Critique my Driving Technique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Critique my Driving Technique

Postby Planeman93 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Hey guys, I've been playing for about a year now and have been trying to constantly improve. I seem to have hit a wall for the last few months at the mid to upper 300s. Here is a video of just a bunch of drives at the field I did. I would love critique and to start to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I wasn't sure what camera angle was best, so I just took a side view. The second half of the video might be better to view for form because I was closer to the camera. Sorry about the crummy camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKcOToN-bzM

Update: Here is the same video with slower slo mo, maybe it'll help see the form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsyxIwDs0EM

Thanks in Advance
Last edited by Planeman93 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Planeman93
Noob

Re: Critique my Driving Technique

Postby JR » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:56 pm

I have little time now but shortening the final step will shift your weight more forward at the rip increasing D by helping to get the nose angle down and keeping the speed of the disc higher on average throughout the throw. I'll get back to this later if others don't cover enough of the rest.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:12 pm

I'm seeing something going on with your elbow there.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Planeman93 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Yeah I see that too, my elbow does look a little funky. Not sure whats going on there.
Planeman93
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:42 am

You run in a slight anny fashion but the arm follows through in a hyzer. I'm so tired after work that I didn't watch closely. I imagine you have hyzer throughout the arm swing. Try to start the arm acceleration alter to see if that increases D. It won't unless you manage to add the acceleration rate which is easier with a later acceleration. The elbow is moving ahead of time compared to the rest of the body and it ain't retarding for the elbow straightening.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Planeman93 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:30 pm

What can I do to help get my elbow in the correct place?
Planeman93
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:21 pm

Right pec drill. For getting acquainted with the position you could just pose the beginning of the drill while standing still to get familiar with it. So face 90 degrees left of the target put the disc by your right pec and raise the elbow to should height and point it as far toward the target as it will go. Then take the elbow an inch back because if the upper arm were to extend fully it could lock the elbow into bent and that's very painful and probably hazardous to health. I've done it once badly and once very uncomfortably. No joy. Slowing down doing the drilling helps too but you should really read the right pec drill thread.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Video Critique