Painting Dye

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Painting Dye

Postby jnecessary » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:25 pm

So I'm going to design a small (think the mini star stamp on first run Innova discs) sized logo for my discs. Just looking for something that is dyed on and impossible to remove.

I'll probably have dgdave cut out several sheets of these. But so cut costs I'd like to have several cut across a sheet of vinyl and was thinking I will just paint on the ink to avoid having to cover the disc and dip it and such.

Looking for suggestions from people that have dabbled in painting on designs with stencils and dye. Is there a certain way to mix it and whatnot in order to ensure a nice dark black or solid color of choice? I would probably be doing this on all of my plastic and figure I could do a dozen or so discs quickly like this

Thanks in advance!
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Painting Dye

Postby lefty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:40 am

I do small dyes most of the time and paint for the reason you said. Quicker, easier, cheeper. With liq. RIT, I use about a 4:1 Rit to acetone for one color dyes. my mix varies some depending the the vinal used, because the acetone will eat the glue away and cause bleeds. At the same time, this mix dosent take very long to take hold so the problem is not really a worry. I'm sure dgdave has good vinal so shouldnt be a worry, but I'd do a test run on a "test" disc. hope this helps...........lefty
the one thing we need is a left-hand monkey wrench
lefty
Noob

Favorite Disc: roc-a-buzz

Postby Booter » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:44 am

I'm sure others will hime in but I think most mix rit,dish soap for a thick mix to brush on
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby jnecessary » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:59 am

booter wrote:I'm sure others will hime in but I think most mix rit,dish soap for a thick mix to brush on

This would eliminate the need for acetone right?
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Booter » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:15 am

I think so. I wanna say chuck uses a sopy rit mix and that's it and just lets it sit for a while. I believe that's how the spin dyes are done as well. Acetone is just going to accelerate the penetration of the dye to the plastic. Everybody has different mix's but I would ask chuck since he paints alot of his dyes on as well.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby forker » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:34 pm

For spin dyes, I found laundry soap and acetone a good thick mix, thicker than dish soap. Add acetone to the rit until the consitency of mud and top off with soap. Mix well and then let it sit for a day or two. Yeild 8 oz.

After applying, let it set for DAYS.
forker
Noob

Favorite Disc: Yes

Postby eky8 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:15 pm

I have only painted one at this point. But I used liquid laundry detergent and rit. I was mixing colors from the rit color chart, so I used the color amounts of the chart with 1/2 cup laundry detergent. Then let it sit for 4 or 5 days. Worked very well. But not nearly as fast as floating in hot water. Works exceptionally well for mixing or blending colors. Also I believe this is what people are using for spin dyes.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby jnecessary » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:03 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking avoiding acetone would be best for avoiding the dye spreading quickly through the plastic. Sometime during the winter I could do a ton of them and let em sit a week with no issues.
--My PDGA--My Trade List
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby mzuleger » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:13 pm

Rit and dish soap (Dawn makes clear soap which makes it easy to tell what color you're working with).... paint it on and leave it in the sun for a while... or throw it in the mic for 10-15 seconds at a time.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby Pwingles » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:20 pm

how does the microwaving affect the previous shape of the disc/domeiness etc?

Do you just put it in flat, with the dome up, or set it in a bowl upside down?

Also how many runs in the Mic does this take and how long between nukings if it takes multiples?

thanks in advance
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby mzuleger » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:10 pm

Roc Lover wrote:how does the microwaving affect the previous shape of the disc/domeiness etc?

Do you just put it in flat, with the dome up, or set it in a bowl upside down?

Also how many runs in the Mic does this take and how long between nukings if it takes multiples?

thanks in advance

As long as you only do 10 sec or so at a time it shouldn't get hot enough to affect the shape, you just want to warm it up enough to open the pores a little (same principal as using hot water when dipping).

I put it in dome up.

I only ran it through a couple times, with minimal wait between... just make sure the disc doesn't get too hot. experiment a little with it
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Return to Disc Artwork