Get a grip -successful grip experimentations

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Trigger pull grip

Postby zj1002 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:54 pm

been busy with school the past week, havent spent really any time focusing on this(just playing casual rounds). I spent some time today trying to get this down again, but the lack of practice had me out of sync. I didn't pick up on the timing until 30+ minutes into throwing today. By then it was getting dark(not looking forward to time change), so I called it quits. I figured I could pick it up right away, but the time off really set me back. it was like starting from scratch again. hopefully I can remember the feeling tomorrow, and pick up on it faster. I got a whole day pretty much set up for practice driving, Im going to push for the magic 500 number. or atleast until i can't feel my arm anymore...
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby JR » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:53 am

I tried Bratten type of grip yesterday late in the field practice session when i was tired.With variations too. I'm not sure how much farther i could have thrown but i think the best version gave some more D but that is suspect because of the winds. ESP Nuke distance line in moderate right rear wind landed at around 400' skipping to 438'.

The modification was to have the middle finger slightly curled at the two outermost joints to be able to pull harder with the pad/tip corner being leveraged harder. I had the Jenkins type thumb tip/pad corner push down thanks to holding the disc low in the palm. The rear of the disc would have been parallel to the underside of the forearm had i not been able to push the nose and wrist down farther thus raising the rear of the disc. Muscle looseness is a great thing. The interesting thing about this grip is how well the disc is aligned tightly in the fingers thanks to the middle finger supporting the flight plate really well while having a good gripping force applied to the rim.

The Jenkins style of thumb application is fairly new to me and i had some slips getting more frequent as i tired more. I need to test this grip more in the long term to see how the slip issues pan out over time in actual rounds. I was throwing a lot of annies on D lines with the rear wind and i get more slips on annies than i do with other throws. The situation may be brighter for other throws. My skin was very dry and the temps being 44F doesn't help with moisture on the ground and discs further reducing grip and drying thus making my skin even slicker.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rusch_bag » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:22 pm

You guys are writing a ton, but I will try to type some results I have been having lately messing around with grips. I have always had a problem of ripping off of my middle finger instead of my index finger and when I saw that Discraft video and brattens grip, it opened my eyes. I went out to the field and boom, no more throwing off of my middle finger. Even if I just use it for awhile to train myself to rip off of my index finger I think it will help me greatly. The two finger grip is surprisingly more comfortable than I ever thought possible as well. I think the whole middle finger issue I was having is the reason why my distance with drivers has never been as far as what I thought it should be. I can put mids out to 350 if need be, but my fairway and distance drivers have never gone much further than that. I am going to keep playing around with that grip for sure.

Also, that jenkins thumb thing looks crazy and not comfortable.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby zj1002 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:33 pm

good to see someone is read all this and getting results. I keep trying to get out and practice all this stuff, but I end up running into people on my home course and getting into casual rounds or teaching them technique stuff(which is fine by me). I got a test tomorrow and will probably just ride to a driving range 15 minutes away so I can get some "alone time" with my grip.

we should probably rename this thread someone along the lines of "Experimental/Training Grips" or "JR and ZJ wall of text grips".
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Booter » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:42 pm

or you can name it " what's a zj....grip? " haha
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby rusch_bag » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:44 pm

zj does the aj with his hand
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Get a grip -successful grip experimentations

Postby fanter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:34 pm

Pictures seem like they'd do a better job of expressing what these reeaaallly long posts are saying, yeah? It's late and I don't feel like reading :P
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby zj1002 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:11 pm

The videos have the grips. I'll take some pics when I'm sober tomorrow
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby JR » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:00 am

As suspected when i threw in the rain at about 42F the AJ style of thumb usage proved very slippery indeed on Champion and bad enough on other plastics. Especially as the session grew longer and my skin got colder and drier skin oil wise>slicker. About 9' high Star TB 149 throw turned over a few degrees and moved about 40' right and landed too early for max D vs effort due to the too low apex but it had enough steam to skip to 397'. That is way farther than my previous TB record toss with a skip. But it has been a while since i've thrown TBs in other than headwinds. Both had some rear wind. That was a very successful throw form wise for me and one of the few tosses in that session when my arm was warmed enough to work and accelerate normally. Other than the pain of overusage.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:48 am

rusch_bag wrote:You guys are writing a ton, but I will try to type some results I have been having lately messing around with grips. I have always had a problem of ripping off of my middle finger instead of my index finger and when I saw that Discraft video and brattens grip, it opened my eyes. I went out to the field and boom, no more throwing off of my middle finger. Even if I just use it for awhile to train myself to rip off of my index finger I think it will help me greatly. The two finger grip is surprisingly more comfortable than I ever thought possible as well. I think the whole middle finger issue I was having is the reason why my distance with drivers has never been as far as what I thought it should be. I can put mids out to 350 if need be, but my fairway and distance drivers have never gone much further than that. I am going to keep playing around with that grip for sure.

Also, that jenkins thumb thing looks crazy and not comfortable.

I've been having similar issues when using the power grip. I feel A LOT more comfortable with the fan grip but always thought it would cause me to have a lack of power. After watching the video and seeing the MJ uses the fan, I might just keep rolling along with that (MJ throws far enough :D ). It's also the way I throw my putters and mids so it keeps everything consistent.

That Bratten grip sure is interesting...
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby jubuttib » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:01 pm

zj1002 wrote:Original thread(all thanks to Jub):
http://discgolfreview.com/forums/viewto ... 17&t=19641

Two things. One: It's not all thanks to me, Varsi was the one who shot the video (though it was my idea, camera and ION). I'm the guy running around gathering up his discs. Two: I prefer my nick to start with a lowercase j. =)

Where is this Bratten video, I can't seem to locate it? I've been having grip woes this year. They started when I accidentally found a working grip (with the trigger pull method actually) that worked really good for three consecutive days. Until then I didn't have any woes because I didn't know any better. =)

By Jenkins' thumb thing looking crazy, are you referring to him pressing with the tip of his finger? If so, I asked Dave F. about this at his clinic (I had been doing the same and Dave corrected me), said that even if Avery describes his grip like that, when he actually throws his thumb is flat like Dave's.
Last edited by jubuttib on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:52 pm

-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:50 am

Avery seems to have changed his thumb usage over time. I've seen him push with the corner of the tip of the thumb and the finger print. That's the way i've tried it. IIRC Bratten does the same.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby zj1002 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:37 pm

I am finally going to start testing this trigger pull again this week. No school in the way for the next two weeks. I have settled on not using the AJ grip, it is very unreliable if you don't have you timing right. Also gets very uncomfortable. I am breaking down every part of my throw in prep for the disc nation distance finals. I think my issue is body timing and grip. After watching a lot if videos the last week I finally see where I am doing every bit wrong. Now I just need to break it down and drill bit by bit every day until I'm beaten. I will probably move my following post to a new thread to chronicle non grip stuff. I will be using the trigger pull for some drills, so I'll post those results here.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:19 pm

Gave up on power gripping drivers in favor of fan gripping everything. Control is as good as ever and early/late release issues are infrequent with only a small loss in D. :D
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

PreviousNext

Return to Technique