Any Starcrafters out there?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Any Starcrafters out there?

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:14 am

Yeah I learned a roach build from that guy a while back. I was doing it pretty often and being pretty successful against lower to mid level players. He showed a couple of tricks that I would of never known about. Like as Zerg, if you're 10/10 on overlords, you can get one to build a vespine refinery and then queue up another drone or whatever else you want.
Cancel the refinery, and you get your drone back... it doesn't die like the when you cancel other buildings.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Planeman93 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/day9tv

That's another commentator I much prefer to Husky, he can be pretty hilarious too. This guy also goes into the depths of the game explaining what truly the players at the top levels are doing.

BTW acid, I believe you get your drone back anytime you cancel a building. If it dies though, you do not get it back. They simply use the extractor because its the cheapest building.
Planeman93
Noob

Postby Parks » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Planeman93 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/day9tv

That's another commentator I much prefer to Husky, he can be pretty hilarious too. This guy also goes into the depths of the game explaining what truly the players at the top levels are doing.

I like his analysis, and i like how he pauses the action to describe what is going on if he wants to expand on something, but I could do with the first 5 minutes of jerking off and all the time with the camera on him.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Parks » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:56 pm

Oh my. If you play SC2 at all, watch HuK embarrass this guy in MLG (yes, there is Major League Gaming for top pros). I was laughing my ass off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAzRVq3v29U
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 am

Lol that was pretty awesome. I needa start playing Protoss. I haven't played much in the last 2 weeks, but I played for a few hours on Tuesday with an old friend who picked it up. He used to be AWESOME at Warcraft 1 and 2 and hasn't gamed in years (He just finished taking the Bar exam so for 3 years or so he's been MIA.)

We did some 3v3 ai on hard/hard/hard. Went better than I thought actually. First match I was the one stuck at the front door, so I did nothing but D up and build Banelings. I held off several huge attacks of 20-40 units while my buddies teched to counter what they had.
Was some good times.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Parks » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:15 am

I got owned by a good Baneling bust today. I researched it, and think I know how to stop it in the future. Won't happen again.

I enjoy seeing some of the more extreme all-in stuff. I do a very cautious reaper build that owns anyone not prepared for it, and lets me transition better to the mid-game if they are. I think I'd like to try some of the all-in stuff for poops and giggles.
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:33 am

I do a lot of all in from the get go, but as zerg that's kind of what I need to do.
I've been going with a 6-7 pool lately. SUPER early. If I can get those 4-6 zerglings in there to ruin their economy all better. Me and my 2 buddies did it in 3v3 the other day... I took one terran's economy down while a friend of mine build up a pack of marines to finish guy #1 off in the first 6 minutes.
It's nice when I do nothing but ground and work in zerglings and Banelings.

Guy #2 had a decent defense... but I walked into there with about 40 banelings and crushed his turrets, and selectively went out and broke his infrastructure in a matter of seconds... Pylons all gone in the blink of an eye.
Those rushes are tough. It usually turns into me pestering one player while a friend helps me finish em off.

If my Zerglings aren't really killing the guy off, I'll work towards a lair, burrow, and Roaches. The ability to burrow and walk past groups is insanely helpful. If they don't have any air units, it's VERY Effective. And a lot of people don't tech to detect cloak/burrow. I'll usually walk my ass right to the back of the base and take out their economy first. Then I'll target one mob at a time and burrow/unburrow over and over to regen health. It's great to pick apart an army nearly twice your size. Doesn't always work tho.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Parks » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:40 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:If my Zerglings aren't really killing the guy off, I'll work towards a lair, burrow, and Roaches. The ability to burrow and walk past groups is insanely helpful. If they don't have any air units, it's VERY Effective. And a lot of people don't tech to detect cloak/burrow. I'll usually walk my ass right to the back of the base and take out their economy first. Then I'll target one mob at a time and burrow/unburrow over and over to regen health. It's great to pick apart an army nearly twice your size. Doesn't always work tho.

Burrowing roaches into the mineral line is pretty lol. I'd never seen it before and a guy did it to me in a 1v1 by taking out a supply depot in my wall and then burrowing. He played it smart and dodged my scans and killed SCVs building missile turrets for vision. I was finally able to spread my army out to minimize SCV losses and pop out a raven to wreck his burrowed roaches just in time. Right then, he was dropping more roaches in my base, but I had built up marauders to counter and then went and wrecked him. If he had transitioned to mutas while my economy was poop I wouldn't have been able to react with enough marines or vikings in time. Its a good strat if they don't have detection.
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Yehosha » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Well I've had the game for about 2 weeks now. I finished the campaign a few days ago and have been trying my luck at ladder play. I've been playing soley as Zerg,mostly roach build, and my record is 6-12 which I'm not happy with at all. I either butt rape someone in 5-7 minutes and win or I lose a 20-30 minute battle. The maps are so cheesy with that one tiny entrance that everyone walls up making it hard to do a roach rush. That and some of the maps are so freaking huge it takes forever to scout then actually get your units over there. My strategy has been go roaches, then if walled up with some def behind immidiatley expand, pump the gas hard and go mutas. But like I said it hasn't been working at all. To me 33% wins sucks. I HATE losing. I know most of the bronze ladder has more losses than wins, but still I need to get better. Maybe I need to do Terran or Zerg and wall up like everyone else.
Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Parks » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:40 am

There's definitely a learning curve at first. I lost my almost all of my first ten 1v1 matches but then learned from my mistakes and am well over .500 in 1v1 now.

Watch youtube videos of good Zerg players. You will learn a LOT and win more.
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:43 am

50% win isn't too bad for starters. I think my 1v1 is lower than that. My 2v2 is almost at 50 with a buddy.
We've been doing 3s with another friend vs hard difficulty AI lately tho.
In ladder play, you'll quickly notice that barely ANYONE chooses zerg. I think I need to change back to my old roach/muta strategy because usually I go all in and zerg em down fast. When they're able to hold it off it really puts a damper on my macro because I'm spending more time working on that early pressure.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.