Mah bag, let me show you it

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Mah bag, let me show you it

Postby jubuttib » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:42 am

Me too, a beat destroyer is the fastest disc I can throw and still get something useful and reliable out of it. The speed 13+ discs are way too inconsistent to use with my power.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby jubuttib » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:12 pm

Huzzah, I my mids are working again. Tried to remember what I did before when I had no problems with gripping and throwing them, remembered that I used a different grip, tried it again, problem solved. I used to grip all discs hooking the rim with the 2nd joint in my index finger, nowadays I use the 1st joint. Helps with drivers, apparently not with the MD1. Anyway, tried with the 2nd joint again and got consistently good releases no matter how much power I put on them. Same thing helped with the P2 also. Now I'm back to being able to use all my discs properly and everything filling it's purpose.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Dammit, I need to haul my ass over to the Discmania warehouse. I definitely need a P-Craze or an S-Craze that has a slightly higher PLH than my current P-Craze. This thing is wicked good at shaping lines, if it only were a small bit more stable it'd work better in wind and almost be a faster TL...
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Sat May 01, 2010 1:09 pm

Lucky! A Discmania representative was at the competition I went to, got myself an S-Craze and a new run D-P1. I got to compare the Crazes, so I got myself the most stable (highest PLH) one I could find and it's pretty much perfect. It's almost as stable now as the first runs, and if it beats in a bit it'll be so workable it's not even funny. Also, this particular S-plastic is grippy as hell. In mah bag you go!

It rained like hell the entire time, and unlike everyone else I had no problems with drivers, but couldn't use the Maniac to save my life. That thing is unbelievably slippery when it gets wet. =( I got the new run D-P1, which is totally different plastic from the first runs, feels sorta pro-like. Excellent tackyness, a bit more rigid than the first runs and a bit more stable (at first at least) too. Also worked much better when wet than either the first run or the Maniac. If I can't get a bigger bag soon, I'll be kicking the S-P2 out and just carry the new D-P1 and the Maniac for when I need something a little less stable and when it's dry. It's not a big different, but the Maniac definitely turns more.

I also got to try out my friend's SG-Line MD1. It's basically the same as the S-Line, except it's more like normal Innova Star used in mids, ie. much softer and much grippier. Will at some point replace my S-MD1, much more comfortable to throw.

So, updated bag:
Putters:
P1 D-Line (new run)
P1 Maniac P-Line

These two are currently duking it out, don't know which will be my main putter. Probably will just go with either depending on how much stability I need, or how wet it is. Maniac is useless in the wet stuff.

Mids:
MD1 D-Line (beat to straight/understable)
MD1 S-Line (overstable/wind)

Fairway/Control Drivers:
GM Gremlin D-Line (Straight and short driver, also works on anhyzers somewhat)
GM Gremlin S-Line (More overstable short driver)
Sidewinder DX (Anhyzers, hyzerflips, rollers)
CD Craze P-Line (Lineshaping, can make it go pretty much anywhere.)
CD Craze S-Line (Like a beat FR CD out of the box, I'm hoping this will beat into a bit more stable version of the P-Line.)
FR CD S-Line (Straight under any circumstances, almost like a PD-lite)
PD Freak S-Line (I think you know what this is for already ;) )
PD C-Line (At my power level this is all the meat hook I need)
DD Hysteria P-Line (Max D, takes pretty well to lineshaping. I tuned this and now it's just as stable as it was when I bought it, identical to the pink one. This actually caused a few problems, since I'd gotten used to how much it used to turn. :) )

I also have backups for the Freak, the P-DD, the Sidewinder and the S-GM, the C-PD and some first run D-P1s. If I get a bigger bag I'll be adding at least another Freak, another Sidewinder and bringing back the S-P2 (or the P-P2, when it comes out). Still waiting for the damn S-TD to kick the Sidewinder out. =P
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Got rid of the Sidewinders! I was hoping that the S-TD would drive them out, but that thing is no turning driver. Instead it was the P-PD that did the trick at 156g. The other, heavier P-PDs also drove out the FR CDs, I still have the Crazes in the bag just in case, but I haven't thrown them since I got the P-PDs. Damn those discs are good. I might eventually only have PDs and DDs as my drivers. =/

Got two Wizards with the DGR P-PDs (a firm medium and a beat SS), and they're giving the P1s a run for their money. I've not yet made decisions, but I definitely do prefer the Wizard especially for driving at the moment. The medium also jumps out of my hand much better than the softer P1s, which has enabled me to putt longer distances, but has also messed up my distance control. As for the flight path when putting, I could go either way. I think what I'd really like is a P1 in a stiffer plastic for putting. Gateway is expensive and there's only one store in Finland that sells them, and even they usually only have the softs and the SSS. I'm not sold yet, but I am very intrigued by the Wizards. I've also got my pitch putting in order recently, and it has made me prefer stiff putters, where I only liked soft, floppy putters before.

Sidenote: The medium Wizard chips like no other disc I've ever seen. I've barely thrown it for 4 rounds and it's starting to look really haggard, especially the bead is losing chunks at an alarming rate. I've been thinking of getting a Firm Ridge to use as a driving putter.

So yeah, at the moment the bag is:
P-DD - Max D, accurate D
C-PD - Wind, overstable stuff, overheads, occasional rollers and FH
S-PD - Sits between the P-PDs and the C-PDs, longer than the C, more overstable than the Ps
P-PD - 156 for anything requiring turn, or just when I'm limited to a really low power throw (trees, bad footing etc.), 168 for hyzerflips/looooong anhyzers that don't turn that much, has almost zero fade and 172 (weighed at 174) for laser beam stuff. Even the heaviest P-PD powers down to 280' very nicely, no mega fade.
S-CD - Just in case. Turns more than the S-PD (which doesn't really turn) and fades harder than the P-PDs
P-CD - Just in case. Lineshaping, though I expect that when I get really comfortable with the P-PDs they'll take over this slot

D-GM - Straight and short driver, also works on anhyzers really well
S-GM - Can take more power than the D-GM without turning, fades a bit more, but is behaving really straight nowadays
D-MD1 & S-MD1 - I don't really know what these are for anymore. I like the flight, but I'm constantly struggling with grip issues on them. The grip issues aren't even consistent, sometimes the discs work phenomenally well. There aren't any courses around here that would even require using them. If I can work out the grip problems, they're excellent, but if not, they suck. Damn.

Wizards - Medium for driving and putting, beat SS for jump putting and short anhyzer stuff. The SS is black, so I don't dare to use it far from the hole. =)
P1 Maniac - Anhyzer drives. Holds up infinitely better than D-P1s and being orange is easier to find than the SS Wizard.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:22 pm

My and mafas experience with medium Wizards is different. No durability concerns but we don't really use them in harsh places just grassland. In what kind of conditions do you trow them? Rocks, glass...
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:48 pm

if the mediums don't hold up for you, I can always use thrashed ones. when you deem them dead, i will pay the shipping to ship em to the states.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:06 pm

JR wrote:My and mafas experience with medium Wizards is different. No durability concerns but we don't really use them in harsh places just grassland. In what kind of conditions do you trow them? Rocks, glass...

Mostly grass (football field), might have the odd rock in there. I noticed some damage early on just from field practice, but playing the Rautalampi course really did a number on it. If you want to know what it's like, check out my video (though you might already have done so). Still, it seems to be wearing out faster than any putter I've had.

Thatdirtykid wrote:if the mediums don't hold up for you, I can always use thrashed ones. when you deem them dead, i will pay the shipping to ship em to the states.

I've got just one, but if I manage to kill it I'll give you a shout. I really need to find a store that sells Mediums that's also at least in the EU area...

EDIT: Scratch that, I got some firm Softs from Powergrip. These are exactly as firm as the Medium, but have a better surface texture, more grippy and overall nice. They also seem to be holding up a bit better in the nick/gouge department than the Medium I have. They scratch up for sure, but the medium just loses pieces of plastic on similar hits. I'm loving these discs.

I'm also currently test driving the MD2 in P (R-Pro) and S. Damn fine disc, damn fine. Can handle power to spare, flips just a bit and then locks on, with a mild fade at the end. Flies fast and far with good glide. Reminds me of X-Buzzzes. Love it. (This is all the P-Line, it doesn't seem to gouge as bad as the driver R-Pro, but doesn't feel as durable as the putter R-Pro either. I need to do more testing before I can be sure of the durability. Still, the grip is PHENOMENAL.) The S-Line does seem to fly a bit different from the P-Line based on the few throws I've had with it, a bit more of an S-curve disc than the P. Though I wasn't really dialed in when I tried them side by side and only threw the P-Line today on the course.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:36 am

So, I've given up on the Discmania thing. The Meteor won my heart as an understable mid (which Discmania lacks) and the Pro Destroyer is superior to the P-DD. Also got tired of my Wizards just suddenly turning to mush, and replaced them with the ION/Ridge combo.

So my current bag:
Pro Destroyer - Pure max D, also pretty accurate
P-DD - Still in the bag as a back up for the Destroyer, since I only have one of those. Weirdly it actually fades harder than the Destroyer, but also turns more
C-PD - Wind, overstable stuff, overheads, occasional rollers
S-PD - Between the C and the P-PDs. I could use it more than I do currently, it's a very versatile disc now that I've beaten it in
P-PD - Retired the DGR P-PDs, too unique to lose. I now have 168, 172 and 175 P-PDs, softer plastic than the DGR ones. 168 is beat to turn for long anhyzer lines, 172 does a small s-line and the 175 flies on a rope, for now
DX TeeBird - Got one for kicks and fell in love with it. Mine isn't a good example of a TeeBird, it flies like a faster, longer Meteor. Very nice disc to fool around with. Not sure it'll stay in the bag, but a fun disc.

SG-MD1 - Finally! The SG-plastic agrees with my grip and I've gotten over any issues I used to have with this mold. My moderately overstable mid
P-MD2 - Replacement for the D-MD1, like I wanted it to be. Straighter, glidier, better grip, more comfortable. Loving it for straight shots, can handle power to spare
ESP Meteor - My go to for anything left->right. Also a tunnelshot wonder when hyzerflipped, or powered down

X-Link Firm Ridge - Like a brand new Wizard, well, not quite as glidey, which actually helps often
Medium ION - Main putter
FR Soft ION - Trying out, maybe for jump putts or other stuff, who knows!
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Huh. I think I'm actually starting to backtrack, the amount of Discmania in my bag is on the rise. The more I throw the P-MD2 the more I can do with it. It's seriously threatening to kick the Meteor out of the bag. Not that it's getting understable, oh no. It's just so good at controlled anhyzers, as well as being a mean sweeping hyzer machine, and the straightest ever disc from start to finish at full power (that I've ever thrown). If I don't air it out too much it very rarely gets more than 3' of fade. It's just silly good.

I've also been throwing the D-P1 again and I've had simply great success with it. Not going to replace the IONs, oh no, but good to have there when I'm in a funk and need something to take my mind off of things.

The P-DD2 Frenzy also made it's way into my bag, conveniently coming out right when I lost my last Pro Destroyer. I'm not saying it's better, but it's not worse and I do think that I like the feel more.

The FR ION is definitely and permanently in the bag. It's an unbelievably good touch putter. The medium ION is still my main putter, and since I lost my Ridge for a while (got it back today!) I've been shaping more lines with it, and I think from now on I'm only taking the Ridge with me if the wind kicks up. The Ridge is still a good disc, but the ION is so workable. If I could carry 4 putters comfortably the Ridge would always be with me.

The TeeBird is out of the main bag, but it has a very special place in my SlowBag. As a "replacement" I've added an S-TD. I wasn't fair to this disc when I first got it. After toying with it some more (and Feldberg telling me what it's actually for) I've fallen for it.

So yeah, the only non-Discmania discs in my bag are the Meteor, ION, and occasionally, when the course demands it, the Ridge. And honestly? I don't think I'd really do that much worse if I went back to all Discmania.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby yvescy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:16 am

I gotta say, nice bag!

I've recently just got my hands on some Discmania discs: P-PD, S-PD and a P-DD. I'm really diggin' the
P-PDs, but not the S-PDs so much. I agree with what's been said about the plastic differences. The P-DD isn't so bad either.

jubuttib wrote:The TeeBird is out of the main bag, but it has a very special place in my SlowBag. As a "replacement" I've added an S-TD. I wasn't fair to this disc when I first got it. After toying with it some more (and Feldberg telling me what it's actually for) I've fallen for it.

So how do those TDs fly? Or what is it supposed to be used for? Meant for long range turnover shots? Big annys? Straight tunnel shots? All of the above? haha

I'm curious to know as I am trying to look for a disc to fill in my long range turnover slot. I currently just use a beat DX destroyer for that right now. Something a bit slower and having more durabilty without sacrificing glide would be nice. Would a CD or TD fill in that slot?

So I'm guessing the MD2 is really that great of a disc? A 1000 rated player at my course says the MD2 is the "best mid-range" he's ever thrown. For him he said it's like a longer buzzz. hmmm Now I'm curious to try that out too.
Voodoo/KC Aviar/Roc/Gazelle/PD/Firebird
yvescy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jubuttib » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:47 pm

yvescy wrote:So how do those TDs fly? Or what is it supposed to be used for? Meant for long range turnover shots? Big annys? Straight tunnel shots? All of the above? haha

Depends on the TD (surprise!). The gummy ones start out surprisingly HSS, but they beat into sweet understable goodness. Kind of like a better RR.

The stiffer ones on the other hand are much more HSS (usually). To give you an idea on how they fly, Dave Feldberg and Jussi Meresmaa like them for dead nuts straight flight (Dave hyzerflips them a bit for easy 400-430' straight throws. Like less than 10' of fade on the best I've seen. He does this with around 80%) and for driver throws that don't require full power. For me they fly straight, but sometimes the LSS can be funky. There's not a lot of it, but it turns to a small fade angle and then rides that angle with silly amounts of glide to go far far left. If you've tried the more stable/overstable Opto Visions, it's kinda like that.

The C-TDs tend to be the least stable out of the box, don't know if they beat in as fast as the gummy S-Lines. I'd probably have one of these in the bag too, but it's a CFR and our course has a lot of water and underbrush. Might take it with me to other courses though. =)

I currently have a gummy red champystar in the bag, I use it for long anny lines and straight hyzerflips. It really does have very little LSS for a driver that fast.

yvescy wrote:I'm curious to know as I am trying to look for a disc to fill in my long range turnover slot. I currently just use a beat DX destroyer for that right now. Something a bit slower and having more durabilty without sacrificing glide would be nice. Would a CD or TD fill in that slot?

TD might fit better, though P-CDs can play this game too. And there have been understable S-CDs too, and they can do it also. But yeah, I think the gummy S-TD or a C-TD is your best bet. I've raved on about the CDs in the past, I really really do like that disc, the P especially. They can do a lot of stuff. Sneaky long too.

yvescy wrote:So I'm guessing the MD2 is really that great of a disc? A 1000 rated player at my course says the MD2 is the "best mid-range" he's ever thrown. For him he said it's like a longer buzzz. hmmm Now I'm curious to try that out too.

I can't stress it enough: In my mind, the P-MD2 is the best disc money can buy. I absolutely love them. I'm just waiting for a store in Finland to get some more of the orange ones in heavier weights (176-180), I'll buy around a million of them at that point. The S and C are good too, but I haven't used them as much. I like the combination of speed and glide of all of them, and the totally neutral stability of the P-Line.

I'd summarize the MD2s like this:
The S-MD2 is pretty much like a lightly beat X Buzzz, with Mako speed and glide, like all MD2. Turns some and doesn't fade a lot.

The P-MD2 is like a Mako with the HSS of a Z Buzzz and pretty much zero LSS, I'd say even less than the Mako. I've thrown 320' feet shots that didn't turn from flat and faded less than 3', and also 120' shots that fade the same amount. It is just silly straight. I love love LOVE these. I've finally banged mine on enough trees to get some turn in them with a sub par release, but on a totally clean rip they still don't turn.

The C-MD2 is pretty much Z Buzzz-like, with Mako speed and glide.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby yvescy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:14 am

Thanks for the informative and thorough reply jubuttib. I'll definitely consult you when I want to find out more about discmania discs.

Actually I do have a couple of questions now... hehe.
Where in the world did you get the P line MD2? Are they only available in Europe?
Even though I'm fortunate enough to live only 5 miles from http://www.dtworld.com's warehouse, they only carry the S-line MD2s.
Do you know of any other online retail stores where I can even find a bigger selection of Discmania discs?
I've checked a lot of the more "popular ones" but carry limited plastics... :?

Thanks again for the awesome info!
Voodoo/KC Aviar/Roc/Gazelle/PD/Firebird
yvescy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:04 pm

My P MD2 heavy flies extremely less high speed stable compared to my Z Buzzz. That needs a third of the initial hyzer of the MD2 when thrown hard and the Buzzz is broken in. Glo Z Buzzz is ridiculously more HSS and I can't flip it. MD2 is fast but starts to drop earlier for me than Buzzz. I've yet to do a shootout though so that's just based on memory. If the MD2 is longer it comes at the price of being very touchy. Less than a Fuse though. Which is more reliable than a Comet. YMMV
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:51 pm

My mileage does vary from yours, I've tried several P-MD2s and unless they're really beat they're hard to turn, for me at least. My oldest P-MD2 is finally getting some turn, not much though.

I actually took my S-MD2 out to the course today and I'm going to update it a bit: It definitely fades much more than the P ones. I don't know what'll happen when I beat it in, but I'm not too happy with it currently. I took my trusty P-MD2 out of the bag until I can get a stack of replacements. I've bought P-MD2s from Discmania.fi and powergrip.fi, but currently only Powergrip.fi has them available, and they're all too light for me. Hopefully they don't take too long. I know that Discmania has unstamped P-MD2s available, probably in heavy weights, but I don't have the money to get 50 or so custom stamped. =)
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion