Sports Champions for PS3 (best looking DG game EVER)

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Sports Champions for PS3 (best looking DG game EVER)

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:09 am

Do the overhead shots flip over?
I ask because it seems like they are dodging the physics that would confuse the uninitiated.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:30 pm

Robin Hood wrote: Maybe I was taking to seriously or trying to hard but I tied my buddies girlfriend who threw nothing but spike hyzers

Sounds like maybe you just suck at it.....maybe try the gold difficulty too, I doubt anyone who doesn't play dg would do too well in gold, you actually need some significant snap to get a full power drive.....unlocking the alternate tees (each hole has 3) also adds a lot more challenge and variety to the game

You are right about one thing though....no hyzer flips, these discs are super high speed stable......gotta work those annys....or fh
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:35 pm

NoLifeLeft wrote:Do the overhead shots flip over?
I ask because it seems like they are dodging the physics that would confuse the uninitiated.

Yes they do, just very slowly, you need to throw a thumber at around 45 degrees and get it real high to get a full flight.....took me like 2 days to figure out how to turn the disc over for a thumber......turn the controller over :lol:
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Seneca_22 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:20 pm

I like the game, bought it mostly for the DG game. Sold my Super Nintendo, several games and controllers just to get enough cash to buy the bundle. Can't wait to get some extra controllers and the support controller. Volleyball might be fun. Wish they had bowling.

Anyway, I'm liking the game, just super stable discs. I'm like "Flex.........FLEX!!!!......." they don't come back till it's too late. Still a lot of fun, and I swear it helped my putting game. I hadn't played a round of disc in 3 months, I head to the local course that I played ONCE (I moved to a new town this summer) that I had shot +3 on before, and I shoot 3 down. My putting saved par on several 30-40 foot putts, and my drives were mostly on for the round, upshots too.

Going to try it on Gold next time.

My kids love it too.
Seneca_22
Tree Magnet

Postby Desafinado » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:03 am

Just want to throw some more praise on this - I've played both of the existing Wii disc golf games (Tiger Woods + Wii Sports Resort), and this game is vastly superior when it comes to replicating real disc golf. As others have pointed out, the discs fly with little-to-no initial turn, and will generally hold their initial line for the whole flight, but they did a good job capturing the effect of nose angle - throw a nose up shot and it will flare and fade, throw with the nose properly down and you'll maximize distance and minimize low-speed fade.

There's definitely room for improvement in the physics model, primarily by adding initial precession based on amount of spin and different flight profiles for different types of drivers with understable to overstable flight behavior. Also, as mentioned by JesseB, you can't throw more than 320-340ft on flat ground, which while accurate for my personal power level isn't what you want in a video game; you should be able to throw 400-450 if you fill up the power meter during a shot.

A couple of things that are really neat - when you get hosed with a bad lie, you can try grenade shots/extreme anny backhands+forehands/rollers and they all act remarkably similar to real-world shots. The forehand roller is a legit escape shot in this game! Also, the interaction of the disc with the ground is really well done- discs skip when they should, cut when they should, etc. They also have pretty accurate sound effects for discs hitting objects/the ground.

Other thoughts - putting is a little too easy as compared to real life, I find that within 50-60 feet I'm about 85% in this game, and I'll hit 80-100 footers about a third of the time. This works nicely with the lack of distance on drives, however, because on the Gold(hardest) tee settings, you end up with a lot of 60-90 footers for birdie based on the hole lengths in that difficulty setting. The 18 holes in the game are really comprised of three different 6-hole courses in a park, mountain, and winter setting, and while there are three different tees and two different visual settings (day/night), it would be really nice to have more courses to play. It is really cool, however, that several of these 18 holes are real pro par fours in the 550-700 foot length range.

If you're somebody who's holed up during the winter due to weather or otherwise just can't make it out to the course very often, I highly recommend this game as a way to get your disc fix. The only downside is that it's not cheap - $100 for the Move Starter Bundle.

With the accuracy of these controllers, I really hope some developer creates a true disc golf game with multiple real-world courses, different discs, pro players, a progression system where you build skills/earn money for winning, etc. That would be amazing.
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Sean40474 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:23 am

Desafinado wrote:With the accuracy of these controllers, I really hope some developer creates a true disc golf game with multiple real-world courses, different discs, pro players, a progression system where you build skills/earn money for winning, etc. That would be amazing.

I would love it if someone like EA would get a hold of this and make it for real like other games in this category. At least we're on the map in the game world though :D
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm torn on this. On one hand, every dollar I spend toward a DG video game is like casting a vote supporting the development of more and better DG games, but at the same time I don't like buying new technology as soon as it comes out (thank god I waited a couple years before buying my PS3). I'm still undecided.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby jubuttib » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:18 pm

My friend apparently has this game (and another one is getting it), I'm going to have to check out how much more accurate than the Wiimote with the Motion+ attachment it really is. It's hard to think it'd be that much more accurate, maybe faster responding, but I've always thought that the Wiimote is an accurate controller, even if the games often don't really do the Wiimote justice.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby krusen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:35 am

I also have this setup for the PS3. If you own a PS3 it is very much worth it IMO.
I have to agree with the others that it is a lot of fun, but the physics need a bit of work, and it definitely needs another course. ( I was reading a playstation blog where someone mentions download content of a new course, and the producer replied that it was a good idea, so cross your fingers.)

When people say more accurate, I think a lot of that is referencing the fact that it is a closer 1:1 experience than the Wii. With the camera, there is no faking out the system with a little wrist flick. You really need to put your whole body into it. Table tennis is great, Gladiator Duel is a riot, and bocce ball is very cool...the rest is OK.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby krusen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Just bought the reverse course add on from the PS store. Tees and baskets are switched, not exact positions, but they are adjusted a bit to be playable. I think it was $3...very much worth it IMO. It's quite a bit tougher on some holes. Definitely more forehand friendly.
hopefully enough people buy it so they will create some new holes from scratch.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby garublador » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:04 am

I got a PS3 with the Move for Christmas and played the DG game for a while. I agree with what Jessie has said, but I will say that from a video game standpoint they did, IMO, an excellent job of making physics compromises and course design to make a really solid video game. They obviously did their research and you can tell the game was made by DG'ers.

The physics are a bit funny, but the way it's done makes a lot of sense. Yeah, there aren't hyzer flips, but it's not really that difficult to get a flat shot. The discs act like different molds if you throw them hyzer, flat or anhyzer. Hyzers hold their angle, flat shots are pretty straight and the discs hold a gentle anhyzer really well. A stable Sabre might be the closest thing to the molds they give you. This might be seen as an error in the physics, but as someone who knows enough about DG and has been playing video games for 2.5 decades, it feels more like technological compromises made by people who really wanted to make a great DG game but were limited as to how complex it could be. The interaction between nose angle and disc flight is really great and totally unexpected and I'll take it over more accurate mold approximations.

The putting is a bit crazy. I played through the first 10 single player levels and I think I only missed one putt inside 60'. It was probably a playability decision. Why not eliminate the most frustrating part of the game to make it more accessible to non DG'ers?

The lack of D is frustrating for a disc golfer, but considering they don't have the same limits we do with course design, they did a great job of making courses that cater to how far you can throw in the game. They can put every feature exactly where they want so theoretically the holes can be "ideally" designed. It's fun throwing into caves and around cliffs and stuff, too.

"Faster responding" is a really good way to describe the major difference between the Move and the Wii. I think it is a bit more accurate, too, especially with twisting movements. I always found those a bit hard to control on the Wii and the Move is quite a bit better.
garublador
Disc Whore

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.