What do you do for work / Do you like your job?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What do you do for work / Do you like your job?

Postby bill » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:49 am

i work for 16 radiologists as a PACS(picture archiving and communication system) administrator and all around IT tool. basically i try my best to keep my face firmly planted in each physician's backside and make sure they can read patient's images. i support 'regular' users too and occasionally i even get to ask one of the retards if they tried rebooting their pc.....

just like most others in an office environment or in IT, i don't care for it. if i could make what i make or close to it and keep my benefits i'd happily dig ditches.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Zachcos » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:23 am

I'm an actor, drummer, and student.

For money, I perform in paying stage musicals or take drumming gigs (usually other musicals.) It's feast or famine; You've either got your next 3-4 shows lined up or you're struggling to find auditions for a part that you're fit to play, but I really wouldn't have it any other way.

I spent a summer landscaping and spent a summer as a Network Admin for a huge insurance company and I have to say, I consistently make more money acting and drumming than I ever do in the corporate world.

Plus, with most rehearsals at night time, it gives me plenty of time to throw :)
Zachcos
Noob

Favorite Disc: ESP Force

Postby DiscZombie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:42 am

no one here gives a shit but Im a Food Service Consultant/designer.
DiscZombie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: D challenger

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:22 am

DiscZombie wrote:no one here gives a shit but Im a Food Service Consultant/designer.

What does that mean exactly?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby DiscZombie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:47 am

Well we help people in or looking to get the food service industry. We sell equipment, help them open, get permits, design (from receiving to dish to prep to the cookline to the table), ect.. We are a one stop shop.
DiscZombie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: D challenger

Postby matchu » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:31 pm

I am an artist, and of course I don't make any money. As many artist.
I used to be an HVAC designer before being laid off. Soon as I get some money I will set up a website begging for customers to draw portraits of there adorable children.
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:51 pm

matchu wrote:I am an artist, and of course I don't make any money. As many artist.
I used to be an HVAC designer before being laid off. Soon as I get some money I will set up a website begging for customers to draw portraits of there adorable children.

A lot more money in that than the kinds of art I do. . . There was a lady at a "art fair" (that turned out to be a craft fair, with ladys selling moo moo's, a guy selling pre made stuffed animals or even people selling beads they bought wholesale) that did colored pastel drawings of kids. for 20$ you could get a profile drawing in black and white, for 30$ you get it in color, and for 60$ the first head and 20$ for the rest you could get a portrait of all your kids in color. She also sold mats for her drawings for an extra $10. So her booth was right next to ours, and she would pull kids over when their parents weren't looking and draw them for free, and try to sell the picture to the parents for a discount (5$ off) if they wanted her "warm up drawing" (although she did this whenever there wasn't a line). She was always drawing some kid, and sold most of the drawings. Even overheard her make arrangements to do sibling portraits at peoples homes. The best part, every kid she drew (from profile) had the same nose, no matter which race or kind of kid. So all the drawings looked like a precious moments that resembled the kid, so the parents fell in love. Quite the gig, we were super jealous.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:31 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:I work as a server in a mexican restaurant, so i can relate to how awesome tortilla throwing can be.
Do I like my job? I have a degree in ceramics, and would love to do something with that, but Its hard to argue with a 30 hour a week job that pays the mortgage, and all my bills, and leaves plenty of time for art and disc and family. . .
I have been looking into more hands on jobs, working concrete, installing counters ect, but its hard to imagine a 40-50 hour a week job at 10$ will ever make me happy when a job working 30 hours a week, and averaging 18-25$ an hour doesn't either.

I'm pretty certain I will be leaving my corporate office job in the next few weeks to take a break and serve for a bit. Goodbye getting up early :D ! I realize that doing this will make me have to tighten up the ol fiscal belt but I'm totally down with that. The only things I really spend money on now are golf, occasional going out (overrated), and certain extracurricular activities. I'll curb the going out (less my lady wants pay for it :D, or very special occasions ) and limit my golf to the city munies.

I'm also pretty certain that serving isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life but I'm only 25, have no kids, no debt (aside from a car note which I will soon pay off) and work makes me miserable. I'm ready for a change and hopefully through this can figure out what I'd really like to do because cubicle work definitely is not it.

One question TDK, what do you do for health insurance? Get it through your old lady? Does anyone purchase their own individual health care plans and care to comment on it a little bit? It's possible my girlfriends' new job may offer health coverage for co-inhabitants.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:49 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:One question TDK, what do you do for health insurance? Get it through your old lady? Does anyone purchase their own individual health care plans and care to comment on it a little bit? It's possible my girlfriends' new job may offer health coverage for co-inhabitants.

Currently in the market? I have catastrophic insurance (cheap but helps when I wreck the motorcycle or get t-boned on my bicycle) but is not going to do me any good unless I have 15k+ in medical bills. We are looking around as my wife seems to think we are going to start trying to have kids soon :shock:
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:56 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:One question TDK, what do you do for health insurance? Get it through your old lady? Does anyone purchase their own individual health care plans and care to comment on it a little bit? It's possible my girlfriends' new job may offer health coverage for co-inhabitants.

Currently in the market? I have catastrophic insurance (cheap but helps when I wreck the motorcycle or get t-boned on my bicycle) but is not going to do me any good unless I have 15k+ in medical bills. We are looking around as my wife seems to think we are going to start trying to have kids soon :shock:

Not currently in the market but I think I will be soon. Thanks for the info.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:32 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:
Thatdirtykid wrote:

Not currently in the market but I think I will be soon. Thanks for the info.

Currently in the market was my answer. I wouldn't consider what I have as health insurance.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby T-Bird » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:34 pm

I am currently working as a "manager" at a Flooring company. Carpet, hardwood, tile, that sort of stuff.
I say "manager" because my "department" has shrunk from 6 to 1 (me) over the last 2 1/2 years because of the home building crash. I used to make pretty big bank in bonuses but I haven't seen one in 2 years now. Took a -$40K hit in 2009. I am an optimist so I still like my job but having to do everything myself can get pretty stressful.
I've learned to deal with it though.
Happy to have a job, right?
That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Been doing this for 4 years. Before that I was a manager and district manager at a paint store for 10 years.
Loved that job - I was the Golden Boy there. Won trips to Cancun for Manager of the Year and all that shiz.

Before that I was in college working on a degree in Secondary Health Education. Was 1 and 1/2 terms away from finishing when my daughter came along.
I don't need to fight to prove I'm right
I don't need to be forgiven yeah,yeah,yeah,yeah,yeah
T-Bird
Noob

Favorite Disc: Total Deucebag

Postby lokirising » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:56 pm

I handle reservations for a hotel chain.
You lost! You get nothing! Good day, sir!

-Willy Wonka
lokirising
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Pro-D Buzzz

Postby Itchy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Currently I'm an unemployed college student which is just about the best job I've ever had. GI Bill pays for tuition, books, rent, food and I still have enough money left over every month for a few new discs.

First job was a night shift janitor at wal*mart which was OK. You get 8 hours to do about 5 hours worth of cleaning and cardboard bailing plus they give you a bunch of stock and crap when you hire on.

While I was working there I got job number 2, a general fabricator at a custom bike shop. It was really only a two man shop, the other guy did all the welding and I did all the machining and mock up. That was a pretty fun job and I really liked it there, but they moved out of state so I lost that job. We worked 10 hour days, which sounds bad but after a while you don't really notice the extra two hours at the end of the day and the extra paycheck was pretty nice.

Then I got job number three, I joined the military. Enlisted in the navy and became a Cryptological Technician Collections. We were pretty much spies. That was the best job I've ever had, but I hated the navy and all their policies. One day you're running special operations in the middle east, the next day you're cleaning toilets and painting walls that were painted literally three weeks ago. It's kind of like wasting three years of your life and then being a major player in events that shape global geopolotical climate for a year. Also khakis treat blue shirts like garbage when you bust your ass to keep them safe. Plus it kind of messes with you when you loose your buddies. We lost one guy during our '08 deployment and had another commit suicide after we got back and I was pretty close with both of them.

On the health insurance note, I have Anthem Blue cross from my school... it's about $2,000 a year and if I get really messed up I can go to a VA hospital.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby lokirising » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:54 pm

Now here's my kind of workplace.

You lost! You get nothing! Good day, sir!

-Willy Wonka
lokirising
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Pro-D Buzzz

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.