Go with the FLOW

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Go with the FLOW

Postby Spike » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:30 am

I will get two Flows on Monday or Tuesday, one Opto and one G.L. Can’t wait! As soon as any of you try it, please post your initial impressions. Over here it’s not the best season to try discs; frost on the ground and below freezing point, so I guess the discs full potential will be harder to spot. But the job has to be done and some have to do it. Keep your test results coming!
Last edited by Spike on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Re: Go with the FLOW

Postby Spike » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:35 am

I wanted to try the two Flows (opto vs gold) side by side today, but the weather was too bad. The two look a bit different in shape (height of the dome), but the PLH is absolutely identical. GL is a bit flatter than the Opto. I really look forward to throwing them.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BLURR » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:54 am

Any chance of some side by side profile pic's? I am trying to decide which plastic to order. I am ordering up a River too. So I can only get one of the plastics for the flow
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Spike » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:07 am

BLURR wrote:Any chance of some side by side profile pic's? I am trying to decide which plastic to order. I am ordering up a River too. So I can only get one of the plastics for the flow

Here it is...
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discspeed » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:23 am

That is a beautiful profile^^^^^^. I will be grabbing a couple to test tomorrow.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Hoey » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:40 am

well, just threw it about a half dozen times in the field.

all I want to do is keep throwing it. It has the nearly all the glide of the river, with the rim of a super fast driver... it was remarkably easy to get goood distance with it. I was throwing it with a little bit of hyzer, and it would flip up and over (just a little bit) and glide for a while and then come down, fade wasn't too crazy. And for the people who can throw farther than I can... wow, it will go. Far.

And this is great because this is my favorite shot, the ol' flip to turn and glide drive.

I did throw the last one on a big "sky anny," and it would've got ridiculous distance if it didn't hit the tree line ~40ft in the air from where I was throwing it. Held the line and glided, flew flat for a while... then hit trees. Wish I could give you more, but... back to work.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby Spike » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:10 pm

discspeed wrote:That is a beautiful profile^^^^^^. I will be grabbing a couple to test tomorrow.

When you do, could you look at the profiles to see if the Optos are generally more domey than the G.Ls?
Hoey wrote:well, just threw it about a half dozen times in the field.

all I want to do is keep throwing it. It has the nearly all the glide of the river, with the rim of a super fast driver... it was remarkably easy to get goood distance with it. I was throwing it with a little bit of hyzer, and it would flip up and over (just a little bit) and glide for a while and then come down, fade wasn't too crazy. And for the people who can throw farther than I can... wow, it will go. Far.

And this is great because this is my favorite shot, the ol' flip to turn and glide drive.

I did throw the last one on a big "sky anny," and it would've got ridiculous distance if it didn't hit the tree line ~40ft in the air from where I was throwing it. Held the line and glided, flew flat for a while... then hit trees. Wish I could give you more, but... back to work.

Cool! Was that the Opto or Gold?
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Hoey » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:11 pm

it was a 171, Yellow, Opto.

thumbs up.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby chilidogg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:07 pm

I thought this was a queens of the stone age thread..
chilidogg
Noob

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby sunspot » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Hoey wrote:well, just threw it about a half dozen times in the field.

what would you rate the HSS and LSS?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:15 am

Spike wrote:Here it is...

I hope that not all GL's end up less domey than the Optos like that. I like how my GL and Opto Rivers all look exactly the same.
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:31 am

Is there a regulation on how sharp the rim can be?

There is a local disc golfer that has been playing since forever (high 2,000 pdga #) and he will occasionally bring his collection of old discs to learn us younger guys up on. He has this one black disc that must be 15-20 years old that has a rim as wide or wider than today's warp speed drivers and the nose comes to a point >. The thing is crazy sharp and looking at the Flow's profile kinda reminds me of it (not nearly as sharp though). Anyone know about this disc? Working Stiff?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby dgdave » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:37 am

Sounds like a Flazer. They were a Destiny Disc. I think this is the disc that started that rule.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Dag » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:04 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:Is there a regulation on how sharp the rim can be?

PDGA Tech Standards wrote:(11) have a rim configuration rating of 26.0 or greater;
(12) pass the leading edge radius test with a 1/16" (1.6 mm) radius gauge;

The full PDGA Tech Standards document is available here should you be interested.
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby NoLifeLeft » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:52 am

More pics in the Lat 64 thread.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Next

Return to Equipment