avenger

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

avenger

Postby Smyith » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:41 pm

i am thinking about picking one up to try it out. what i am wondering though is its low speed fade characteristics. i am weary because of alot of the new d-drivers have such a hard left fade. also how is this disc in differnt wind situations ( tailwind, crosswinds, headwinds)?
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:10 pm

I don't find the fade on the X-Avenger to be as harsh as you get with an Orc/Illusion/Wraith. I'm not sure if you've ever thrown a Viking, but I find that's what the X-Avenger most resembles, but with a bit more resistance to high speed turn and a bit more fade when new. After they break in some, I think the fade is similar to something like an XL or JLS. New, they're alright into a light to moderate headwind, but you have to put some hyzer on them. Broken in they work well in a tail wind. You just have to putt less hyzer on them, but expect a decent fade.

The Z-Avenger, on the other hand, isn't all that much different than most of the high speed drivers you're talking about. It's resists turn much more and fades more than the X. It's slso better into the wind than the X.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Smyith » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:49 pm

garublador wrote:I don't find the fade on the X-Avenger to be as harsh as you get with an Orc/Illusion/Wraith. I'm not sure if you've ever thrown a Viking, but I find that's what the X-Avenger most resembles, but with a bit more resistance to high speed turn and a bit more fade when new..

cool, i love my viking except i took it out of the bag cause i can achieve the same distance with a teebird in less space. i just gonna go ahead and guess that its way longer then the viking though right?
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:49 am

Smyith wrote:
garublador wrote:cool, i love my viking except i took it out of the bag cause i can achieve the same distance with a teebird in less space. i just gonna go ahead and guess that its way longer then the viking though right?

I didn't find it to be all that much longer than the Viking, but that could just be me. Perhaps if you have more power than me (350'-360' with a Viking) there would be more of a difference because of the increased resistance to turn, but I don't know if that's true or not. Either way, I found both to need less height than a Teebird to get out as far. I did manage to park a 350' hole with a DX Viking once without it getting any higher than 6' off the ground. I know I can't do that with a Teebird.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:21 am

It depends what plastic you are looking at. The z does have a hard fade left. It actually resembles my old z predator.

The x is money. It has some fade when new, but if you have some power, you can throw it straight. I'm not sure if this helps: low speed overstable/high speed stable with resistance to turn. Also, as it beats up, it "straightens" out a bunch.

Right now, it is my go to disc. One warning, mine seemed to beat up pretty quick and is now understable. Of course, I was using it every day, and it took a beating at Live Oak in San Antonio over the summer as I hit every tree on that course.

I'm thinking of changing my name to TreeOutlaw.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smyith » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:01 am

yea i had an impluse buy last night and just bought one im gonna go out today in a little bit and throw it and my illusion came. so its time for a throw off
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Avenger

Postby twmccoy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:37 pm

I like my X avenger but am not wild about the 2 Z's I found. The X avenger seems to fly exactly like a DX teebird but faster and longer. The Z avengers are way more overstable and don't glide that well. The only problem I have with the X avenger is the sharp bottom edge tearing my fingers up. Also, the X avenger will hold a line throughout its flight. It is not a hyzer flip disc and won't do so for me. It has a more gradual fade than a wraith or orc.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Smyith » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:47 pm

so far the x avenger that i bought is pretty good. its long straight and stable. however i dont think it will make my bag. i can put my teebird out the same distance and the pro starfire i just got goes about 25'+ farther than the avenger it about the same space. i still am gonna wait and see how it beats in and see if its fade becomes longer and i get better distance with it. also it stinks in headwinds isnt to special in tailwinds and is ok in cross wind. its still early though in its testing so when i get a chance to go out to the field and through it several times and get a true feel for the disc i will let you guys know.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

avenger

Postby twmccoy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:19 pm

I also like my starfires (both pro and CFR) better than the avenger. I'd like it a lot more if the bottom edge wasn't so hard on my hand. After a couple rounds my finger is all chafed/cut from the sharp bottom edge on the avenger. For me it totally ouflies the teebird though.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:14 pm

the stability on an x avenger is very weight dependent.

i threw a few 167-169's that were flippy out of the box and would come up and over from a hyzer angle to hold a slow turn with a fade out at the end.

the heavier ones were a lot more stable.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

X avenger

Postby twmccoy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:02 pm

MIne is a 174 and it does not flip even if thrown into a moderate headwind. Very predictable. I do have a 164 that flips like crazy though.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby garublador » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:57 am

If it helps, mine is a 170-172.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:02 am

I have a 165 that is very overstable and works well for hyzer flips; I still need to order some heavier weights. I don't mind light weights, but they lose stability way to quick.

Actually, I have 2 165; one of them is still stable to overstable.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment