Mah bag, let me show you it

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Mah bag, let me show you it

Postby jubuttib » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:58 am

Was out guerrilla golfing today, gusts were up to 25+ mph at times. I worked a lot with my SG-MD1 and I have to say, it performed beautifully. Even into direct headwind and downhill it stayed straight and reliable. I have no doubts about how well it can handle headwinds anymore. It won't fade hard, but it won't flip out of course either, unless you OAT it of course. I was also pleased to see that it didn't really get pushed around by the wind that much.

Overall a very positive experience and reaffirmed my decision to keep it in the bag, even though I hardly use it. It does have it's place.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:42 am

That's why i like it the best out of the Dsicmania mids for general use. A new D-Line also has it's uses but the need for durability around here means that the SG-Line MD1 is the king for me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:29 pm

The only thing wrong with the D-MD1 (and the S-MD1) is that they're so incredibly sensitive to the slightest mistakes in your release. The SG seems to absorb them much better, making it the only one I can really trust, even on an off-day.

The P-MD2 is still the king of mids for me. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Buzz FTW for me but the first run D MD1 i had was so HSS and LSS more than my Star Rancho Roc that it wasn't sensitive to OAT and mine was worse then than now. I have heard that newer ones may be less HSS so that may explain a part of the differences in our experiences at least. The D MD1 i had also tolerated strong arming quite nicely when new.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:58 pm

Spring is starting to crawl back, so it's time to take a look at my bag again. I'm sure I'll go through many revisions, but this is what I'm starting out with:

Putters:
Medium ION - Bread & Butter, main driving and putting putter.
FR Soft ION - Short turnovers and anhyzers, long putts.
Baseline JOKERi - Windy situations, or when I need the extra fade. I also have a Premium if I deem the baseline not overstable enough.

Mids:
P-MD2 - Main mid for most situations (assuming I can get a hold of some more orange ones). Straight and straighter, workable left and right.
C-MD2 - More stable and wind resistant than the above, with more fade. If these beat in nicely they'll replace the P-Lines. Probably... Until then they basically replace my SG-MD1.
S-GM - A beat one, very straight (neutral) mid and workable on many many lines. The combination of speed and glide properties make this more suited to some throws than the P-MD2.
S-GM - A new, freaky overstable one, almost like a Drone in the air. I'll most likely cycle this and the Vector around to see which one sticks.

Drivers:
S-TD - Beat champystar, turnovers.
S-TD - Arrow straight. High HSS, low LSS.
C-TD - Production run C-Line, middle ground between the two S-Lines.
S-PD - Lower PLH specimen, has some turn and a good, solid fade. Especially good on s-curve lines. Can also handle wind better than the TDs.
S-PD - Overstable like the First Runs, pretty much no turn even in the wind and a good fade, but not a meat hook.
C-PD - CFR, my utility disc. Thumbers, heavy headwinds, "must go left" shots.
P-PD2 - Controlled max D.
C-PD2 - CFR, basically a longer C-PD.
P-DD2 - All out max D.

So it looks like Discmania has once again taken over my bag. The Meteor is gone, it was too unreliable in the end, and the TDs and PDs power down so well I don't really want anything between them and my mids. The IONs aren't going anywhere though. While I like the P2 very much the plastic options just aren't enticing, and really, you just can't beat an ION. And the JOKERi is a fantastic complement to the ION. If they came up with a stiffer, more durable "baseline" (Pro-level) plastic for their putters they'd get more notice. As it stands the putters are the red-headed stepchild of the Discmania range.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Apathy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:02 pm

jubuttib wrote:Image
Top left to bottom right:

Putters:
P1 Maniac P-Line (main putter)
P2 S-Line (driving putter, probably windy situations also)

Mids:
MD1 D-Line (beat to straight/understable)
MD1 S-Line (overstable/wind)

Fairway/Control Drivers:
GM Gremlin D-Line (Straight and short driver, also works on anhyzers somewhat)
GM Gremlin S-Line (More overstable short driver)
Sidewinder DX (Anhyzers, hyzerflips, rollers)
CD Craze P-Line (Tight S-Lines, anhyzers that straighten out at the end)
FR CD S-Line (Straight under any circumstances, usually even skips straight)
PD Freak S-Line (I think you know what this is for already :) )
PD C-Line (At my power level this is all the meat hook I need)
DD Hysteria P-Line (Max D, small S-line, pretty controllable EDIT: Pretty beaten now, very long anhyzers and huge S-curves)
DD Hysteria P-Line (A bit higher parting line, like the orange one but somewhat straighter EDIT: What the other DD used to be, pretty much)

I'm waiting for my Champ PDs, probably going to replace the first run. At some point I'll try out the P PD. EDIT: Got them, replaced the FR S-PD.

Bonus points for spotting "Waldo". ;)

Innova equals please.....
Apathy
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Apathy wrote:Innova equals please.....
P1 = Aviar P&A.
P2 = A bit less LSS than a BB Aviar.
MD1 = Ummm, premium Shark? Perhaps...
MD2 = Buzzz with Mako speed and glide.
GM = Gremlin.
CD = Viking with more glide, or in other words a more stable Valkyrie. The blunt First Run mold was actually more control driver'ish.
PD = PD is PD, you don't get it from anyone else. =)
TD = Faster, beefier and overall just plain better Roadrunner. Go to for straight shots when new and left->right shots when worn.
DD = Echo Star Wraith.
PD2 = Faster and more overstable XCal.
DD2 = Between the Katana and the Boss. Ie. more stable than the Katana, easier to throw than the Boss.

Gross simplifications obviously, a lot of the nuances are left out, but you get the idea.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:44 pm

jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:09 am

I'm going to start out the season without the warp speeders, easiest to work on the slower discs at this point. That means the PD2 and DD2 are out and I'll probably add an S-CD and either another PD or a DD, haven't decided yet.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm

So yeah, got myself a Grip bag and since I have the space I added a few non-essentials to my bag along with a couple of backups.
Putters:
1x Basic JOKERi (Wind, forehand, thumbers, more fade than the IONs)
1x FR Soft ION (Understable touch shots)
1x Soft ION (Less HSS and more LSS than the Medium)
1x Medium ION (Main putting and driving putter)

Mid ranges:
1x Vector (Overstable, wind resistant mid range)
1x C-MD2 (Mostly straight and hyzer shots, but can handle almost anything if worked right)
2x D-MD2 (One new neutral/slightly overstable one in rotation, one beat to understable)

Control drivers:
3x S-TD (One beat understable, two straight ones)
1x C-TD (Midway between then other TDs)
3x S-PD (One champystar that is pretty darn straight, two older ones that are still very much overstable)
2x C-PD (One somewhat beat, not as hard fading as it used to be and one new one)

Distance drivers:
1x TP Sword (Understable distance driver)
1x VIP Sword (Stable to overstable distance driver)
1x P-PD2 (Wind and skip)
1x C-PD2 (Same as above, but more overstable)
1x Premium RESPECTi (Utility disc, purely for thumbers and the occasional hurricane)

Pretty much the only thing I'd like to have is some more understable plastic, but I'm going the long way by breaking these in. I can still handle long and shorter understable duties with the beat S-TD and beat D-MD2, but I need to beat them in even more.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion