Discspeed's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discspeed's Bag

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:18 am

Timko wrote:
discspeed wrote:
Timko wrote:That's a nice looking bag. It's about the size of the Spider Monkey I've been carrying most of this year.

It looks kind of familiar, huh? It would be fun to trade bags for a round and see how we do.

If I'm ever down in Florida, it's on :).

You should come down for some vacation time...I'd offer my house to stay at, but it's pretty cramped right now with the baby. I do however know of motels to stay at that are clean and cheap ($40 a night or so). You could get in a round or two with Aleksey and I. It probably sounds fun now, but once you get your first snow storm it will sound even better!
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Timko » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:30 pm

Remind me of this conversation at the end of January, and I'll probably fly down the week after :D.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Risk » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:29 am

Hey Discspeed, are you still liking the Hurricane?
Force - Z Nuke - Predator - Stalker - Buzzz - Fuse -Zone - Focus
Risk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby discspeed » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Risk wrote:Hey Discspeed, are you still liking the Hurricane?

I like the Hurricane and I still have one, but it never made my bag. I still think it's the best warp speed turnover disc made yet, I just don't have that shot on any of the courses I play regularly. Here;s a couple of concerns I have about the Hurricane in general that also kept me from carrying it:

1. The plastic is awesome in the FRs...but I fear (make that KNOW) it will fluctuate. The next run will be gummy...
2. Most of the 50 we have at CDGS are flat and too flippy...Mine is domey and that gives it more glide and a slower high speed turn.
3. The Hurricane doesn't do well at all in a head/cross winds...It's just got too much glide and turn.
discspeed

another mold bites the dust...

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:27 pm

I broke out my first new C-PD since I put my original in my bag however long ago it was when they came out. I think this one is even more overstable than the one in my bag started! Anyway, my XXX is feeling pretty redundant at this point, so I'm afraid it's going to be sidelined unless I'm playing in serious wind. The C-PD doesn't go as far overhand, but it takes a more direct line and is still really good. The C-PD is much easier to power down on for overstable midrange-distance shots as well. I've also finally semi-retired my original P-PD as it is thrashed pretty useless...I'm also soon to be testing my first River(thx Jeronimo), and there is possibly some room in my bag for something slower and turnable.

I'm playing a tournament in about a month at my home course. Here's the bag I'm practicing with to prepare:

2x Medium Proto Ion--drives, approaches, and putts
1xFR Medium Ion--step more stable than my protos

1xGL Fuse--turnover mid
2x2FR Buzzz--flippy and straight, workhorse mids
1xOpaque Z Buzzz--overstable

1xP-PD (stiffy)--turnovers, frozen ropes
2xS-PD--seasoned and new, workhorse drivers
2xC-PD--seasoned and new, hyzers and wind

1xZ Nuke--step up from my favorite S-PD for longer, lower, or harder finishing shots
1xStar Boss--just like Nuke, but more stable for hyzers/wind
discspeed

Postby josser » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:40 pm

I have to say that I find that CPDs take a proper hyzer path for spike hyzers, but the xxx just drops out of the air after it hits the apex. It's pretty reasonable to have both and they perform quite differently on overhands.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JimW » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:49 am

Timko wrote:Remind me of this conversation at the end of January, and I'll probably fly down the week after :D.

I'll whip both of you.

and by whip I mean finish a distant third
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:14 am

josser wrote:I have to say that I find that CPDs take a proper hyzer path for spike hyzers, but the xxx just drops out of the air after it hits the apex. It's pretty reasonable to have both and they perform quite differently on overhands.

I definitely agree that they both have separate and valid merit. The XXX has just been demoted to the box in my car where I keep other situational discs because the need for it just does not arise on the courses I regularly play, but if I ever get off this peninsula again I may find a need.

Also, speaking of spike hyzers, if you throw the C-PD with more hyzer it can go up and straight down like the XXX does from a 45 degree release.
discspeed

Postby josser » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:07 pm

discspeed wrote:
josser wrote:I have to say that I find that CPDs take a proper hyzer path for spike hyzers, but the xxx just drops out of the air after it hits the apex. It's pretty reasonable to have both and they perform quite differently on overhands.

I definitely agree that they both have separate and valid merit. The XXX has just been demoted to the box in my car where I keep other situational discs because the need for it just does not arise on the courses I regularly play, but if I ever get off this peninsula again I may find a need.

Also, speaking of spike hyzers, if you throw the C-PD with more hyzer it can go up and straight down like the XXX does from a 45 degree release.

My level of mediocrity is high enough that even if I wouldn't expect to need the xXx in a regular round, I would want it for get out of trouble shots. Of course I also have way too many molds in my bag.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Re: another mold bites the dust...

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:30 pm

It's official...I've replaced my P-PD with an Opto River...I'll be trying more Rivers soon as well, we just ordered a shit load of them.

1xGL Fuse--turnover mid

1xOpto River--turnovers, frozen ropes

1xZ Nuke--step up from my favorite S-PD for longer, lower, or harder finishing shots
discspeed

Postby Timko » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:06 pm

You roll those S PDs?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:07 pm

Timko wrote:You roll those S PDs?

I don't really have the roller in my on course repertoire...I throw them in the field and to my dog, but I've never thrown a roller in competition (other than short FH to get out of trouble). I haven't tried with my S-PD...and although my champy-star S-PD seemed to break in pretty fast at first, it hasn't seemed to get any flippier since I aced with it back in June. It's almost frustrating since I have enough backups now that I'd like it to be flippier, but the disc has been too good to be to get any artificial beating.
discspeed

Re: another mold bites the dust...

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 am

I'm testing out the ESP Cyclone as my fairway driver. I'll be testing more Rivers when we get them as well.

1xGL Fuse--turnover mid

1xESP Cyclone--versatile mini-PD

discspeed

Postby discspeed » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:30 pm

This setup is working great for me everywhere that I play. Today I shot a personal best bogey free -10 during the Taylor Park handicap...and they had just moved several holes into their longest, most un-birdiable positions. Here's my birdie breakdown in terms of what was thrown off the tee:
Ion: 3 (put a 4th 25' away and I missed my putt :( )
Fuse: 1
Buzzz: 2
Cyclone: 4
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:45 pm

The core elements of my bag remain the same, but I'm messing with some new frill including:

ESP Zone
M & Q JLS
Opto and GL Flows
Champ Xcal (holding the spot for the PD2)

I've taken out the Cyclone (it was never really in), Nuke, and Boss.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion