meter of relief dispute question

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

meter of relief dispute question

Postby Pwingles » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:54 pm

In a round the other day I threw my 2 shot and it landed in bounds, then skipped OB onto a path which is OB itself, not beyond, just if its completely on the path. Then off the other side of the path and rolled on its wing back onto the path. In short went onto path the first time on the basket side of the path, then went off path, back in bounds, then from the non basket side of the path made its way back onto said path. I took my disc, set it at my feet and took my 4 shot from directly behind the path, mini touching the path basically and my foot behind that. Guy in the group says, you have to take a meter. I say then Ill be OB??? he says no a meter back from where it went out, basically farther from the hole.

I was under the assumption you get that meter so you do not have to take your shot from an OB position. He is saying that no matter what if you go OB you have to take a meter away from the OB regardless. This makes no sense to me as i was not OB, and I took my lie on the side of the path were it was last inbounds, but why would i have to take a meter away from the OB in this case?

---------------------------------> 0 <-----basket
-------------------------------------o o
=========================o==o==o========== <---- OB walking path
---------------------------------o------o-o -------------- path of disc coming from left to right -->
-------------------------------o

o = my disc

whatchya think
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Re: meter of relief dispute question

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:06 pm

You were correct. He was not. You have UP TO 1 meter, not exactly 1 meter. In your case, your stance was completely inbounds going away from OB and it only makes sense to have your marker right next to OB. The only reason there's the option for 1 meter relief at all is you have to have all parts of your body you choose to have touching the ground behind your marker, inbounds at the time you release your next throw.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dig It » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:22 pm

Yea it's a sliding meter from how I understand it. You get 1 meter of "play" from OB. Now Chuck while you're here, lets say Roc Lover ended up staying in bounds before it last rolled out. Let's also say he was 2 feet from the OB on the same side (second to last "o" in his ascii drawing). Can he then move it to be snug up against the OB line and get himself 2 feet closer to the basket?
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby biscgolf » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:06 pm

um...negative
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: proline leopard

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:48 pm

Let's also say he was 2 feet from the OB on the same side (second to last "o" in his ascii drawing). Can he then move it to be snug up against the OB line and get himself 2 feet closer to the basket?

Yep per 803.03C. "If the thrown disc comes to rest in-bounds but within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be relocated to any point on a one-meter line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the out-of-bounds line, and passes through the center of the thrown disc. This holds true even if the direction takes the lie closer to the hole."
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby juju » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:01 pm

"This holds true even if the direction takes the lie closer to the hole."

Dumb.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby curt » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:12 pm

"This holds true even if the direction takes the lie closer to the hole."

Dumb.

Lets say there is a roadway running parallel to hole. The road and beyond are OB, and by the nature of "and beyond" there is no distance one can travel to get back in bounds. Next, let us assume that my disc comes to rest pin high, mostly laying on the road, but with 2 cm of the disc in bounds. The disc is in bounds. If moving my lie one meter closer to the basket is dumb, where should it be played?
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Pwingles » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:18 am

yes there is a reason they have to word it in such a way. I assume it mostly has to do with potential safety issues. If your lie is 3 inches from a cliff with a dangerous drop (extreme example obv) its not safe for you to play it there since you have to be behind it. This should not be affected by where the basket is located although obviously safety isnt an issue in 99.99 pct of lies it would be more unfair to deprive someone of their safety. Also, when you are taking your throw you need to be in bounds, it just doesnt make any sense to me to say "this area of the course is off limits and if you land there you lose a stroke, but you can throw from there if you land close enough to here to still be in"
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Return to Rules Discussion