Low Drives

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Low Drives

Postby bigs348 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:48 pm

I've been playing for almost three and a half years and I throw RHBH. I've just realized recently that I throw all my drives way too low: between 4 and 8 feet off of the ground. This is fine for most of my golf shots -- my home course is situated in a heavily wooded area with a lot of low ceilings -- but when driving on open field holes, I'd like to get more D.

I throw either flat line-drives with fairly overstable discs or a hyzer-flip with a Sidewinder. My typical "golf D" is around 340 to 350, but I've hit close to 400 before, maybe twice.

This is pretty good distance, but the disc never gets more than 8 feet off of the ground, even when I'm throwing a hyzer flip. I was content with my driving distance and have been working a lot more on my short game, but the more I read the instructional articles on this site, I realize that I could probably get more distance pretty easily with some added height. I love the fact that I can throw a disc 6 feet off of the ground and have it carry 350 feet, but it seems like I should be setting my goals higher.

The problem is that anytime I try to get some height on the disc, I think I might be getting the nose up on it. I don't know how to fix this, and I'm wondering if I should bother. I have decent distance and I don't want to screw up the mechanics of my throw too much -- I just want some more height without stalling the disc out. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:58 pm

throw hyzer or anhyzer when going for distance and lead the shot into the lowest point on the disc.

that is, if throwing hyzer, you want to push slightly left so that you throw into the hyzer angle (most nose down).

if throwing anhyzer, you want to pull the disc slightly right (compensate by aiming your body trajectory to the left slightly).

imo, i would probably try to learn distance and sky rolling as it will help this a LOT.

the other thing to try is getting your hands on slower drivers (ones that will not carry 350' at 6') in standard plastics and learning how to get them higher and make them "work".
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby bigs348 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:46 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Blake. I appreciate the tips.

I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm still having problems with the concept of nose down and nose up. I think I'm throwing with the nose too far down: that is my initial assessment of my throw. If you could clarify your "hyzer, nose down" comment, I would appreciate it.

I was thinking of going to a more understable disc, throwing with a lot more hyzer flip, and giving the disc a lot more time to rise while it's flipping.

As for slower discs, are you suggesting I go to like a Teebird or an Eagle, or even slower? Try and master a slower disc and then maybe eventually move up to something faster for more distance? I can throw a Panther about 300, and even that doesn't get over 12 feet of height.

Thanks.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:28 pm

if you look back a couple weeks, we had a good conversation on nose angle, it may be worth it to check it out.

If you can reach 350', you probably have pretty good throw mechanics and you dont need any advice other than height tips. The best one I know I got from the topic that I mentioned above. is to pull through from lower than usual to higher. The disc angle instead of pointing upward, you should think of throwing the disc into the celing so that it hits flat or the back of the disc first. (im sure its worded the best in the forum) but thats all Igot :lol:
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby bigs348 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:07 pm

Alright, there's a couple things I want to try now. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get out and practice (except for putting) until the weekend. Too dang dark.

1) I think I need to slightly adjust my grip. I throw with a 3-finger power grip (when I have my pinkie on the rim, it changes the position of the disc in my palm) and I usually have my thumb on the rim. After reading through some articles, I think I need to move my thumb slightly back on the flight plate off of the rim. This might help me to not throw quite as nose down as I do.

2) I'm going to try throwing a slightly more understable disc than my Sidewinder, with more of a hyzer flip, and let the disc rise by itself.

3) Work on coming through low to high.

I'm looking at this as an addition/improvement to my game, rather than as a replacement. I love being able to throw a tunneled low-ceiling shot at 6 feet off the ground, and I'm just looking for more distance off the tee on 400-500 foot holes. I think most people have problems learning to keep the nose down, so I guess I'm in a good spot. After reading through all the articles on this site, I think my form is pretty good, and I just need the height.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If anyone has anything else, I'd be happy to hear it and try it out.

P.S. I love the image of throwing the disc flat into a ceiling. That clears up so much for me, you don't even know. I think that's kind of been my biggest problem with nose up/nose down talk.
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:36 pm

i have an article called "understanding nose angles and trajectory"
which talks about what i'm tryin to explain.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:13 am

I have started playing around with height, and the results have been astonishing! I've increased my D by about 30%. I still throw my low, straight shots on may holes, but it is nice to have the option of skipping trees all together by throwing over them.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:38 am

Also, try to be quick and light on your feet. Like an antelope. When warming up for rounds, I twinkle about on my tippy toes to get my body accustomed to what I want it to do. This helped me get my nose down considerably, and with the increased rotation i aim 10' off the ground and it rises to 25'.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

low drives

Postby twmccoy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:40 pm

Funny that you say you throw a sidewinder. Every time I throw one it rises up from the point I released it. You don't need a ton of height for good distance, but if you're getting 350' off of 8' of height, you could easily go over 400' with higher drives. You might also try the new 2X beast. I have found this disc to be good at rising out of your hand.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby LastBoyScout » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:18 am

3 things I did to increase height. I now throw from shoulder height when going for D and if you need additional rise from what you disc normally does, I move my thumb further in towards the flight plane. The last method i do not use anymore. Make a low reach back and come back up to chest height for the release **making sure** that you keep the disc flat in your hand while imparting nose down to the disc. Basically just keeping the disc parallel to the ground but create an upward motion vector on the disc.

I hate sidewinders, roadrunners, and archangels.....I have to throw these discs on an almost 90 degree hyzer line from flat in order to have them turn over late..... otherwise it makes a great quick turning anhyzer disc, but i would rather use something more accurate like a coyote or a leopard for the short quick to medium turns and a 168 gram wraith for late turning anhyzers.
Best thing i ever did was learn 3 discs: A driver, midrange, and putter. Instead of having just one disc to do one thing, learn how to make one disc to multiple things. Just by cutting my bag contents down to limit disc decisions, i saw my average score drop by 10 strokes. Take away your ability to ask "What should i throw on this hole" and replace it with "Here is the disc that is going to get the job done"

That is the one thing that I had been taught when i first started playing disc golf; to have a limited but very versitile disc selection.
LastBoyScout

Return to Technique