Tylenol before playing?

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby JR » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:22 am

Massage, ice and stretching are great for healthy tissues. Just don't stretch or massage after ice because it contracts muscles and makes everything brittle. You mighthurt yourself dong things old. Ask me how warm and short the Finnish winter is :twisted:
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rehder » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:49 am

JR wrote:
victorb wrote:what Sarah DeMar says on her Team DC page, good advice:

Dealing with a Sore Muscle or Suspected Tendonitis
Disc golfers experience a lot of repetitive movement strains and injuries, whether its the torso rotation of the drive, the arm lift of the putt or even your routine before the shot (think of Bennett doing The Lawnmower!) When a muscle is overworked or pushed beyond it's comfortable range of motion, tiny tears in the muscle tissue can occur and lead to trigger points and the build-up of scar tissue, which is the same as stabilizing tissue. Scar tissue attempts to restrain movement so that no further damage occurs, but unfortunately the brain only knows that it feels pain during some movements. If you feel pain, you need to address it, ask it what it needs to help the muscle, and do it. If your throwing arm's rotator cuff is sore or sends stabs of pain down your arm, nob it with a Backnobber II or get a massage. If your shoulder joint hurts when you putt, use your fingertips to explore your pecs for sore spots and rub them out. The bottom line is PLEASE do not take an aspirin before every round and do nothing for sore muscles. Self-massage, ice, stretch and warm up properly. Take care of your muscular system and your golf game will take care of itself.

bolded for importance

My doc said that you wouldn't massage an open wound would you? So why would you stretch and massage already broken tissue that busted from overstretching in the first place? The advice up there may be beneficial later or not I don't know but let the tissue heal first before trying this.

Is you doc just a general practitioner or does he have speciality regarding this area. Now Im not saying you should overstretch, but there are numerous studies that show, that it is beneficial to get work done on scar-tissue coupled with stretching.

The best is obviously seeing an expert, but I usually foam roll sore muscles, and it definitly helps in loosening them up, followed by specific stretches.

foamrolling article http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/feel_better_for_10_bucks
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:24 am

I've had several docs :roll: Don't recall his specialty. But the difference is you wrote scar tissue. I wrote of when the tissue is torn. Different situation.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby EpicLeopard1337 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:47 am

for the record, Ibuprofen and Motrin are the same. they also would probably work the best for preemptive soreness relief. it also is a good idea to take them BEFORE the pain starts, as that is how all pain relievers work best. unless you have some serious pain issues, 2 pills should be enough.

another option would be to take naproxen sodium, more commonly known as Aleve. it's not as great of a pain reliever as ibuprofen, but it does work a little better as an anti-inflammatory, so it might help with stiffness more.
Flash-Valkyrie-Cheetah-Roc-Buzzz-Comet
EpicLeopard1337
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: honky cat

Postby cboy40 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:02 am

advil or motrin would probably be your best bet as they are both ibuprofen. ibuprofen is an anti-inflamatory. you only want to take 800mg at a time so you don't risk damage to your liver. only take up to 2400mg a day (so 800mg 3 times a day), and space them out as directed on the bottle. i wouldn't keep this up for TOO long, or only use it when you need it. as previously stated, you don't want to build up a tolerance to it.
i used to be a trainer for our wrestling team in college. i also had an inflamed nerve bundle under my shoulder blade at that time, and our head trainer gave me all of that info. it's amazing what taking the right type of medication will do. i was taking high powered pain killers, and they wouldn't touch it. after i took the advil, there was no pain at all.
cboy40
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flick

Postby black udder » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:14 am

i used to do the same thing, but have cut back. I see a physical therapist/masseuse regularly and use biofreeze before/between rounds as necessary.

my biggest problem has been keeping energy and focus up recently and not the body holding together (which is a big improvement over a few years ago).
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Autiger » Thu May 06, 2010 6:38 pm

It's not a good idea. If your body is sore in a "good way" from disc golf, then you've got bigger problems. Stretching and proper warms along with light lifting can fix that. If your soreness is occurring in the form of tendinitis, joint pain, or muscle strain then rest and ice is your best bet. Meds will only mask the pain. When that happens you cannot be aware of what you are doing to your body. Anti-inflammatory's can be helpful in reducing inflammation and swelling, but should never be taken before a round.
Autiger
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Teebird

Postby Danforth » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:15 pm

Well, I went out and practices on tylenol again (without really setting out to do it). I took 2000mg of tylenol this morning for a sore knee, and went out and did some putting practice.

Dude! I was deadly out there! I sank more putts from longer ranges than I can ever remember doing. There's something about my bio-chemistry that tylenol has a positive effect on. I seem to loosen up and have better coordination. I also did some effortless forehand drives with Champ Starfires out to 350+. I was throwing them with less OAT than I ever had before.

I got to find out why this is and see if I can play this good without ruining my liver!
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Postby EpicLeopard1337 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:21 am

Danforth wrote:Well, I went out and practices on tylenol again (without really setting out to do it). I took 2000mg of tylenol this morning for a sore knee, and went out and did some putting practice.

I got to find out why this is and see if I can play this good without ruining my liver!

indeed! keep that up and you won't have a liver to speak of. switch to Ibuprofen, no more than 4 at a time.
EpicLeopard1337
Tree Magnet

Postby tistoude » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:29 am

I take two Advil before and after every tournament and it works wonders. I really don't take medication for any other reason so I am not to worried about building up a tolerance or anything like that. It seems to loosen me up more than just stretching and throwing some practice holes by themselves.
tistoude
Noob

Favorite Disc: VooDoo

Postby Fritz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:54 pm

EpicLeopard1337 wrote:
Danforth wrote:Well, I went out and practices on tylenol again (without really setting out to do it). I took 2000mg of tylenol this morning for a sore knee, and went out and did some putting practice.

indeed! keep that up and you won't have a liver to speak of. switch to Ibuprofen, no more than 4 at a time.

IB is just as bad for the liver and kidney. Alieve is the worst offender.

There are lotions and creams that are not harmful and can achieve the same effect for temporary pain relief of sore joints and muscles.
http://www.biofreeze.com/products.php being one of them.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby EpicLeopard1337 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:47 pm

ibuprofen is really not that bad for the liver. you can drink on it too without much worry of damaging your liver.

kidneys I don't know about.
EpicLeopard1337
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:16 pm

EpicLeopard1337 wrote:ibuprofen is really not that bad for the liver. you can drink on it too without much worry of damaging your liver.

kidneys I don't know about.

Nay Nay... It damages it just as bad when over used. What this thread is about, is definitely considered overuse.

The liver is the main organ that eliminates ibuprofen from the body. The process may work slowly in some people, or liver function may be altered by high doses of IB.
If the liver is unable to eliminate the drugs properly, the liver may become damaged or inflamed. Liver inflammation resulting from medication is called drug-induced hepatitis. It can also cause gastrointestinal issues like extreme constipation along with stomach bleeding.

Acetaminophen is a lot more dangerous as overdose can cause liver failure and/or kill you in a matter of days. Where IB takes slightly longer but is still considered dangerous.

Drinking Alcohol with IB and Tylenol is a death sentence for your liver. Your statement is 100% false on drinking with IB. Drinking with Tylenol could kill you by the end of the night depending on the qty taken on both drinking and Tylenol.

This information can be verified by the FDA, NIH and CDC.

Taking as much IB/Tylenol as discussed in this thread, to be blunt, is stupid, careless and unsafe no matter how you look at it.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby emiller3 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:34 pm

There is a reason that athletes get addicted to pain-killers and the recovery power of steroids, you can certainly play better when you're pain free and loosened up. But, find another way to elevate your game. Exercise, get into a pre-round warm up routine (I'm bad at this), and learn to thrive in pressure situations if you want to up your game. Don't numb your body just to play better.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby EpicLeopard1337 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:13 pm

I stand by my statements on ibuprofen. if it actually were that bad for your liver, I highly doubt my sister who is a pharmacist specialized in emergency medicine would have told me to take 3 for my headache before we went out drinking for the night.

believe who you want, but the effects of iburofen on your liver are minimal
EpicLeopard1337
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury