Measuring par.

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Measuring par.

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:57 pm

HSA is our Hyland Ski Area course here in the Twin Cities. HSA isn't really needed as a term since the ratings graph shows what rating any round on any SSA course will receive. It's just not yet posted on PDGA.com again.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:HSA is our Hyland Ski Area course here in the Twin Cities. HSA isn't really needed as a term since the ratings graph shows what rating any round on any SSA course will receive. It's just not yet posted on PDGA.com again.

:lol: Need has nothing to do with it. It amuses me. :twisted:
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby sunspot » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:53 pm

Is it basically up to the TD to set par for a tournament? Say I'm hovering in the 900 rating and I come to a hole that should be par 4 by the PDGA standards but the tee sign has it set to a par 3, should it count as a stroke if I shot a 4 instead of a 3?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby JHern » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:31 am

Jim Oates was saying that to be a true par 3 there had to be a possibility for a skilled player to deuce at least some of the time. Makes sense. He avoids setting up basket positions at tournaments to avoid setting a true par 4 at 3.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby thuracine187 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:48 am

It all comes down to fewest shots taken. Par just makes you feel better about your round. Soon people will want a handicap.
thuracine187
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Orc

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:52 am

Follow the Masters and tell me par doesn't matter. That's how you tell how well players are doing when each player has played a different number of holes so far. We don't have much live scoring in DG at this point but par is part of the public perception for the legitimacy of a sport. It also comes into play when comparing scores from different courses, especially like the BG Ams event this weekend where four Advanced pools are playing different courses.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smigles » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:03 am

I was under the impression that par should be in such a way that you birdie if you make nothing but good shots on a hole. Not superb shots ( ace... ) but good shots that should be rewarded.

In that light i can not understand any par 2's. You would have to ace for a birdie. That may be ok for holes that arent more than a wide put, but 60 meters is far more than a wide put.
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Previous

Return to Rules Discussion