The progress I mentioned before has continued, but in the interest of accuracy i've slowed myself down quite a bit. This has helped a bunch in getting the timing right, and being able to throw more lines than just a flex shot. I'm still crushing it on wide open holes and going full speed, but on anything with obstacles, I'm taking smaller, slower steps. I noticed I'm not getting the disc into the right pec yet, but my accuracy has improved steadily. Thought I would throw this vid up as a little update.

The hole is on a little pitch&putt 9-hole in Des Moines (Crivaro park if your from the area.) The hole is barely 300', possibly a touch more. I pulled out my teebird and put a bit of anny on it hoping to flex around a tree. I dropped about 15-20' short and right. Let me know what you see.

KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Postby zj1002 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Couple of things and they all go together.

Shorten your reach back:
-it will feel very weird at first but it is beneficial
-a shorter reach compacts the throw. your body doesn't use as much energy and can explode
-one of the most compact and powerful throwers is Steven Brinster. I always enjoy watching videos of his style. Try to find some youtube videos of him so you see how having a compact throw can create accuracy and power.

Your shoulders rotate too fast:
-at this stage of your throw because of you longer reach back, the disc only reaches your left pec.
-once it hits your left pec, you are whipping your shoulders around
-delay your shoulder rotation and start the acceleration on your pull at your left pec
-example: check out this picture of Dave Feldberg
I watched him throw this in person. The fairway is straight off his right shoulder. Notice how the disc is out in front of his right pec and his shoulders haven't rotated through yet. He also started all of it with his left foot that places his hips into a position that can create more power. the disc has pivoted out of his palm and is going around his index/thumb lock

You have a good start. You don't have a "tee-rex arm" as I call it. What I mean is that you keep your elbow up rather than tucked in like most people who are learning. I think if you work on making the end of your throw more powerful, you will see some really good results. You can easily add 100ft to your throw with the base fundamentals you already have. Your throw is smooth but lacks "power" at the end. Delay the shoulder rotation and get that disc into the right pec area(it doesn't need to touch the pec, look at feldberg). I could add more but start with fixing these things first. The hit is the most important aspect to build
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby DsmDisc » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:44 pm

You're right about the shorter reach back feeling odd. That's something I've tried before and was uncomfortable with. That said, I will definitely give it another try. My longer pullback has become kind of a crutch for accuracy, I feel like if I reach straight back down my target line I can hit it better. Of course, my accuracy is substandard, so you may be on to something. I'll keep working at that and get some field work video (if I can talk mt lady into going to a field instead of playing rounds!)

I checked out some footage of brinster and he does have a unique form. Very interesting that he gets that power with almost no reach back.

Once I get about another consistent accurate 100' on my drives I really need some work on my approaches, they are very poor and kill my scores. Buddies that drive 100' shorter than me routinely beat me due to my poor midrange game ( aside from the nice gradual anny approaches. The fuse is miraculous for those. )
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Postby zj1002 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:06 pm

I developed my power by focusing on my midrange/putter game. Now I am not saying drop your drivers, because if you don't learn how to drive nose down with a driver it will take even longer(I took that path and it sucked). Play some rounds with your putter/midrange only but make sure you are getting nose down(you need to see the back end of the disc, not the top of it). A year ago I couldn't throw a disc without using a run up, now it is a strong suit. Developing all of this especially by working on your approach game will make everything in general better.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby MDP » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:22 am

DsmDisc wrote:You're right about the shorter reach back feeling odd. That's something I've tried before and was uncomfortable with. That said, I will definitely give it another try. My longer pullback has become kind of a crutch for accuracy, I feel like if I reach straight back down my target line I can hit it better. Of course, my accuracy is substandard, so you may be on to something. I'll keep working at that and get some field work video (if I can talk mt lady into going to a field instead of playing rounds!)

I checked out some footage of brinster and he does have a unique form. Very interesting that he gets that power with almost no reach back.

Once I get about another consistent accurate 100' on my drives I really need some work on my approaches, they are very poor and kill my scores. Buddies that drive 100' shorter than me routinely beat me due to my poor midrange game ( aside from the nice gradual anny approaches. The fuse is miraculous for those. )

Nice to see another Iowa guy on here :) I live in Indianola and play a lot at Pickard. But I've played at both courses you've mentioned. Every time I play at Ewing I'm tempted to empty my bag on #10...

Brinster's form is fairly unique so I wouldn't necessarily pick him to emulate.

While your reach back may be a bit long in terms of how far you're reaching back, I think it's also 'long' in how much time it's taking up in your throw. And this may be why you're 'pulling' before you get into the 'power zone' (right pec). You have the disc out behind you for so long it probably feels awkward to wait even more before the 'pull.'

Something you can try is to delay your reach back until you plant your left foot (the x-step). During the first step with the right foot, a lot of people sort of swing the disc out in front of them and get this kind of sling shot effect to the reach back.

Here's a video of Feldberg that shows both the slingshot and the reach back on the left foot:

The final thing, as others have mentioned, is to focus on accelerating (not just going "fast") at the end. You have a nice smooth throw right now, and you just want to accelerate right at the end to get that nice hit. There's a kind of chain reaction that happens hips -> chest -> shoulder -> elbow -> wrist -> disc and you want everything to open towards the target in that order. It's not something you can really force, but delaying your reach back might help everything line up for you.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Return to Video Critique