Drives: Help

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Drives: Help

Postby nthomas » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:37 pm

http://www.vimeo.com/15468171 - The quality was crapped out in the encoding process, im going to shoot more tomorrow, and will get some better shots, but could use some help!
nthomas
Noob

Favorite Disc: FORCE

Re: Drives: Help

Postby keltik » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:46 pm

your follow through looks good. you may be pulling a little high but your fundamentals seem solid. more video with less weird angles will help continue the critique.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby nthomas » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:43 pm

http://www.vimeo.com/15473349

Another one. Yeah, surprised my footwork looks good to me at least and have really been working on staying light and shifting weight from back to front foot. Really, wanna hit a new level though and get 400 + power. Walked my two farthest throws and they were 115 paces but not the most scientific. Field practice has done wonders.
nthomas
Noob

Postby nthomas » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:12 pm

http://www.vimeo.com/15473867 - Finally a little higher quality!
nthomas
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:47 am

nthomas wrote:http://www.vimeo.com/15473867 - Finally a little higher quality!

Try to push the left leg straight and have it on the ground when the disc leaves the hand and move a little more weight forward. The final step is so long that it is for a full speed run up and an x step. For a more controlled throw you could shorten the final step about 10" which would get your weight more forward limiting throwing high stalling shots. The run up direction is for a mild anny. Were you trying to get that? Your arm follow through with a dropping height is consistent with an anny like your final step placement relative to the running direction. You also pulled the arm fairly far away from the chest which is anny specific. Though mild annies can be pulled close to the right pec. You got admirably low line so I'd think that the wrist is down enough for that high of a throw. Throwing higher would require more effort in wrestling down the wrist.

For more power generation twist the hips to the right of the knees facing direction and the shoulders even more right of the hips. You don't start the arm acceleration way too early which is great but can you increase the explosiveness of the elbow straightening especially in the end of the throw?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby nthomas » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Yeah, was throwing an anny and kick it up into the wind. The wind was pretty fierce. Yeah, it's amazing that you never really see your flaws until you get it on video. Cut my step down 10 inches and felt a 100 % more controlled. Also, been trying to exaggerate the kick or pulling my back foot up which I can tell is creating OAT. Still wrestling with pulling my elbow through, still feel like i'm throwing an ultimate type throw which I can't break. It's pouring right now so will have to get some new videos tomorrow, especially with hyzers. What are the best angles for critiques, and thanks for the help really wanna tear 2011 season up!?
nthomas
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:10 pm

The most revealing camera angle is obliquely downward from the left side of the thrower for a backhand throw. If you can't get elevation up then try to set the camera close to the ground filming somewhat upward. Failing that disc height from the left with the enter of the picture being at the right pec position showing the whole run up and the disc until the rip and a little after for flutter detection.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby nthomas » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:16 pm

http://vimeo.com/15544006 - more with some midrange shots, still trying to figure this camera stuff out. Also, through some rollers in there. Actually got it to the tree at hole 1 which I believe is 520. Anny with a Pro Katana that hooked up. Kept it tighter to my body but should I be torqueing it like I do. The discs were Overstable Predators and Forces.
nthomas
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:13 am

You can get more power by planting the final step heel toward the target and toe away from the target and turning the shoulders 200+ degrees left of the target. Also you should turn the shoulders actively to the right just before chopping the elbow straight. The same goes for reaching back farther with the hips and twisting them to the right before the shoulders start to turn. There's significant increase of power to be had here if you can remain balanced and time things right while still having equally or more explosive acceleration from everywhere.

Currently you start to pull the arm forward from the left pec and never getting much arm speed or acceleration after the initial burst. Many here have had longer drives from really concentrating on moving the arm fastfast fast form the right pec accelerating all the time in a violent arm chop. That's something you want to check out. Where to begin acceleration and how hard you can accelerate and how long and how far the discs go from each beginning point and acceleration type combination. Whichever gives the most D now should be adopted to playing in the short term. If you're lucky You won't have to change anything else than nerve speed and power which come from repetition and cross training. In the long term other acceleration points may give more D so those should be tried out at least annually.

Your arm tended to follow through on the correct plane more often than not but check out the first vid with the white hoodie on. It seems you're throwing an annie but follow through flat. That would reduce anny or eliminate it.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Aaron_D » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 pm

I agree with JR, you are losing a lot of power by not turning your hips enough away from the target during the reachback. Point your right but cheek at the targetduring the reachback. Check out the discraft distance vids. They cover that.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Return to Video Critique